PDA

View Full Version : STP trails

CHRIS
06-22-2010, 07:16 AM
I was thinking that it might be a good idea to find out which trails everybody is thinking on taking and what start times for the Seek The Peak. That way if anybody will be hiking alone they might be able to hook up with someone.
I am still trying to choose between Lions Head or the Jewell. It all depends on weather my wife will be coming with me or not. If I take Lions head I was thinking of a 3am start again but if I/we take the Jewell then it might be around 5am.

Snow Miser
06-22-2010, 07:48 AM
Great idea for a thread Chris! We haven't nailed down a specific route yet, but are thinking of taking the Jewell up and Tucks or Lion Head down. Our start time will most likely be 6am.

Charlie
06-22-2010, 10:24 AM
i think i will do the Auto road up and down :eek:

we will be doing Lions head with Brad and Ed the time to start will be up to Brad ,and if you hike up with me there are plenty of stops to take pictures .you get to do that when you have to stop so i can catch up :D:D

JimS
06-22-2010, 10:28 AM
After seeing the huge avalanche on the ammy this year...I'm thinking about up that...and catching a ride down somehow. Time tbd...

CHRIS
06-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Charlie,We were consideing doing the Lions Head with you and Brad and Ed. My wife says she will only start in the dark if we go with you guys :rolleyes:. Then we could hide in your your truck on the way down :D. If we go that route we could bring you from the motel and meet up with Brad and Ed so he wouldn't have to go all the way there to pick you up.

Charlie
06-22-2010, 04:25 PM
nancy was going to bring me there but if your going she could sleep in
Brad is bringing his suburban to the kick of party fri night and he will take our car home that night and we take the truck ,then nancy will drive that to the top to pick us up .

CHRIS
06-22-2010, 08:34 PM
That would be cool. I would even kick some money for the truck. I am sure Nancy would rather sleep in. When it gets closer we will have to get discuss everything. Can't wait for STP its going to be great.

David
06-24-2010, 07:46 PM
I am thinking of hiking up the Lions Head Trail and back via the Tuckerman Ravine trail. My reasoning being to get to and back from summit in good time for the after hike AYCE buffet! If anyone of you has done the Lions head trail up Washington could you tell me what it is like? any harder (or easier) than other trails up the mtn?

David

Brad
06-24-2010, 08:33 PM
This is the combination we have done for STP in the past and I have done many other times. Lions Head up is a trail less traveled - but gives wonderful views pretty quickly. The trail from Pinkham to the Lions Head trailhead is a steady up hike. It is a wide path with rocks to step around as you go. Lions Head trail goes up pretty fast right off with a ladder at one section and gets you above treeline quickly. From there you continue up on rocks with a bit of scrambling when you get close to Lions Head summit. From there the view into Tuckerman Ravine is great. Gentle slope up as you cross the Alpine Garden and then the cone of Mt Washington is a killer as it is rocks piled on rocks and it only goes up.

I have taken first time hikers on this trail combination if they are in good shape as there is a lot of leg-lifting and aerobic work. The Ammo-Jewell loop is a lot easier, though longer.

The big negative with this route is you can not see the weather coming in from the west.

Brad&Val
06-26-2010, 09:39 PM
I will be hiking with first timers this year so I have to consider logistics rather than just running up and grabbing a cookie in the Obs. I am thinking we'll go up the Ammo so they can stop at Lakes and then make the final push to the summit.

If the weather is nice we can take in the views and go down the Jewell. My goal is to be up and down with my group safely and not be late for dinner :)

Bill O
06-27-2010, 05:49 AM
After seeing the huge avalanche on the ammy this year...I'm thinking about up that...and catching a ride down somehow. Time tbd...

Wait, what? Details please.

JimS
06-27-2010, 09:01 AM
Wait, what? Details please.

http://whitemountainsojourn.blogspot.com/2010/05/avalanche-track-in-ammonoosuc-ravine-5.html

This guy has visited the track a few times...scroll through his blog and you'll see the others.

There were lots of posts about this on the ski forums this year...but I didn't believe how big it was until I saw this post...

Bill O
06-27-2010, 02:03 PM
http://whitemountainsojourn.blogspot.com/2010/05/avalanche-track-in-ammonoosuc-ravine-5.html

This guy has visited the track a few times...scroll through his blog and you'll see the others.

