PDA

View Full Version : Lakes of the Clouds Overnight Suggestions

Bill O
06-07-2010, 08:32 PM
I'm looking for some suggestions to spice up an overnight trip to Lakes in early July.

I am planning on driving up from CT on day one so I probably wont be on the trail until at least noon. Which limits the first day to a quick shot up the Ammo. Possibly a hike after dinner before sunset (any suggestions for an evening hike wanted).

Day 2 I'd like to summit Mount Washington, and try something new. I've been thru the Alpine Garden, but never in early July. I've also been down the Jewell, but that was over 20 years ago.

I guess there aren't a lot of options with my limited time frame, but any new ideas / thoughts would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Brad
06-08-2010, 05:53 AM
I would do Monroe for sunset.

Bill O
06-08-2010, 06:48 AM
I would do Monroe for sunset.

Yep, I think that part of the trip is settled now.

JimS
06-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Hmmm...knowing your level of fitness and adventure...I might loop down into the great gulf, have lunch at the shores of spaulding lake, and jump up one of the gulleys (keeping to the rocks of course). Perhaps all the way around to six husbands...but that's a long day.

Being down in the gulf is a great experience...especially now that many of the cogs are diesel!

Bill O
06-08-2010, 08:04 PM
That's bold, I like it. I didn't think of getting into the Great Gulf. Even if I don't get into the Gulf I'm thinking about going down the Caps.

Anybody know what time they serve dinner / breakfast at the huts?

climbabout
06-09-2010, 08:01 AM
Bill - dinner is at 6pm, breakfast at 7am.
Tim

rockin rex
06-10-2010, 07:18 AM
Jim is right on. I would head into the great gulf. Bill with your strength You could possibly head all the way down to six husbands and climb back up to Jefferson and head back. The great gulf is awesome with so many different swimming holes to jump into. If it is a blue bird day you could even take the buttress trail and do a 1/2 presie traverse. I will say six husbands is one of my favorite trails. Bill enjoy your stay at L.O.C. It is a great hut and they usually have an awesome croo.

Bill O
06-10-2010, 08:11 AM
I guess it depends on the weather (and how I feel, I'm running a half marathon 6 days before the hike). If its a perfect day getting all the way to Six Husbands would be great. I've never really been into the Great Gulf.

It's also fairly committing getting down there. If something went wrong in the Gulf it's a long way down and even farther back to my car.

Either way, it's a good plan. Thanks for the advice.

Bill O
06-21-2010, 05:17 PM
Can somebody remind me what I need for sleeping. What do most people do?

I'd prefer not to carry a sleeping bag. Do they still provide a blanket and pillow? I was thinking of just bringing sheets and a pillow case or some sort of light sheet "sleep sack".

Brad
06-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Some answers for you about Lakes of the Clouds is at http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/whitemountains/huts/huts-accommodations.cfm

Bill O
06-22-2010, 07:01 AM
Some answers for you about Lakes of the Clouds is at http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/whitemountains/huts/huts-accommodations.cfm

Thanks Brad. I'm going with sheets. That silk sleepsack is possibly one of the most uncomfortable things ever invented.

Bill O
07-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Trip was a success, albeit a shorter hike than planned. Full trip report here:

http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?p=42117#post42117

Thanks for all the tips / suggestions.