PDA

View Full Version : Baldface Ridge 4/16/17

HeyRay
04-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Second attempt at this ridge and I will be returning for a 3rd try. Rain on Friday turned to snow at south baldface shelter. The snow did not stop until we were out of the woods at 4pm Saturday. Gained about a foot of fresh snow. The trail above the shelter was challenging to say the least.
Had about 50' of vis. Luckily we were with a local who knows the trails. We made it as far as just north of north baldface where we lost the trail on meader trail. We then turned around and came back down slipperly brook trail.
Strange enough we saw a elder man heading south towards us between south and north baldface and he was completely covered in snow. He said don't follow his trail because he was going in circles bushwacking his way up. He looked a little paniced so we told him to follow our tracks back to the shelter and he could find the trail down after that. Now I have expierenced for the first time why people die doing stuff like this. He seemed unprepared and didn't know what trail he came up and what trail he was trying to find. He had a compass around his neck, not sure about a map and he was alone in very bad conditions.
A great expeirence, I love winter backpacking.:cool:
I tried to attach a pic, hope it works.

Snow Miser
04-20-2010, 04:29 PM
Nice photo HeyRay. It looks nice and snowy up there. Good luck on your 3rd attempt. Looking forward to reading about it.

I hope the older fella found his way back down.

mtruman
04-20-2010, 08:17 PM
Definitely a tough place to be this time of year even for someone who's prepared like you were. Adding my hopes that the person that you met made it down safely. Your picture says a lot. Good experience indeed.