PDA

View Full Version : One Way Cog Railroad Tickets

JellyKross
06-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Just a question about taking the Cog Railroad down. Do they sell one-way tickets on Holiday weekends (heading up this Sunday, 7/4). Do the trains normaly sell out? What are the chances of cathing a train down?

I've been told that even if you purchase a round trip ticket before hand, that if you are not on the train for the ride up, they can not guarantee your seat for the ride down.....(this does not sound right)...is this true?

I know that I can not count on the Cog for a ride down, but would be nice to know my chances for catching it down. Just figures that my trip up is over a holiday weekend...ugh!!!

Breeze
06-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Hmmmm.

Lets review.

" It is not a good idea to count on any "ride" down Mt Washington, Cog OR Hiker Shuttle OR car-pick-up. There can be no guarantee that a ride down is available.

Please, rethink your hike if you don't think you'll be able to get down under your own power.

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, here. Truly.

Last Saturday, the annual Mt Washington Road Race put over 1000 runners on the summit, some of them had PLANNED to ride the Cog down. Unfortunately, for some mechanical or track issue, the Cog DID NOT RUN a single train to the summit all day. It happens!!!!!!!!!!!

Hiker Shuttle info:

http://www.mountwashingtonautoroad.com/Page-512.html"

You don't know whether you will actually summit, or when, so your plans have a guarantee of zero. The Cog can't guarantee they will get a train to the summit, or when, OR IF there will be seats available going down, so they have guarantee of zero.

Zero plus Zero is Zero.

What are ya gonna do if there is no ride down?

Breeze

Brad
06-29-2010, 06:05 AM
One always has to be prepared to get down on their own - always. The best way of doing that is don't go farther up than you can go down.

rockin rex
06-29-2010, 09:36 AM
If you hike up the rock pile always remember you are only 1/2 done. NEVER count on getting a ride from the summit via cog, shuttle or thumb. As so well put in previous post, climb no further than what you are comfortable in turning around and heading back down. Too many people think with the mini city on top if they make it up that they will be able to find a ride down. That thought pattern has caused many a person great agony. The only way you are (almost) Guaranteed a ride down is if you have someone meet you at the top. What my family has done is that I will hike with the kids to the top and then my wife will meet us up top with the car. The kids will hop in the car with mom and then I will head back down trail and then we all meet up at Pinkham. Notice I said "ALMOST" guaranteed a ride.. They can close the road at ANY time and again you are never guaranteed that a vehicle will be able to make it up the road to meet you. If needed my kids could have made it back down but I was always lucky enough to be able to have my wife meet us. My kids loved hiking up with Dad and driving back down with mommy.