There were lots of posts about this on the ski forums this year...but I didn't believe how big it was until I saw this post...

Thanks, can't wait to check it out. That will create some interesting ski opportunities on the west side of the mountain for years to come. On top of that it might take decades to recover (if ever) since once the path is laid it will tend to keep sliding.

Freebird
06-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the post Chris; this is my first trip to seek the peak and first hike in the White Mountains. I will be solo on this trip and have been eyeing Lions Head. What is the reason for leaving so early at 3 AM? It that to get some good sunrise views or to beat the crowd...am I seriously underestimating the rigor/length of the hike?

I appreciate your input...looking forward to the trip!

-Rob (freebird)

Charlie
06-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the post Chris; this is my first trip to seek the peak and first hike in the White Mountains. I will be solo on this trip and have been eyeing Lions Head. What is the reason for leaving so early at 3 AM? It that to get some good sunrise views or to beat the crowd...am I seriously underestimating the rigor/length of the hike?

I appreciate your input...looking forward to the trip!

-Rob (freebird)

it is to get up above the tree line for some good morning pictures ,we did go that early so we did not have to rush back down to make it for the dinner and also there is a very slow person hiking with this group :eek:
that would be me :D i do it to give the others a long time to take pictures ;);) thats what they think dont tell them :):) i have a hard time with breathing and need to take it slow

Charlie
06-29-2010, 06:51 PM
im not sure if we at hitting the trail that early or not but you can tell its us we are the slow group LOL no some of us will have STP flags that only forum people have from last year

Snow Miser
06-29-2010, 07:15 PM
Charlie, thanks for reminding us to wear our orange STP flags from last year.

Freebird
06-29-2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks Charlie! I like the idea of getting some good pictures early; provided the kick off party dosent go too long into the night ;-)

CHRIS
06-30-2010, 06:59 AM
What Charlie said. I left @ 3am last year so to get some pics and be back down to make it to the party. I also have my flags from last year that I will have on. Thanks Diane for making them for us.

Snow Miser
06-30-2010, 07:41 AM
Thanks Diane for making them for us.

I second that. Thanks Diane for the great flags! Mine has been hanging on my wall all year.

rockin rex
06-30-2010, 07:53 AM
Think Madison and I will be doing Boot Spur this year. Not sure if we will take it from the bottom or catch it from Ho Jo's. Want to scout out the Gulf of Slides for when I attempt to climb it in August. As is always the case it will be down Tucks hopefully like last time with a bunch of Seek the Peakers. Blue dog you up for Boot again??

BlueDog
06-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Oh man. I didn't actually enjoy Boot Spur all that much. You two set on that, or have a second choice? Graham and I haven't made up our minds yet. Thought about doing something on the west side. Also need to see if its possible to converge on the summit with my kilted brethren for a group pic.

CHRIS
06-30-2010, 10:35 AM
My wife and I will be most likely going up with Charlie,Brad and Ed which ever route they take so we should be on the summit for the Kilted brethren pics. That would be cool.

Brad
06-30-2010, 12:53 PM
My wife and I will be most likely going up with Charlie,Brad and Ed which ever route they take so we should be on the summit for the Kilted brethren pics. That would be cool.
I will have my camera

Charlie
06-30-2010, 01:27 PM

i can pack a Kilt just for the picture :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

CHRIS
06-30-2010, 01:31 PM
No way Charlie. You have to wear it hiking.:p:p

Rich
06-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Ammy up, Jewel down with my 11 year old again. Oh...and it's ME walking away with the Suby this year!!

CHRIS
06-30-2010, 09:04 PM
HAHAHA I think we all are walking away with the Suby this year. All I have to say is good luck to everybody...

Snow Miser
07-01-2010, 07:38 AM
I second that. Good luck to everyone!:)

BlueDog
07-01-2010, 08:50 AM

Guess we just need to find out what Kevin's plan is.

CHRIS
07-01-2010, 09:32 AM
There is also David Brown.I believe he will be in his kilt also.

BlueDog
07-01-2010, 09:03 PM
you are correct sir... apologies to moab

Brad
07-02-2010, 12:37 PM
We do need a group kilt-ish picture at the summit sign. I will be photographer.

CHRIS
07-02-2010, 12:47 PM
I am in. :D:D

reeva
07-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Any advice appreciated...don't know trails, don't know hiking that well...but know Subaru--coming for the party and get together.

