PDA

View Full Version : Advertising in state parks

MechAeroE
04-27-2010, 12:29 AM
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126286837&ft=1&f=

I heard this on NPR earlier today, opinions?

Snow Miser
04-27-2010, 07:56 AM
My feeling is that this seems fine at first, but has the potential to get out of hand as time goes by. I know the parks need more funding, but this doesn't seem like a good solution.

mahony
04-28-2010, 06:25 AM
I don't see the problem...why just last week I saw advertising for Maple tree, Oak tree, Beech tree, Moose poop, and running water... all along the trail....:D:D

spyboy
04-29-2010, 12:41 PM
If they can't raise money, they'll close the parks, then probably sell off the land to developers. I'm not a fan of advertising in the parks, but this could generate revenue to keep them open (provided the Park Rangers don't look like NASCAR guys with 50 sponsorships on them).

The key thing is to figure out how to make the ads classy. No billboards or big full color images, but perhaps a hand carved sign or something? Make it blend in better.

The bigger question is, why is it so expensive to run the parks? Insurance? Crime? What?

adknight
05-09-2010, 10:54 AM
I think you lads need to start calling and writing to your government officials. If a park is having trouble sustaining itself they need more funding, and it should come from the taxes you already pay. It is a slipperly slope once commercial entities start getting involved. I wish you folks the best.

Spyboy, good question on the funding issue. Can anyone shed some light on this subject?