PDA

View Full Version : STP: So how are we doing?

fifteendays
05-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Hi everyone,

Taking a glance at the Seek the Peak stats thus far, I thought I'd offer this quick look at how we're doing so far... The short answer is "GREAT!"

As of this moment, we have 361 registered hikers, with 5-6 new participants signing up every day. We've had a fantastic response to the ad we placed in AMC Outdoors, so thank you and welcome to those of you who were inspired to sign up after seeing the ad. Questions? Comments? Feel free to post 'em here-- the MWO forums community is largely to credit for the overwhelming success of Seek the Peak and they're a tremendous resource for all STP hikers, rookies and veterans alike.

So far, $74,000 has been raised, including corporate sponsors and individual donors. At the event, make sure to say thanks to new STP sponsors Stonyfield Farm and Tuckerman Brewing Company, as well as our friends at L.L.Bean, who have supported this event for eight years. Subaru of America has been HUGE for us over the years. We're coming up on TWENTY years of partnership with Subaru and they have been a presenting sponsor of STP from the very beginning. Subaru is the sole reason we're able to celebrate the tenth STP anniversary this year with a concert, so we are so thankful for their unyielding support for this great cause.

If you're on the fence, it's coming up on decision time... The first 400 participants to register and raise the minimum $100 get all the good stuff-- our famous STP goodie bag, a concert ticket, a sweet long-sleeve event t-shirt, door prizes, STP After Party tickets, etc. etc. We're capping the event at 500 hikers this year, so sign up, raise the requisite $100+ and seal your place in New England's premier hiking event!

At the STP After Party, we've lined up a fantastic bluegrass band straight out of Mississippi-- nothing like live high-energy acoustic music to stir the soul after a great day on the mountain! I don't know how Karen found them, but she did. It's not like we have Mississippi bluegrass bands just hanging out around town here in North Conway!

For those of you who hit the trail at the crack of dawn and finish early, we're putting the finishing touches on a new outdoor recreation expo that will be set up at the STP tent throughout the afternoon on STP Saturday. While you're waiting for the BBQ and music to start, you'll be able to visit with a number of outdoors-related exhibitors, some national, some local, some big, some small. More to come on that topic soon.

Prizes? Yup, we've got a few... The list has been released (http://www.seekthepeak.org/prizes.php), and more stuff is coming in all the time. Got a prize to donate? We'll be happy to accept... and we'll pass them right back to our hikers at the STP After Party! Will Brad win another 1-year lease of a Subaru? Will Ed need a U-Haul for his prize loot this year? We'll find out in about 2 1/2 months!

Thanks so much to everyone for such enthusiastic support of the Observatory-- we truly would not be where we are today without you.

Take care,

Scot Henley
MWO Executive Director

Brad
05-07-2010, 06:03 AM
My large STP e-mail blast went out last week. It had to be broken into 7 e-mails as the distribution list was too long. That took me from $50 to $600 in 2 days. Still, no where near Ed.

Facebook has been a great way of reminding folks about going to the URL to do the donation. I still have a ways to go to get another fleece. I have worn my STP09 red fleece almost every day till it got real warm recently. Folks out there, you NEED a fleece!

An update on the Subaru you may see driving around with license plates "MWO-STP". Yes, that is me. The lease allows me to drive 30,000 miles. That is 2,500 miles a month. I am having so much fun driving it, I am over budget. I hit 12,000 miles a couple of weeks ago. So, I had to do a Maine to PA drive and some in-state driving with my wife's Subaru (she does need a new one). I have had the car 4 months (delivery was delayed due to Cash for Clunkers then Toyota's problems - all putting Subaru's manufacturing on full blast and they still could not keep up - and anyone who drives the new 2010 Outback wants one). At 4 months I should be at 10,000 miles.

I am still planning on a drive to the summit of Mt Washington for a photo opportunity and the new year round pass at the Mt Washington Auto Road announced yesterday sounds like a good deal for me.

Do I like the car? I love it! Maine to Ohio was an average of 30 MPG. Overall for the 12,000 miles I have gotten 27.3 MPG. It is extremely comfortable to drive or ride in (I don't do that - I drive it). Just a great car in any kind of conditions - including 15" of snow.

CHRIS
05-07-2010, 06:50 AM
Thanks Scott for the update and I am really looking forward to this years STP. I do believe it is going to be the best yet. As far as Brads Suby. It is a beautiful car.

Snow Miser
05-07-2010, 07:51 AM
Scot, Thanks for the update. I too am really looking forward to this year's events. You and your team are making some very nice additions for STP10. Can't wait until July 23rd.:)

Rich
05-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Thanks Scot for the update! I'm psyched along with my 10yo. He's even raised some money on his own this year.

I do have a question. Who pays the bands (Fri night and Sat) commissions? Stonyfield or Subaru?

fifteendays
05-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Who pays the bands (Fri night and Sat) commissions? Stonyfield or Subaru?