Charlie
07-02-2010, 09:54 PM
sorry i just cant see myself with one on :eek:

BlueDog
07-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Thanks ok Charlie... you can leave the kilts to the MEN. :P

<ducks and runs for cover>

BAXTERCA2
07-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Hi All -
I've bit my tongue for weeks on this Kilt thing. Although I'm a bit out there here's a female's two cents.
I can't wait to see you men in Kilts. Perhaps the picture could be used next year to gather more Hiker's to join in on STP 11 and wear their Kilts too.

Imagine it "Hikers in Kilts 2011"...Sorry Charlie,bring on the Kilts.

CHRIS
07-04-2010, 10:12 AM
I like it "Hikers in Kilts 2011" I will be there for sure.

BlueDog
07-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Looks like we have a founding member of the "Kilted Hikers Fan Club!" :)

Thanks Karen!

BAXTERCA2
07-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Looks like we have a founding member of the "Kilted Hikers Fan Club!" :)

Thanks Karen!

That's right BlueDog, I'm the founding member (fan) of all you Kilt wearing Men. Come on Charlie you can do it. Can't wait to meet everyone at STP. Nope I'm not hiking, volunteering and camping. What a weekend it will be.

"BRING ON THE KILTED HIKERS"

nhsportsman
07-12-2010, 10:37 AM
I will be going up lion's head and down tuckermans leaving pinkham notch at 7am, I will be going up alone now because everyone bailed on me. I did Franconia notch traverse on 7/3 took 6 hours flat, r there any other loners out there?

debredkaren
07-12-2010, 11:32 AM
This is the combination we have done for STP in the past and I have done many other times. Lions Head up is a trail less traveled - but gives wonderful views pretty quickly. The trail from Pinkham to the Lions Head trailhead is a steady up hike. It is a wide path with rocks to step around as you go. Lions Head trail goes up pretty fast right off with a ladder at one section and gets you above treeline quickly. From there you continue up on rocks with a bit of scrambling when you get close to Lions Head summit. From there the view into Tuckerman Ravine is great. Gentle slope up as you cross the Alpine Garden and then the cone of Mt Washington is a killer as it is rocks piled on rocks and it only goes up.

I have taken first time hikers on this trail combination if they are in good shape as there is a lot of leg-lifting and aerobic work. The Ammo-Jewell loop is a lot easier, though longer.

The big negative with this route is you can not see the weather coming in from the west.

Hmmm we were going to go up Lionshead and Down Tucks but adding the Alpine Garden is tempting. How much time does it add to the trip and has anyone been up there lately to know if all the pretty flowers are blooming or has this heat gotten to them too????

nhsportsman
07-12-2010, 06:12 PM
I will be going up Lion's head and down tucks leaving pinkham at 7am. everyone in my group bailed so i'm alone for this. I hiked Franconia ridge traverse on 7/3 and did it in 6hrs flat. anyone else going up alone? steve in Derry

Charlie
07-12-2010, 08:30 PM
I will be going up Lion's head and down tucks leaving pinkham at 7am. everyone in my group bailed so i'm alone for this. I hiked Franconia ridge traverse on 7/3 and did it in 6hrs flat. anyone else going up alone? steve in Derry
im sure by leaving at 7 you will have a lot of people up hike up with ,we are leaving at 3:30 so we can be above the tree line for sunrise

Snow Miser
07-13-2010, 07:37 AM
im sure by leaving at 7 you will have a lot of people up hike up with ,we are leaving at 3:30 so we can be above the tree line for sunrise

I hope it's clear so you guys can get some good photos to post.

Freebird
07-13-2010, 08:09 AM

Steve - I m making the trip alone as well. Currently I plan on taking the same route up as you however I thought of leaving a little earlier to get a head start on most. ~6 am maybe. Maybe we can be in touch and see what other input the post garners as we get closer, -Rob

faegilr
07-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Is Lion's Head hard going up? We usually go up and down Tucks, but I'm open to suggestions. Last year we went down Lion's Head and I didn't like it that much. Going up steep stuff is much easier for me.

