PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in New Hiking Boots

KSearl
06-11-2010, 08:03 AM
Hey Everyone,

My Merrills (Moab model) wore out after one season of hiking, so my buddy convinced me to go for "backpacker" boots rather than lighter "hiking" boots. I ended up getting Asolo TPS520GV's which are over ankle high and all leather with a Gortex booty.

Does anyone have any quick ways that I can break them in? I have worn them once and man, they are stiff. I won't say that they are uncomfortable just yet...just really stiff. I'm thinking once they loosen up, the comfort will fall into place. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Karl

Bill O
06-11-2010, 08:41 AM
Take them back and get something lighter? Since it's probably too late for that I would just wear them all the time. Around the house, everywhere.

KSearl
06-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yes, probably too late to return them at this point. My buddy told me to get these ones for the ankle support as well he said they would last much longer than the typical, light weight boots.

The guy at EMS told me to soak them in hot water and then hit the bleachers up and down to break them in...I don't think I'm that motivated to soften them up thought.

Thanks again.

mtruman
06-12-2010, 07:13 AM
Those boots will take a lot of breaking in. I bought a pair of Limmer Lightweights a couple of years ago and it has taken forever to break them in. The current generation of lightweight (e.g., not all hard leather) boots sure have an advantage in that department. EMS is not good about taking back boots. They will only do it if they haven't been worn outside (which is pretty much useless). REI is great in that department. They will take them back forever no matter how much they've been worn or the reason for the return. Keep working on on them. Not sure about the hot water idea. Sounds kinda hokey. Get some boot grease and just keep working it in (like softening up a baseball glove). Should help some anyway. The other thing that the guys a Limmer told me was to just wear the boots every day rather than hiking in them to begin with.

KSearl
06-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Thanks Mark! I'm worried about how long it will take to break them in, but I think in the long run, I will be better off with them. I wore them today on flat trails at the Massabesic Audubon center and they felt pretty good.

Any suggestions on what kind of oil I should work into them (mink oil perhaps?). I worry about rubbing anything into them because I don't want it to clog the Gortex...not sure if that is possible or not. I have used bees wax in the past to treat boots...again, not sure if that would have a negative affect on the Gortex or not.

Again, thanks for the reply.
Karl