PDA

View Full Version : What's your avgerage pack weight?

MelNino
04-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Yeah, I know this has been asked already, but I am bored at work and interested what everyone carries with 'em when they do the Whites.

Last I weighed my pack it was 18 pounds! I had water, food, fleece jacket, fleece vest, water proof jacket/pants, first aid, and various misc stuff I can probably leave off (curse of the pack rat)

Been reading up on pack weight in other forums and it's pretty interesting what people think is essential and what is pointless :)

claaky23
04-16-2010, 04:36 AM
I usually carry excess water.

MelNino
04-16-2010, 06:23 AM
Same here....when I hiked with my buddies in high school...no one brought water, so I got in the habit of bringing extra.

mtruman
04-16-2010, 03:28 PM
In the summer in the Whites probably about 15# for a mountain day hike. Quite a bit more in the winter with the extra gear for clothing layering and emergency. Max in summer has been about 25# for multi-day hut-to-hut hikes.

mahony
04-16-2010, 05:29 PM
Since I usually camp and want to be prepared for anything I rarely carry a pack less than 35 pounds and have gone over 50 regularly. I like to be comfortable and I can carry the weight, though Huntington Ravine is scary.

HeyRay
04-20-2010, 04:03 PM
I have never weighed my pack but in the winter, Zero degree bag, pad, two days food, two liters water, one change of dry clothes, waterproof pants and jacket, filter or stove (share items with partners). Does what your wearing count, snowshoes, crampons, gaiters etc.
I know I feel it a lot more in the rain and wet snow. I would say my winter pack is 25-30 lbs. Summer 20 lbs.
The only time it was very heavy for me was packpacking in Yosemite and carrying a full set of rock climbing equipment. Whew !:eek:

MelNino
04-20-2010, 09:59 PM
Hmmm, I think I can try to get mine down to 15...though my pack empty is rather heavy...

adknight
04-21-2010, 09:00 PM
I go on a lot of multi-day solo trips so I take enough gear to play it safe. For me 50lbs+ is the norm although I've done a few trips where I had packed up to 65lbs ... these are weights for gear carried in the winter mind you. During the summer I'm usually toting 30-35lbs.

MelNino
04-23-2010, 09:38 AM
This is just for popping up Washington, so just a day hike. After we got caught in the bad wx last year, I'm a bit paranoid, haha.

adknight
04-24-2010, 09:50 PM
This is just for popping up Washington, so just a day hike. After we got caught in the bad wx last year, I'm a bit paranoid, haha.It is always better to have gear and not need it, then need it and not have it ... especially when it can mean the difference between surviving and dying from exposure.

Charlie
04-25-2010, 02:52 PM
It is always better to have gear and not need it, then need it and not have it ... especially when it can mean the difference between surviving and dying from exposure.

you never know whats going to happen ,the weather could be good but you twisted your leg and help cant get there until morning .do you have the things to stay the night or even 8hr out there

Snow Miser
04-25-2010, 02:57 PM
you never know whats going to happen ,the weather could be good but you twisted your leg and help cant get there until morning .do you have the things to stay the night or even 8hr out there

So true. My pack usually weighs in at 25 lbs, but I don't mind, just so I have the things I'll need in case I have to spend the night.

MelNino
04-25-2010, 07:38 PM
Excellent points, and ones I usually follow...I think I was just "inspired" by the ultra lightweight people over on another forum, talking about carrying just 20 lbs for the AT, hahaha

Brad&Val
04-25-2010, 08:27 PM
When not acting as a sherpa for my lovely wife, I average around 10 lbs in summer. In the winter I never weigh my pack as I don't want to get depressed. If I think there is even a remote chance I may need something it goes in the pack.