PDA

View Full Version : Nelson Crag Trail

Richg
06-29-2010, 06:49 AM
Thanks to the people on this board, I've been able to fine tune my upcoming hike quite a bit. I was wondering if the Nelson Crag trail (if that's what it's called) is one of those trails that is not recommeneded for a decent due to the steepness. It doesn't look like it from the contours on the map but that's what I thought about the Sphinx and Great Gulf Headwall trails.

The hike plan as it stands now is up Boot Spur, over to Monroe, over Washington and down Nelson Crag back to car at Pinkham. Thanks.

Snow Miser
06-29-2010, 07:27 AM
We did the Nelson Crag down about 5 years ago, and I'd have to say it kick our butts. Especially below tree line. The steps and ledges were somewhat steep and it involved a lot of jumping down each level. As a result, our knees where toast at the bottom. It's probably the kind of trail that would be best going up.

But you may want to try it for yourselves.

Gorque
06-29-2010, 08:48 AM
I descended along the Nelson Crag trail 3 years ago. It's fairly exposed and has great easterly views along the upper and middle portions. From what I recall, the trail becomes steep in certain areas, just before and just after it meets up with the auto road, but nothing too extreme that can't be overcome with caution.

rockin rex
06-29-2010, 09:11 AM
This sounds like a great plan. Just be prepared for the weather in case you don't have a blue bird day. You will be be above tree for a long time and on Nelson Crag going down you will be very exposed. I was on Nelson Crag in very high winds and had to pull myself across laying down because had I stood up I would have been knocked over. Nelson going down is not bad as a descent trail but as all trails on the rock pile are it is steep. Enjoy the day.