PDA

View Full Version : Huntington Conditions

chocodove
06-18-2010, 10:19 AM
Greetings all, first post but a very long-time lurker. Wealth of information here and some amazing photography.

The time has finally come and I will be making my first trip to Mt. Washington next week. The plan was for Tuckerman's to Huntington and then down Lion's Head. I was curious if anyone knew the current conditions on Huntington? I fear it may be a little too early in the season from what I have been reading from past years. I've checked all the usual forums and couldn't find anything within the past two weeks. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I am well aware of the difficulty of this trail, and both myself and my partner are experienced and comfortable with exposure.

PS - are the black flies still around?

Many thanks in advance.

KD Talbot
06-19-2010, 09:32 AM
Pretty much all the snow and ice are gone, though there may still be some wide patches. Might not be a bad idea to have traction, at least in the form of microspikes, just in case.

As for the blackflies, I can't speak for the ravines as I haven't been, but they are God awful everywhere else. The ravines are usually a little behind the southern mountains I've been on recently, so you may dodge a bullet, but my guess is they will be miserable. It's June.

KDT

1HappyHiker
06-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Welcome to the Forum!

I pretty much agree with everything Kevin said. However, regarding the biting insects (black flies, etc), I think it pretty much depends on a combination of factors (such as location, plus other aspects such as the wind, etc). For example, just a few days ago I was hiking the Northern Presidential Range (Great Gulf Trail, Madison Gulf Trail, Daniel Webster Scout Trail) and was not bothered in the least by bugs for the entire trek. There was a fairly constant breeze throughout the day, and so that might have been the determining factor, but who knows?

chocodove
06-21-2010, 08:18 AM
Many thanks for the replies. I guess we'll see how it goes and hope for the best! About to leave for NH and tomorrow's forecast is promising, so it looks like that will be the day.

chocodove
06-28-2010, 12:13 AM
We made it up via Huntington this past Tuesday. Gorgeous day, little to no wind whatsoever and clear skies. I thought for sure we would have to give up the Huntington plan because of weather conditions, but we lucked out.

Huntington is a great trail. I found the slab to be slightly less sketchy than the ledges that followed. Those are no joke with the exposure! We had some trouble following some of the blazes on one or two occasions. Took a lot longer than I thought it would, but well worth it. We took Lion Head on the way down. All in all a great day and a wonderful trip to Mount Washington. Now I am looking forward to a winter trip sometime in the future.