PDA

View Full Version : Easy to moderate hikes in Kangamangus or White Mtns.

kappygirl
06-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Hello! I'm a 45 year old woman in fairly decent shape- not an experienced hiker, but enjoy it. My husband and I have done Arethusa Falls, Black Cap Mtn., and Champney Falls. Looking for hikes of 2-3 hr. duration in Kangamangus/White Mtn. area. A friend suggested Doublehead Mtn. in Jackson. Also have heard about Greeley Pond and Boulder Loop Trail. Any info/advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks. :)

d.b.cooperisalive
06-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Mt Williard has incredible views of Crawford Notch. Took my wife and I, one hour up and 40 min down. There had to be around 30 people up there that day having lunch. Pick a nice day. We just did Franconi Ridge. This was our 4th hike ever. I am 55 years old and not in shape ( I had open heart surgery last Oct). It took us 10 hours to complete. It was very difficult for us but we did it. The views are incredible. We went up Little Haystack and down Lafayette. There had to be 100 hikers doing that trail.

Addicted
06-22-2010, 05:31 PM
If you hike out behind the Basin, the trail goes out along the river, which you cross a couple times, and there are a couple of water falls along the way. Not a strenuous hike, lots of roots. If you're ambitious, you can take it all the way out to Lonesome Lake. OR, you can hike up to Lonesome lake from the Lafayette campground. That's only a mile or so in. I agree that Willard is a great view and an easy hike. If you like Arethusa, the hike over to Frankenstein cliffs from there is pretty easy. It's pretty steep coming back down however.

Anna LeBlanc
06-23-2010, 04:48 PM
The hike out to the Greeley Ponds from the Kanc Trailhead is a wonderful hike.Not strenuous at all with beautiful views when you get to the ponds.The water is so clean you can see the fish swimming by your feet.Be sure to bring your camera to get pictures of the butterflies and bluebirds.

It's a great spot for a picnic lunch too,just be sure to bring your bug spray!!!

Anna

KD Talbot
06-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Already suggested is Lonesome Lake, out of Franconia Notch. Great views minimal effort. At the top of the notch is Bald Mountain/Artist's Bluff.

Along the Kancamagus Greeley Ponds is good, but there is Lincoln Woods, an old, flat railroad bed along the Pemi which leads to Franconia Falls. At the other end of the Kanc I would suggest Hedgehog and/or Potash Mountains. In Crawford Notch I agree with Willard, but also consider Avalon, but for me the best views are had from the Sugarloafs on Zealand Road.

As I've said multiple times before, the best way to be safe, find your way around and enjoy the mountains is to pick up a copy of the White Mountain Guide. Folks shouldn't rely on info gathered from the internet, it's not always correct. Memories fail and some things can be lost in translation.

It is the White Mountain hiker's Bible.

You can read the trail descriptions to find a hike, or do what most do and look at the maps, pick a trail and then read the description. The answer to your questions are in this book as well. For the small price, the lifetime of knowledge in this book is invaluable.

If you buy it here (http://www.mountwashington.org/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=44_6&products_id=28)it helps the Obs.

Have fun, be safe and enjoy!

KDT

KSearl
07-06-2010, 02:11 PM
The Welch-Dickey Loop is also a great, easier hike out there. It is a few exits south of the Kanc off from 93 in the Waterville Valley region. It is a little crowded, but easy to moderate terrain, great views and two peaks! One of my favorites.

smithtim
07-06-2010, 05:20 PM
mt. liberty is easy hike (with direct access from I-93 which is good if your driving up from south) that will get you into the alpine environment above treeline without to much pain if that is of interest... I prefer it in witner though as that is when treeline is best!

I say easy but probably should say "steady" as it is about 3ish miles to the summit, but nothing steep just a long steady incline

Tons of other hikes nearby in that area & as TD say the guide is a very good think to pick up & of course I always like to take my nat geo trail illustrated map ( or usgs ) with compass just to be safe

simons mom
07-09-2010, 06:13 AM
I would also recommend Low's Bald Spot, which leaves from Pinkham. On a clear day it has amazing views of the Northern Presidentials, and is a nice hike. Just be careful crossing the Auto Road - most drivers are not expecting hikers to be crossing the road.

rockin rex
07-09-2010, 09:03 AM
Yes Lowes Bald spot is very nice. Have actually set my tent up and camped out there on the ledges a few times. Very easy hike for such an INCREDIBLE view. This is also a nice hike for anyone driving the auto road. Nice pull off to park and a short flat walk in and you're there.

d.b.cooperisalive
07-10-2010, 08:50 AM
A terrific easy trail is the Zealand Falls Trail. I believe it's an old logging railway. For the most part is very flat but the scenery is terrific. The last .1 miles is straight up to the Zealand Hut with terrific views. Take the Zealand Campground turn off of 302 and follow the road to the very end to park. I really enjoyed it.

Brad&Val
07-19-2010, 09:25 PM
If you would like a different perspective of the Presidential range, Owls Head & Mt Martha are very enjoyable hikes. While there is some elevation gain, the trail is well maintained, the grade fairly easy, and it is only a couple of miles from the trail head to the summit. The trail is accessed off of Rt 115 just a mile or so off of Route 3 going north from Twin Mountain.

When time is short, but I want to get up high, this is one of my favorite short hikes.