I just hit my minimum yesterday...fundraising is hard this year :(

I hope to start around 6/6:30, but who knows what will happen! :)

Charlie
07-13-2010, 08:21 PM
if i can make it up Lions head it is not to hard lol

mtruman
07-13-2010, 09:59 PM
We've gone up Lion Head the last two years for STP (and down Tucks). I didn't think that Lion Head was too difficult going up. A few steep spots that I'd much rather be going up than down. We really like that route (although we may try something different this year depending on the plans of our companions).

BanjoChris
07-14-2010, 08:53 AM
I'm hiking alone this year and was thinking of Nelson Crag up and either Tuckermans or Lions Head down...anyone have any thoughts. Did Tuck up and Boot Spur down last year...very wet and slippery...totally fried when I got down...thankfully the Turkey pepped me up!!!

Snow Miser
07-15-2010, 07:34 AM
I hiked down the Nelson Crag a few years ago, and I thought it was fairly hard. I think just because it didn't seem well maintained, especially down below tree line. Going up may be a better though. One nice thing is that we didn't see another hiker along the whole trail. That might be a nice thing for STP so you can make better time.

BanjoChris
07-15-2010, 09:26 AM
Thanks Snow Miser,

I went up Tuck last year and came down boot spur, after I dropped below treeline it became a challenge to keep my feet under me on the slippery rocks and the unfamiliar terrain. A 5 plus hour odessy!!! This year I thought I would go up a new trail and come down familiar. Whenever I climb Washington I want to see it from a different perspective, as who knows when my last climb will be...I don't want it to be Up Tuck/Down Tuck every year...plus I like a little adventure.

Chris

rockin rex
07-16-2010, 05:49 AM
Madison has decided he wants to take Tucks up to HoJo's but doesn't want to go thru and climb the ravine with so many people. We will head up the boot spur connection from HoJo's and then take boot back over to Tucks to climb the rock pile. As we always do it will be Tucks all the way down. We are also looking to tie in Clay and possibly Monroe so we can add them to our mini traverse. We are staying at Madison Hut Sun. night so we will be doing Madison (yes he is named after mount Madison) Adams and Jefferson during that time. Looks like alot of people are coming from the Westside this year. Whatever trail you choose enjoy.

CHRIS
07-19-2010, 08:12 AM
Our route has changed. My wife and I went up and did a warm up on M/W and took Tucks/Lions Hd/Tucks to the summit and she REALLY did not like that route. Albuit it was her first hike up M/W and her first hike ever. She did awesome but it kicked her butt. So we have decided to take the Jewell up for STP. and hopefully take the Cog back down. See everybody on the top next weekend.

BanjoChris
07-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Wow Chris,

Mount Washington on back to back weekends...and your wife is willing to do it again...

I've heard nice things about Jewel...good luck and we'll see you at the top!!!

Chris

Snow Miser
07-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Our route has changed. My wife and I went up and did a warm up on M/W and took Tucks/Lions Hd/Tucks to the summit and she REALLY did not like that route. Albuit it was her first hike up M/W and her first hike ever. She did awesome but it kicked her butt. So we have decided to take the Jewell up for STP. and hopefully take the Cog back down. See everybody on the top next weekend.

Chris, my brother and I are taking the Jewell up, starting at 6am. Maybe we will see the two of you on the trail, unless you are leaving much earlier. If this was your wife's first hike ever, all I can say is Wow! Kudos to her!:)

CHRIS
07-19-2010, 01:06 PM
We will be dropping Charlie of @ 3:30 @ Pinkham Notch Vis. ctr. and then driving around to the Jewell trail head. So we should be there around 4:30ish. If you see a black Dodge Ram 3500 in the parking lot. Then we are on the trail. Just look for a very handsome fat guy wearing a kilt. That will be someone else ;). I am sure we will run into each other some where on there. Have a safe drive North and if not on the trail we will see you on the summit.

Snow Miser
07-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Thanks Chris. I forgot about the kilt. That will be a dead giveaway. We will have our orange flags on that Diane made last year. See you on the trail, or up top. Hike safely!

BlueDog
07-19-2010, 01:29 PM
Guess I need to make another flag that says "I'm not Chris!"

HA!

CHRIS
07-19-2010, 01:50 PM
Yes we will have our flags on the pack to. To funny Erich....

BanjoChris
07-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Does Diane still have flags available?

Snow Miser
07-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Does Diane still have flags available?

I think she took orders and made just enough? Here's the thread (http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?3964-stp-09-flags&highlight=mscntry) that we used to order them. You can try to PM her. Maybe she will make one if you ask?

