PDA

View Full Version : Quite a Contrast from One Day to the Next (Apr 15-16, 2010)

1HappyHiker
04-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Below is a photo taken out my back door this morning (16-April)!

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_jMddpAdzX0E/S8hwbTeHEPI/AAAAAAAAHCo/UESfB8KyxAs/s800/P1040721.JPG

This is quite a contrast to the conditions experienced only yesterday (15-April). I had just a few hours available to me to hike, and so I did the short trek to that spot called the "Nubble" which is located in the Twin Mountain area. Since I live in Bethlehem, the Nubble is a local hike for me.

Less than 24 hours ago, there were snow-free conditions all the way to the Nubble, and there were yellow violets in bloom in several spots along the way.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_jMddpAdzX0E/S8hwU3lsTnI/AAAAAAAAHCc/gxDVyHWKg8A/s800/P1040702.JPG

While hiking through the open woods on the approach to the Nubble, you could see it through the trees, rising up from its snow-free surroundings.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_jMddpAdzX0E/S8hwXjfzZqI/AAAAAAAAHCg/3kDbC2Q9PuU/s800/P1040707.JPG

Then, once on top of the Nubble, the only snow to be seen was on the higher peaks, such as shown in the photo below with the three Sugarloafs (North, Middle, South) in the foreground and the Presidential Range in the background.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_jMddpAdzX0E/S8hwZRCgXkI/AAAAAAAAHCk/M69O6Os6BNA/s800/P1040716.JPG

It was a short hike, but enjoyable nonetheless. And, it was a short Springtime experience (before return to winter conditions), but enjoyable nonetheless!:D

1HappyHiker

Jimmy Legs and Little d
04-16-2010, 02:53 PM
John,
Even though it is spring, I am still enjoying reports showing winter scenes; it beats muddy trails and monorails. As the old saying goes: "what a difference a day makes.";)

Donna:)

Snow Miser
04-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Very nice pictures John. Your short springtime hike is only a preview of what's to come. For now, "Old Man Winter" just wants to keep his grip on New Hampshire. Thanks for sharing the wintry scene.:)

Charlie
04-16-2010, 04:49 PM
i wish i had that look out my back door :D

KathyC
04-17-2010, 06:54 AM
i wish i had that look out my back door :D

Me too!!! That is just beautiful...

1HappyHiker
04-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Donna; Bob; Charlie; Kathy: I thank each of you for taking a moment to respond!

Also, Charlie and Kathy thank you for the nice words about the view out my back door. But please remember that I do have the good fortune of living in Bethlehem which is in the White Mountain region where all the views are good!:) And so, my particular backyard view isn't that unique when considering where my home is located!:D

Charlie
04-17-2010, 09:42 PM
but your back door is in the White Mountain region :D

my back door is in farm land PA :rolleyes:

KathyC
04-18-2010, 07:26 AM
From my back yard you can see all of my neighbors back yards and the condo's on the other block. I guess it's better then looking at the factory that used to be there...........but it's home......:rolleyes:

I want trees, lakes and animals to look at...

mtruman
04-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Incredible contrast. This is always an interesting time of year in NE. Thanks John.

Anna LeBlanc
04-18-2010, 09:55 PM
From my back yard you can see all of my neighbors back yards and the condo's on the other block. I guess it's better then looking at the factory that used to be there...........but it's home......:rolleyes:

I want trees, lakes and animals to look at...

I think if you could have that and Yankee Stadium out your back door you would be in haeven.:p:D:p

_________
Anna

Rich
04-19-2010, 10:42 AM
John, what's your approach to Haystack? Looks like it would be a fun little climb while we're in Twin this summer.

KathyC
04-19-2010, 04:18 PM
I think if you could have that and Yankee Stadium out your back door you would be in haeven.:p:D:p

_________
Anna

I could do without it or could be a road trip.

Have you ever been to the Bronx?:eek:

Anna LeBlanc
04-19-2010, 06:42 PM
I could do without it or could be a road trip.

Have you ever been to the Bronx?:eek:

Kathy,

I've never been to NYC in my entire life and have no desire whatsoever to go.I'd much rather be in NH with the four-legged animals then in ANY city with the two-legged variety!!:D:p