PDA

View Full Version : Trimble Outdoors Android GPS App

mtruman
05-18-2010, 11:21 PM
For anyone who hikes and has an Android phone Trimble Outdoors just made a huge improvement to their apps. They now have MyTopo maps rather than the old USGS maps and the difference is amazing. The maps have most of the White Mountain trails (and others everywhere too). There is a version of TO for a number of other phones as well but surprisingly not for the iPhone.

You can see the maps online as well and there are hundreds of trips from Backpacker Magazine with GPS routes, POIs and photos from other users. Here's a sample of the Wildcat/Carters: http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip.aspx?tripID=399963&mode=TripMap
Be sure to select the MyTopo view at the top right to see the topo view

The nice thing about this app vs. other map apps on the phone (other than the great topo maps) is that the maps are cached on the SD card in the phone. This means you can select your location before going out, pan around the map to cache the necessary location and you then don't need a cell signal to download the maps while you are hiking. Very nice. Better yet the cost for the Android version is $9.99 one time - no monthly fees.

billysinc
05-19-2010, 07:48 AM
Hey Mark how much room on the SD card do the maps take up? Do you have to load all the maps or just the ones you need?

Snow Miser
05-19-2010, 07:53 AM
Very nice Mark! I like the fact that the maps are cached on the SD card. I hope a version my Palm Pre Plus comes out soon. And $9.99 is a very reasonable price.