Rich
07-21-2010, 05:23 PM
we'll have our flags on our packs too. Ammy up Jewell down. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Brad
07-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Some of us who have done Lions Head up and Tuckermans down are switching to the west side this year. The logistics are a lot harder with the dinner being on the east side - but we will try to make it work. We will be doing Jewell up.

MOAB149
07-21-2010, 10:42 PM
This is one I've always wanted to do. Can't be any less painful than the Lion Head last September. We plan to jump off at 0430 hours.

MOAB149
07-21-2010, 10:47 PM
There is also David Brown.I believe he will be in his kilt also.

YES I WILL. BSA Green with a Blood Red long sleeve shirt. Can't me miss.

MOAB149
07-21-2010, 10:50 PM
Hi All -
I've bit my tongue for weeks on this Kilt thing. Although I'm a bit out there here's a female's two cents.
I can't wait to see you men in Kilts. Perhaps the picture could be used next year to gather more Hiker's to join in on STP 11 and wear their Kilts too.

Imagine it "Hikers in Kilts 2011"...Sorry Charlie,bring on the Kilts.

There's no hiking like hiking in a Kilt! Just don't ask me what's worn under the Kilt, right Chris?

CHRIS
07-22-2010, 06:55 AM
Nothings worn :D Everything is in proper working order;)
Not this time Dave..

BanjoChris
07-22-2010, 07:08 AM
MOAB,

I came down Boot Spur last year...very challenging in wet conditions...going up should be better. Great views into Tuckermans and across to Lion's Head...plus the lunar landscape.

Good Luck!!!

Chris

BAXTERCA2
07-22-2010, 07:25 AM
When I told my boss about "Hiker's in Kilts" he said "do"....I stopped him right there cause we are very similar people and I said.

I just met these people via the forum so, I'm still working on my comfort levels with them but, on Saturday I will ask. "Boxers or briefs" it was too scary for both of us to think "Nothing" :eek:

Thanks for clarify this questions for all of us. Hoping to meet as many of you as I can this weekend. I'll be the one at the After-Party holding the sign "Hikers in Kilts 2011" :cool:

BlueDog
07-22-2010, 07:30 AM
Karen.. you can avoid the awkward question just by following us up the ladder to the top of the tower. ;)

BAXTERCA2
07-22-2010, 07:36 AM
Nice comeback
I don't find the question awkward at all. I was new to the forum and nobody knows me so, I wanted to take it easy on you guys. Forget it now, I'm just going to be myself.

PS: I'm not a follower ;)

BAXTERCA2
07-22-2010, 07:38 AM
Can someone teach me how to read a map this weekend so, I can go hiking someday soon too. I've never been hiking cause I'm a bit scared I'd be the one who gets lost in the Whites.

Brad
07-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Can someone teach me how to read a map this weekend so, I can go hiking someday soon too. I've never been hiking cause I'm a bit scared I'd be the one who gets lost in the Whites.
Hike on Saturday this weekend and there is no chance of being out there alone.

CHRIS
07-22-2010, 11:36 AM
It is not as hard as you think Karen. If we have the time this weekend I can try to help you. You should start off with small hikes to get used to the markings and such and then gradually move on to longer hikes as you get used to the maps and markings.

Snow Miser
07-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Chris, Brad & Charlie. Are you guys still starting at 4:30am?

CHRIS
07-22-2010, 02:04 PM
Myself my wife and Charlie are picking up Brad @ PNVC @ 3:30 and heading around to the Jewell. So around 4:15-4:30ish. What time are you starting?

Snow Miser
07-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Myself my wife and Charlie are picking up Brad @ PNVC @ 3:30 and heading around to the Jewell. So around 4:15-4:30ish. What time are you starting?

We may try for 4:30, especially if there may be storms in the afternoon. If we are a little later, we are going to try an catch up.

CHRIS
07-22-2010, 02:14 PM
You should be able to catch up because we will not be hiking fast.. We will have our flags on.

Snow Miser
07-22-2010, 05:56 PM
Thanks Chris. My brother and I will have our flags on too. See you on the Jewell.

Brad
07-22-2010, 09:28 PM
Thanks Chris. My brother and I will have our flags on too. See you on the Jewell.
It will be a gem of a day.