PDA

View Full Version : Vacationers Hiking...

hague8
06-21-2010, 03:22 PM
I went out on Tongue Mt at Lake George for a hike to Deers Leap. Nice hike about 1.6 miles alot of short up and down then down to the "Leap". But its a trail, rough in spots , lots of roots and rocks , interesects other trails and spurs and it was hot out. I passed a group of 4 adults and 4 children. 1 adult and child about 15 minutes ahead of 1 adult and 1 child, one teenager, 5 minutes ahead of 1 adult, 5 minutes ahead of 1 adult and one child. When I reached the last of the "group" in all I counted no packs, about 2 sturdy pairs of shoes, 4 water bottles. The last woman and small child stepped way off the trail although my dog was on a short hold. I mentioned to the woman that it is wise to know where you step as there are Eastern Timber Rattlers on this Mt. Although shy they do not like to be stepped on. I think that finished her hike as the child started wailing. I need to be more diplomatic. I would like to see people prepared so these youngsters won't be put off the woods altogether. It just cracks me up they think they are still in town.

Brad
06-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Sometimes being diplomatic is not the right answer. If that woman decided to stop and turn around, it sounds like the others in the "group" would not know it since they were spread out so much.

JimS
06-22-2010, 06:21 AM
First off, that is a great hike...I love that whole range, and the view from deer leap is wonderful. And...the threat of rattlers is real there!

Family hikes often annoy me. Not because I don't think it's great that they bring their family out into the woods to enjoy nature...but because it's usually a forced deathmarch experience as part of their regimented vacation. I would much prefer they start small, and go more often, so that as you said...they can build up an appreciation for, and tolerance of both nature, and at times, outdoor physical activity. We need all the nature fans we can, and it sounds like the scenario you saw wasn't adding to the eco ranks...