PDA

View Full Version : Seek the Peak!

KD Talbot
06-24-2010, 12:07 PM
http://www.ghostflowers.com/forumshots/29amoosilauke111909.jpg
Wow! I can't believe it's been a year already! As you know, Emma leads us on our annual expedition to the summit of Mount Washington to help raise funds for the Mount Washington Observatory. This will be the Observatory's 10th annual Seek the Peak hikeathon fundraiser. It has been our pleasure to be on these hikes for the past 9 years. Each year it is amazing to see the growth in the event from our first year when a handful of hikers raised a paltry sum and hiked in a soaking rain. Each year the interest has grown and so has the event. Literally hundreds now join in and help out the Obs, and deservedly so.

This great organization keeps us abreast of the weather in the mountains with up to the minute info and we all know how critical this is when hiking in the Whites.

Emma is more than happy to help them out so she is asking you to visit her fundraising page and make a small donation if you can. She hopes to see you there on the 24th to thank you in person! As this event has grown, so has the venue. This year the event kicks off Friday night with a performance by Assembly of Dust with special guests The Brew at the Cranmore Mountain Resort. There is also the fabulous post-hike cookout on Saturday at the base of the Auto Road and they give away lots of great prizes! If you can't join this event yourself then please visit her pledge page:

http://www.seekthepeak.org/view.php?p=EmmaTalbot

Or you can mail a check or money order made out to Mount Washington Observatory to:

Emma Talbot c/o Judy Talbot
11 Maple St.
Kingston, NH 03848

We are camping at Moosebrook the 23rd through 25th. We get the shelter which is away from the rest of the CG so makes for a good party spot. If you are in the area on the 24th things should be happening around 7-8 PM after the hike and post-hike meal. Would love for you and friends to drop in!

This map shows where the shelter is:

http://www.nhstateparks.org/library/...brookMap06.pdf

We do have some room for a few tents. Please let us know if you're interested in joining us! Please forward this to anyone you think might be interested! Would love to have you join us!

http://www.seekthepeak.org/

KDT

mtruman
06-25-2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the post hike party invite Kevin. Wouldn't miss it for the world! Can't wait to see everyone in a few weeks. Good luck to Emma with the rest of her fundraising.

Snow Miser
06-25-2010, 04:36 PM
Good luck to Emma raising money for the OBS.:) Thanks for the invite after the hike and awards dinner. Hope to make it too!

BlueDog
06-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Woohoo! Looking forward to it!

Graham and I still plan on taking some of that tent space, so we'll have VIP access to the party. :)

BAXTERCA2
06-29-2010, 01:56 PM
Hi Kevin -
I sent you a PM about Moosebrook, let me know what you think when you have a chance.

Thanks in advance
Karen

David
06-29-2010, 07:21 PM
Hi Kevin,

Your invite is enticing. However, I already have reservations to stay at Pinkham before and after the hike. The after hike ayce buffet will certainly fill me up. It would be fun to meet you seek the peak regulars.

I'd love to join you, your wife, and Mark and others at the post hike meal ..thing is we'd never find each other.

have fun,

David

Charlie
06-29-2010, 08:34 PM
Kevin will be the one with the cute dog and i will be the one that wins the new car

KD Talbot
06-29-2010, 08:55 PM
I see the map link to the shelter has been changed. It can be found here (http://newhampshirestateparks.reserveamerica.com/camping/map_of_Moose_Brook_State_Park/r/campgroundMap.do?page=map&search=site&contractCode=NH&parkId=270053&topTabIndex=CampingSpot):

KDT

mtruman
06-30-2010, 12:16 AM
No problem finding us at the dinner David - we'll be at the forum table. I'll be the one NOT wearing a kilt! :)

CHRIS
06-30-2010, 06:56 AM
Wow Charlie your lucky. Do you have some inside information ;)?? LOL..
I will be @ the forum table and I will be one of the people wearing a kilt :D

Charlie
06-30-2010, 07:27 AM
I wear no Kilt , I wear no Kilt , I wear nooooo oooo Kiiiiilt :D

CHRIS
06-30-2010, 07:36 AM
You don't know what your missing.