The short answer is: We do.

We put the overall event plan together long in advance, build the budget and aim to hit the income and expenses associated with that budget. Adding a third major sponsor and securing additional support from Subaru has given us the ability to take this big step with STP, and it's the right time to do it. You guys have taken this event and turned it into a monster-- so it's on us (MWO) to keep it fresh, exciting and worthwhile for everyone.

Our hikers do so much for this event, so I always want to make sure we're doing the best we can to reward everyone for their huge efforts, year after year. If STP ever gets stale, you all have full permission to come to my office and smack me!

We're shooting for well over $200k this year, including sponsorship, concert ticket sales and hiker donations, which is almost double last year's event. I'm confident that we're going to do it.

Take care,
Scot
MWO Staff

Charlie
05-07-2010, 03:23 PM
The short answer is: We do.

We put the overall event plan together long in advance, build the budget and aim to hit the income and expenses associated with that budget. Adding a third major sponsor and securing additional support from Subaru has given us the ability to take this big step with STP, and it's the right time to do it. You guys have taken this event and turned it into a monster-- so it's on us (MWO) to keep it fresh, exciting and worthwhile for everyone.

Our hikers do so much for this event, so I always want to make sure we're doing the best we can to reward everyone for their huge efforts, year after year. If STP ever gets stale, you all have full permission to come to my office and smack me!

We're shooting for well over $200k this year, including sponsorship, concert ticket sales and hiker donations, which is almost double last year's event. I'm confident that we're going to do it.

Take care,
Scot
MWO Staff

now you dont want us to do that :eek:

Rich
05-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Thanks Scot. Personally, I wouldn't mind a bit listening to some recorded music and seeing that money stay in the OBS budget, and as a reward....a big thank you would be great. Our job as members (and STP participants) is to raise every dollar possible for your organization. Again, I do LOVE the live music at the after party but, being non-profit, we need to save where we can. I was hoping you were going to say the Friday night concert was done gratis. Don't hate me people. Just sayin'...

fifteendays
05-08-2010, 12:54 AM
I hear you, Rich. We weigh every decision with your exact position in mind. My goal is to strike the perfect balance between being frugal and growing the event. I'm not sure if we have the perfect formula, but we're giving it our best shot.

For us to build this event into something bigger than it's ever been, we believe that we need to take a few chances, always with our members' and donors' interests in mind. The Friday concert adds a whole new income stream for the Obs. The after party is where we really connect with those who have busted their tails for us, and if spending a few hundred dollars on great entertainment makes a few dozen folks decide once and for all that they will be here again in 2011, it's money well spent. For people like you that know us, believe in the cause and work hard to help the Obs, we may not need to work quite as hard to lure you back for STP 11. For newcomers, it's the first impression that counts.

I really appreciate your comments-- I hope that I can report sometime in August that our goals have been met and that STP 10 was an extraordinary success, hopefully alleviating the concerns that you have.

Of course, if anyone has a serious musical performer that can draw 3000+ people for a concert and do it for free, send them my way for 2011! What's Jimmy Buffett doing these days? :-)

Have a great weekend, folks!

Scot
MWO Staff

Brad
05-08-2010, 06:00 AM
Of course, if anyone has a serious musical performer that can draw 3000+ people for a concert and do it for free, send them my way for 2011! What's Jimmy Buffett doing these days? :-)

Have a great weekend, folks!

Scot
MWO Staff
Well, darn. I was going to offer my singing services for STP11 - till I saw the word "serious". We could have a MWO Forum Chorus.:cool:

Charlie
05-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Well, darn. I was going to offer my singing services for STP11 - till I saw the word "serious". We could have a MWO Forum Chorus.:cool:

i said i can bring up my canjo ,a 5gal bucket with a string ,wash boards ,spoons and the singer Rosie
we will do it for free :D

mtruman
05-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Well I for one would buy tickets to hear Rosie sing. Seriously it's great to hear that things are going so well. Can't wait to participate in another record breaking STP!

Charlie
05-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Well I for one would buy tickets to hear Rosie sing. Seriously it's great to hear that things are going so well. Can't wait to participate in another record breaking STP!

thats it thats how i can get to my $1000 is to go on tour with Rosie :D

Rich
05-10-2010, 02:16 PM
Scot, thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my question in detail. We are very much looking forward to STP 10!

Now, who wants to buy an extra ticket to the Friday night concert? I got one for sale! (proceeds go to my STP pledge page.) ;)

MOAB149
05-12-2010, 12:47 PM
thats it thats how i can get to my $1000 is to go on tour with Rosie :D

Charlie,

My brother-law has a pair of Labs that do math, addition, subtraction and even square roots. They also can read minds. They are really something to see. Maybe I can borrow them to get me to 10K.