PDA

View Full Version : Loons...and other spring things

forestgnome
04-10-2010, 06:09 AM
Loons have returned to Pea Porridge Ponds in Madison. They almost always arrive on April 15th, but yesterday at sunrise I heard the loud calls of a male establishing his territory...awesome!!!

What's your "spring has sprung" observation?

Snow Miser
04-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Down here in PA, the robins have returned, other various small birds are hurriedly building their nest, and the leaves are already making an appearance. It's an early spring for sure. I have even had to mow the lawn twice, and it's only April 10th.:eek:

KathyC
04-10-2010, 04:26 PM
I hear the birds chirping outside at 4 am.

Anna LeBlanc
04-10-2010, 04:48 PM
I've found the swans nesting place along our river and they have laid their eggs already!

Anna

fifteendays
04-11-2010, 12:27 AM
As of Monday or Tuesday, the phoebes have arrived. And, as always, they have begun building their nest in a most unfortunate spot-- on the light fixture next to my front door. Thus begins my annual chore of cleaning mud off of my light fixture.

I'm a bird nerd. I love birds. I work every year to expand my life list. I put wonderful, countless hours into birdwatching, bird IDing and photography. But why, drab little phoebes, why do you always try to set up shop on that one light fixture? Why?? It ain't gonna happen. Not this year, not any year. Sorry, phoebes.

M_Six
04-11-2010, 12:34 AM
Had to mow the lawn today. Peonies are up about 6 inches. Daffodils are in bloom. Three sure signs of spring. :D

M_Six
04-11-2010, 12:36 AM
As of Monday or Tuesday, the phoebes have arrived. And, as always, they have begun building their nest in a most unfortunate spot-- on the light fixture next to my front door. Thus begins my annual chore of cleaning mud off of my light fixture.

I'm a bird nerd. I love birds. I work every year to expand my life list. I put wonderful, countless hours into birdwatching, bird IDing and photography. But why, drab little phoebes, why do you always try to set up shop on that one light fixture? Why?? It ain't gonna happen. Not this year, not any year. Sorry, phoebes.

Haha. I had a bird who would try her best to build a nest on the shelf in my garage. Any time I left the door up for more than ten minutes, she'd be flying in and out with twigs. I'd gladly let her stay if there was some way to secure the garage and still let her come and go.

Jimmy Legs and Little d
04-12-2010, 11:48 AM
I hear the birds chirping outside at 4 am.

I've heard birds chirping at 10:30 pm. Is that considered normal?

Since we had temperatures in the 90's last week, everything is blooming here in Maryland; forsythias, daffodils, dogwood trees, lilacs, iris; way ahead of the normal schedule.

And unfortunately, the pollen is heading for a record season here.:rolleyes:

Donna