PDA

View Full Version : Auto Road Sunrise Drive

Brad
06-25-2010, 06:23 AM
Three times this summer the Mt Washington Auto Road will be having their Sunrise Drive. Check out http://www.mountwashingtonautoroad.com/page-215.html and maybe we will see you there.

CHRIS
06-25-2010, 06:41 AM
You will definetly see me there :D

Brad
06-25-2010, 05:13 PM
You will definetly see me there :D
You will be riding shotgun. the forecast is looking a little better for Sunday morning. But, no idea what it will be like on the summit.

CHRIS
06-25-2010, 08:49 PM
Well hopefully it will be nice enough to take some pics. But either way it will be nice to be on top again as long as it is safe to do so.

Charlie
06-25-2010, 09:04 PM
its always good to go up and say hi to every one

Great Guinness Ghost
06-25-2010, 09:26 PM
The second date is the day after STP. WOW. We figure we'll eat at the after party, take a power nap and get ready to head back up to the summit.
Two questions for those of you who have done this before:
First: Where do you get the latest forecast for a sunrise trip ? The Glen house Sat. evening, the toll house Sun. morning, or just look up in the sky and hope for the best?
Second: How much earlier do you line up before the toll road opens to avoid delays? The video shows a good amount of cars heading up. Thanks. So looking forward to that weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brad
06-26-2010, 05:12 AM
I plan to use the MWO Higher Summits forecast off the mobile web site.

Brad
06-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Sunrise drive pictures are at http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet/travels/2010/2010-06-27-sunrise-drive

And they are posted on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=62351&id=1066090948&l=5843fbebad

Breeze
06-30-2010, 03:39 PM
"Two questions for those of you who have done this before:
First: Where do you get the latest forecast for a sunrise trip ? The Glen house Sat. evening, the toll house Sun. morning, or just look up in the sky and hope for the best?
Second: How much earlier do you line up before the toll road opens to avoid delays? The video shows a good amount of cars heading up."

1st Q--Just decide to go for it. As Brads photos prove, you can see some pretty danged neat things even if the weather isn't totally CAVU. I mean.. whats the point of having an OBSERVATORY up there if not for everything the WEATHER MIGHT throw at them? ( grinning widely LOL)

2nd Q-- There is no perfect answer ( and that is coming from a MWAR tollhouse attendant).

Last Sunday, roughly 45 cars made the ascent. Tollhouse with 2 attendants can process that volume in about 15 to 20 minutes even if it is bumper to bumper. It LOOKS like a lot of cars, and if you are at the end of the line it can be daunting to see the line ahead of you, but in reality it all comes together pretty quickly. Of course it does help the tollhouse crew if you know your fare in advance and have cash at the ready, but we are all truly invested in getting everyone up expeditiously.

Check the Auto Road website for rates, vehicle limitations, and weight limits to eliminate surprises, disappointments, and delays for others.

http://www.mountwashingtonautoroad.com/Page-22.html

The Auto Road normally sends an advance vehicle (at least one ) up 30 minutes before the Road officially opens. Firstly to ensure there are no issues to impede travel, and secondly to get a heads up on where the best views may be had.

Also realize that the published Toll House opening time for Sunrise Drives has a GENEROUS and AMPLE allowance built in for drivers to make the 30 minute ascent. The Toll House Opening time is scheduled approximately 90 minutes before the first crack of sun-up. Ample, Ample time is built in to the schedule to get folks up and in the best position for viewing.

You can approximate the astronomical sunrise minute for the day of any Sunrise Drive from the daily PDF

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/forecast.php

Breeze

Great Guinness Ghost
06-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Sounds great! Thanks for the info.

Brad
07-01-2010, 05:46 AM
I don't know what time the Auto Road folks got there that morning - but, it was early. The official start was at 3:30AM. But, the gate opened and cars started up just after 3:15AM. The cars moved through the gate quickly as they were processing 2 cars at a time. Driving up the cars were spaced out and it was not tight traffic. When we got to the fog we did catch up to a few cars in front of us - which was nice as that gave us a better idea where the road was.

I am sure people who stopped lower on the road had a good view as we did on the summit.

Great Guinness Ghost
07-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Another question has popped up. Is the Sherman Adams building open at that time of the morning? If for nothing else than to use the bathrooms? Thanks.

Charlie
07-20-2010, 08:31 PM
im sure it is

CHRIS
07-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Yes they do open the buildings. The gift shop is open and the cafeteria. They dont have cooked food but they do have packaged stuff and drinks. Of course the bathrooms are open.Lets hope for a nice sun rise.

Brad
07-21-2010, 05:46 AM
Whether the sunrise is "nice" or not, it is great to be up there then. We were fogged in last month and it was beautiful. The buildings were open and Observatory tours did happen - after the crew woke up and had breakfast. The nice thing was there was no rush. Wait for the sunrise - hang out - relax and wander around with very few people around. It was really nice.

BAXTERCA2
07-21-2010, 06:48 AM
I agree with Brad, no rushing around, less people. 3:30 started up - 7:30 started down, arrived back at the base around 9:00am. It was a great morning even with the FOG that eventually cleared.

Anything can happen on Sunrise round #2 but, you have to be there to be part of it. Don't forget the weather on the Summit can change rapidly so, be prepared. Bring gloves/head gear and leave the shorts at home or at least in the car :). Kilts are optional. Great way to close out a Great weekend.

CHRIS
07-21-2010, 07:20 AM
Very true Brad and Karen. Anytime you can spend on the summit is absolutely fantastic. I admit it is alot nicer when there is just a handful of people on the top with you.Plus last month the sun did come out and the undercast clouds were truely amazing. Cannot wait to see what happens this month. See everybody on the top..

Charlie
07-21-2010, 05:37 PM
. Don't forget the weather on the Summit can change rapidly so, be prepared. Bring gloves/head gear and leave the shorts at home or at least in the car :). Kilts are optional. Great way to close out a Great weekend.

you dont no me to well then it has to be a lot colder up there for me to put on a hat and gloves and i will have shorts on ,you can count on that :);):cool::cool:

BAXTERCA2
07-21-2010, 07:05 PM
Sorry Charlie
I should have phrased it like this: Be prepared, bring gloves/head gear except for you Charlie. I saw you in May snow still on/around the summit and you were sporting SHORTS!;). That's why I like you, you beat to your drum!

Brad
07-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Sorry Charlie
I should have phrased it like this: Be prepared, bring gloves/head gear except for you Charlie. I saw you in May snow still on/around the summit and you were sporting SHORTS!;). That's why I like you, you beat to your drum!
Just as long as he keeps his drum out of my Suby.

Snow Miser
07-22-2010, 01:59 PM
I recall seeing a photo from last winter with Charlie out snow blowing his driveway in shorts, during a blizard we were in PA. I think he has antifreeze for blood, but then again I love the cold too. LOL