PDA

View Full Version : Ammonoosuc Ravine and Jewell loop

marla_lee
06-11-2010, 02:08 PM
I plan to hike Mt Washington for the first time next weekend. I will be combining the Ammonoosuc Ravine and Jewell trails to form a loop. Has anyone here done this before and if so, do you have any experience to share?
Are there any guides for this particular route?

Thank you!

thesubwaypusher
06-13-2010, 12:26 AM
Hi Marla:

This is my first post. I'm here to find answers/suggestions just as you are! But I can help you as I have done that loop- in fact, that is the only way I have climbed MW since I was a kid all those 49 years ago! I can tell you that you can go up either way first, but the Amm... would be easier to ascend first because it is rockier. You don't have to be a professional hiker, but you should train a bit by running or hiking in the weeks prior to your cllimb. Do not go cold! It will take you 4-5 hours each way, so get started early so you don't find yourself coming down in the dark- although that can be fun I guess. I have to go post my question now about going up the Great Gulf trail-that's on the other side of the mountain!

Good luck and be safe.

Chris

MelNino
06-13-2010, 09:55 AM
I love that loop :)

Going up Ammo is really pretty...like being in a really old woods. Going down Jewell is neat....esp when you see the Cog going up ( I swear first time I did this loop people took pics from the train of me and my friends)

Have a safe and fun hike.

CHRIS
06-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Hi Marla and welcome to the forum.
I have done that loop twice. The hike on the way up the Ammo isn't bad until after the Gem pool. From there it does get steep but I found the rocks on the trail work great as stairs. There are plenty of waterfalls to see.I usually stop @ the Lakes of the clouds hut before ascending to the summit. You can see the summit from there and it does look closer than it is. If I remember it is about 1.4 miles from the hut (I could be wrong on the milage).But once you get to the summit it is all down hill from there Literrally.

Going done the Jewell I found to be Awesome. The views into the Great gulf are nothing more than spectacular. You do a little bit of rock hopping from the summit to the Cog tracks and then there is a nice open trail to follow where you can get a nice view and pictures of the Cog on the way. After a bit you will be doing a little bit of rock hopping again and trail almost down to tree line. But once your in the trees the trail was great and easy to follow. So far this is one of my favorite hikes to the summit of M/W. I hope this helps you with some of your questions. Feel free to post on here any questions you should have and I am sure there a plenty of others here that can help. Here is a link to a few pics. I took a couple years ago on that loop.
http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb96/CRIVERHD12/SEEK%20THE%20PEEK%2008/?albumview=slideshow

marla_lee
06-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Chris, your photos are outstanding! Thanks so much everyone for your responses.

Snow Miser
06-13-2010, 01:18 PM
Hi Marla,

I also have to say welcome to the forums. There's always a lot of great advice on here from very experience hikers. Last year during STP09, we took the Ammo up and it was a great trail. Just as Chris said though, after the Gem Pool it did get really steep, but the rocks were just like steps for the most part. When you got closer to the Lakes Hut, the rocks can be slippery if wet. We passed a group heading down the mountain in that area and they were having trouble keeping their footing. So if it's wet or rainy, I would definitely say only take the Ammo up. I cannot speak for the Jewell Trail as I have never hiked it, though we will be taking that up this year for STP10.

Hope you have a really good hike and enjoy the mountain.

marla_lee
06-14-2010, 09:05 AM
Thanks! I do have a couple more questions - what is the best place to park for the Ammonoosuc/Jewell trails? Are the trails clearly marked?

JimS
06-14-2010, 09:14 AM
Park at the cog base...they charge a small fee, but it saves a mile or so...

The NFS trailhead is about half a mile before the cog base on the base road, on the right. Smaller fee there as well..

Brad
06-14-2010, 09:30 AM
As you drive into the Cog base station area on the right is a hikers' parking area. This is after the sign for the AMC hikers' lot Jim mentioned. If you are there at a reasonable time, the Cog has a person collecting money from parkers. The Ammo trail start off the right rear corner of the main building. The Jewell near the bottom has a fork. Right goes to the AMC hikers' lot. Take the left fork to go to the base station and then walk to your car. When you are done and tired having the car in a closer lot is nice.

marla_lee
06-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Thank you both. Everyone here is very helpful.

Brad
06-14-2010, 08:31 PM
Here are pictures of a hike on that route I took with my oldest grandson.

http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet/hikes/2006_hikes/07_mtwashdakota/

rockin rex
06-15-2010, 07:40 AM
Have done this loop many times including a winter ascent up this route. This is an awesome loop but don't let it fool you. The trail above the Gem pool is steep and the going is slow. Having Lakes hut at the top of the trail is very nice and is a great place to take a break and relax. They sometimes have bottomless soup (one price all you can eat) and also will fill water bottles. The hike between Lakes and the top of the rock pile is beautiful but the weather can be wicked. The winds can really whip up on this side of the mountain. From the summit to Jewel trail is amazing but BE PREPARED. This ridge is exposed and in bad weather can be down right dangerous. Make sure you are prepared for bad weather just in case. Before heading down the Jewel you might want to tag Clay. The views from Clay are very nice and worth the short climb. Jewel Trail back down to parking lot and where your car is located is just beautiful. I really like the Jewel trail and is a great way to finish the loop. One thing with this loop is most people miss the best part of the hike. Just above the Gem pool take the side trail to the right and it will lead you to two incredible waterfalls above the Gem pool. These waterfalls should not be missed. Enjoy and take lots of pictures. This loop is one of the best out there!!!!!!!

thesubwaypusher
06-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Marla, a couple of things I forgot to mention. The top of the Jewell trail can be treacherous as far as stepping over assorted rocks that stick up in every direction. Make certain you have a hiking stick with you as it can save you from serious injury, should you lose you balance. If the rocks are wet, they are even more dangerous, as sometimes you will have to step on just a point protruding upward.

Chris

Brad
06-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Marla, a couple of things I forgot to mention. The top of the Jewell trail can be treacherous as far as stepping over assorted rocks that stick up in every direction. Make certain you have a hiking stick with you as it can save you from serious injury, should you lose you balance. If the rocks are wet, they are even more dangerous, as sometimes you will have to step on just a point protruding upward.

Chris
Chris, these words hold true for just about any trail up there. Plus, many of the rocks will move when you step on them.

thesubwaypusher
06-16-2010, 02:47 PM
Chris, these words hold true for just about any trail up there. Plus, many of the rocks will move when you step on them.

Brad- I've never done any of the others, so it's good to know they all share that characteristic!

Brad
06-16-2010, 03:39 PM
Brad- I've never done any of the others, so it's good to know they all share that characteristic!
Check out the pictures from different folks and look at the trails and rocks. You might get some idea of footing conditions. You want boots with solid soles and good ankle support.

Some of my Mt Washington hike pictures are at http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet/hikes/mt-washington/

marla_lee
06-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Thanks again to everyone for the great advice and the beautiful photos! I'm totally excited now! :)