PDA

View Full Version : Waumbek/Cabot info

Addicted
06-30-2010, 06:51 PM
I'm planning a 2 day hike of Cabot and Waumbek in July. We'll be camping in Lancaster and doing one summit one day, then the other the next.

I keep hearing about the gate at the Fish Hatchery only being open from 8-4. How much of a problem does this create for us? Is there parking before the gate, and is there a longer walk in if the gate is closed?? I don't wanna get up there and find it's an issue, just seeing if anyone has first hand advise.

Also, if anyone can attest to the difficulty/lack of difficulty for each of these? Trying to decide which to do 1st and which to do 2nd.

Thanks!

mahony
07-01-2010, 07:17 AM
Look at the Views From The Top (VFTT) website for the latest on the gate. It is usually left open in the non-winter months and I went by around 9PM last fall and it was closed, but unlocked. You can call to ask them to leave it open...don't have the number handy though. You can knock on the door to the house near the gate and they can open it, but like I said it is usually unlocked...probably to keep people from knocking on their door:D

Parking after the gate is plentiful...I'm sure you can find a spot along the road if the gate were locked.

Kimball
07-04-2010, 12:50 PM
There is a small dirt lot, just outside the gate on York Pond Road. Probably holds 5+ cars.

I parked there this June, expecting a late return.

-Kimball

Addicted
07-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Thanks guys. I know we'll never make the 8-4 window that they keep it open (according to trail guides etc). I will call before heading up north to see what the deal is this summer.