PDA

View Full Version : Parking Question

Smith Boys
06-24-2010, 01:38 PM
I am planning a 4 day presidential traverse next ........... with my wife and 3 boys (we hiked Washington last year and stayed at Lakes--parked at the Pinkham vistors center for a couple days). We are heading up Madison via the Great Gulf Trail and ending at the AMC Highland Center--staying at Madison, Lakes and Mizpah along the way. We will be leaving a car at either end, but I have not been able to find any reliable information about parking at the trailheads. Some questions I have are:

It looks like there is parking at the Great Gulf trailhead, is that correct? Is it safe to leave a truck there for 4 days? Do I need a WMNF parking permit? If I need a permit, does anyone know where can I get one on the morning of the hike (as I can't find a way to get one online)?

I assume that there is parking at the Highland center, but we won't be staying there. Is that a problem? Is there any alternative nearby parking? Also, is it safe to park there for 4 days?

Any help you all could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

KD Talbot
06-24-2010, 06:54 PM
There is parking at Great Gulf. Leaving a car anywhere in the Whites that long is risky. The bastar_s watch the lots for this. Leave nothing of value. The best advice I have heard is leave the doors unlocked and the glove box open. You don't want them bustin' a window for your cell phone and some CDs.

The Highland Center doesn't want you parking there unless you are using the facility. There is a parking lot across Rte. 302 at the beginning of the Mount Clinton Road. You can connect with this parking lot from the Crawford Path and Crawford Connector. Same precautions apply there as well.

KDT

Bill O
06-24-2010, 08:37 PM
Self pay at the lots. Bring exact change.

KD Talbot
06-25-2010, 09:45 AM
Bill is right. You can use the "Iron Ranger" at the parking lot. There are envelopes to put the money in then you drop it in the tube.

I'm pretty sure you can get a pass at Pinkham, if not you can get one at the Saco Ranger Station down Rte.16 from there towards Gorham if you would rather get the pass.

One thing I didn't mention. It's not a real good idea to post your plans on an open forum. The bad guys look for stuff like this. Yes, they're on the internet too.

KDT

Smith Boys
06-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the advice and for deleting the detailed schedule. We have actually changed it a couple of times since the original post as we look at the weather.

Bill O
07-07-2010, 09:16 PM
They actually accept personal checks.