PDA

View Full Version : How long do the black flies stick around in the Whites?

KSearl
06-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have a good idea on how long the black flies stick around in the whites? Is mid-June a safe guess as to when you won't get swarmed anymore?

Thanks for the help,
Karl

JimS
06-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Mid June is a good bet for most of them...the swarms atleast. That being said, there are always a few straglers, and a second, much less oppresive hatch in mid August. I was uncomfortable on Zeacliff last August, but nowhere near like I was this past week on the Baldies!

KSearl
06-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Thanks Jim!
Karl

Brad
06-02-2010, 04:23 PM
I am convinced that I killed them all today. There can't be any more.

I was concerned even changing lens on my camera - they would get in the camera itself!

spyboy
06-03-2010, 08:05 AM
Me: "Dust on your sensor?"
Brad: "Nope, black flies"

I was concerned even changing lens on my camera - they would get in the camera itself!

MelNino
06-03-2010, 01:58 PM

Between you and me killing, there shouldn't be any left...they were brutal yesterday on Lafayette.....my neck is all bitten, and my eye is swollen.

Still worth it...I love Lafayette, Lincoln, and Little haystack...and I now feel like a true White Mtn hiker.....and I have the bites to prove it.

Charlie
06-03-2010, 05:37 PM
does stuff like Off or other types of bug repellents work

Brad
06-03-2010, 05:57 PM
does stuff like Off or other types of bug repellents work
Some people say yes. Some say they attract the bugs. Some say the worse the stuff smells, the better it works. I never use it.

Breeze
06-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Charlie, at the Tollhouse on the Auto Road, we have quite a menu selection for bug dope. What disappears quickest is Cutter's Backwoods, second fave is Deepwoods OFF, Ben's 100 has a small but loyal following, and the rest collects dust.

Folklore says blackfiles are most prevalent Mothers Day to Fathers Day, but that is valley wisdom and does't take into consideration breeding temps in running water at altitude, or rainfall to keep water levels up. Nor does it speak to Mosquitos, who need still water at higher temps.... sigh.

My experience-- I slather up with Baby Oil, soak a visored BB cap with Backwoods Cutter, and pray for some wind.

Breeze

KSearl
06-03-2010, 07:39 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments.

I think different people attract them more than others too. My wife and I hiked Osceola this past weekend. I had one bite at the end of the day and she had at least 30. For some reason, she always comes away with more bug bites than me.

Charlie
06-04-2010, 09:26 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments.

I think different people attract them more than others too. My wife and I hiked Osceola this past weekend. I had one bite at the end of the day and she had at least 30. For some reason, she always comes away with more bug bites than me.

she must be sweeter then you :eek: