View Full Version : Good route for Moriah?

04-09-2010, 05:02 PM
We're hiking Moriah next weekend. Any opinions on which route is best? And by best, I mean, less steep and maybe less exhausting? It is the beginning of the season, after all!

04-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Hmmm - perhaps not so much the beginning of the season as the end of the season. Not sure what the conditions in that area are at the moment. The Carter Moriah range was pretty tough a few weeks ago after the huge amount of snow in March. Checked the trail conditions reports on the other sites and the most recent for Moriah was this one: http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/viewreport.php?entryid=1417

It's from a week ago so things could have changed a lot. Sounds like so fairly tough early spring conditions though.

04-11-2010, 08:20 AM

Here's another - and this one is using Stony Brook trail rather than Carter Moriah Trail. It's a couple days older but most of it is probably still relevant.


I know there is one water crossing on Stony Brook Trail that can be tough to cross during spring melt, but that's probably a day-to-day decision since the water levels change so quickly. If it stays colder this week in the mountains, then it should be OK. I think there's a bushwhack to avoid the water crossing, but I'm sorry I don't know any more than that.

I've never hiked Stony Brook, but Carter Moriah Trail is moderate with a few short steep sections. Overall, it's a nice hike. It has several "disheartening false summits" so don't get excited too early. ;)

As Mark mentioned, you will probably want to plan for spring snow. We obviously cannot say for certain what the conditions will be like, but Tim&I were on Cannon yesterday and it was snowing hard and there was 4-5 inches of new accumulation (on top of the deep, existing snowpack). We wore our snowshoes most of the day. Granted, that's a long way from Moriah, but I would expect the conditions to be more winter-like on Moriah than Cannon generally.

I would suggest watching the NewEnglandTrailConditions.com site this week. It's possible that someone may end up out there between now and Friday and could give you more up-to-date info.

Enjoy the hike!


04-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Thanks guys! I plan on checking the trail conditions all week and make a decision by Thursday night. We may have to look more southward this time around...Not looking forward to 'spring snow'. Yuck :(