Snow Miser
06-30-2010, 07:36 AM
No kilt for me either. I will be wearing good old shorts.:D

David
06-30-2010, 08:05 AM
No problem finding us at the dinner David - we'll be at the forum table. I'll be the one NOT wearing a kilt! :)

How would I know which table is the forum table?

Brad
06-30-2010, 08:23 AM
If they let me park the MWO Subie there, it will be easy to spot.

CHRIS
06-30-2010, 08:59 AM
Last year Diane had made a flag that she put on the table. If not look for the very handsome guy with a long gotee wearing a kilt. That will be me :D

BlueDog
06-30-2010, 10:24 AM
If they let me park the MWO Subie there, it will be easy to spot.

We'll be the ones eating IN the Subie!

BlueDog
06-30-2010, 10:26 AM

Just look for the men among men, those wearing the kilt, and you'll know you're at the right table.

Brad
06-30-2010, 12:57 PM
Charlie, we need to figure out the sequence of attack so Nancy has the Suburban for the ride down - and I take the MWO Subie to the hike on Saturday morning so we have it at the dinner to show off a well used cool car. Nancy can return the Suburban in the next few days when you swing by.

Charlie
06-30-2010, 01:25 PM
Charlie, we need to figure out the sequence of attack so Nancy has the Suburban for the ride down - and I take the MWO Subie to the hike on Saturday morning so we have it at the dinner to show off a well used cool car. Nancy can return the Suburban in the next few days when you swing by.

you are taking the suburban to the kick off party fri night and you will be taking our car home that night .then we are coming over on sunday and monday to make Lobster rolls

what time do you think we will be getting to the trail on Saturday so all the others that are coming with us have an idea

CHRIS
06-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Don't forget Charlie I can bring you to the trail so Nancy can sleep in. Is it still going to be Tucks to Lions Head or did we want to try the Jewell?

Brad
06-30-2010, 05:42 PM
Why not say we will hit the trail at Pinkham at 3:30AM? That will still give us plenty of time at the summit.

Car plan
Fri night - I give Nancy the Suburban and take her car

Sat to the trailhead I drive the MWO Subie - so, I will have it for the party.

Sunday when you come to the house you come in the Suburban and leave in Nancy's car.

CHRIS
06-30-2010, 09:03 PM
Sounds like a plan to me. We can leave the Motel around 3AM. and be there easily by 3:30. Can't wait it is getting so close.

Charlie
06-30-2010, 09:20 PM
Sounds like a plan to me. We can leave the Motel around 3AM. and be there easily by 3:30. Can't wait it is getting so close.

it takes 15 min to get there i need my extra 15 mins
3 sounds good with me

Charlie
06-30-2010, 09:21 PM
Why not say we will hit the trail at Pinkham at 3:30AM? That will still give us plenty of time at the summit.

Car plan
Fri night - I give Nancy the Suburban and take her car

Sat to the trailhead I drive the MWO Subie - so, I will have it for the party.

Sunday when you come to the house you come in the Suburban and leave in Nancy's car.

we need to make sure Ed knows

h2oeco
06-30-2010, 09:26 PM
Ed knows...

Freebird
06-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Gentlemen - Seems like there are just a handfull of seek the peakers using this forum; I have gleaned a great deal of info from reading the posts. Im a first timer seek the peak participant and look forward to meeting you guys as I will be making the trip solo. The excitment builds! BTW I got the Mac widget..very nice.

Awesome pictures from past years...wow!

-Rob

https://www.mountwashington.org/site/seekthepeak/view.php?p=Rob

Brad
07-01-2010, 05:41 AM
Rob, there will be plenty of folks on the trails that day. The normal crew and also the STPers. It is legal just to ask anyone you see if they are in STP. If they are, great. If they are not, it is a good chance to introduce them to the Observatory, what they do, and how we all are raising money for such a good cause.