PDA

View Full Version : need some back-up hike suggestions

Richg
07-04-2010, 08:03 AM
I have a Presidential hike planned for this week but it looks like the weather may not stay with us for the higher peaks as far as wind goes. I may have to cancel the higher peak hike in lieu of a couple of smaller hikes. Does anyone have any suggestions of some lesser hikes with some good views in the Pinkham Notch area?

By "lesser" I mean less elevation but something that's treeless on top for some good 360 views. Distance of anything up to 15 miles round trip would be fine. Thanks !

Bill O
07-04-2010, 10:00 AM
What's wrong with the winds? I don't see anything too extreme. Given the warm temperatures the wind will be welcome. I was above treeline yesterday and it was pleasantly cool with the wind, but as soon as I got onto the lee slopes with no wind it felt very warm even though the air temp was in the 50s.

What are you seeing for wind forecasts? Maybe I'm not seeing what you are. 30-40mph is a nuisance, but manageable. 40-50mph will push you around, but is also manageable. 50+ is not fun.

Richg
07-04-2010, 04:34 PM
What's wrong with the winds? I don't see anything too extreme. Given the warm temperatures the wind will be welcome. I was above treeline yesterday and it was pleasantly cool with the wind, but as soon as I got onto the lee slopes with no wind it felt very warm even though the air temp was in the 50s.

What are you seeing for wind forecasts? Maybe I'm not seeing what you are. 30-40mph is a nuisance, but manageable. 40-50mph will push you around, but is also manageable. 50+ is not fun.

It says on the intellicast site that it will be windy wed and thurs - no exact wind speed figures. I just saw on the weather channel site that wind speeds will be 30mph w/ temps in the 60's. Yeah, that doesn't sound too bad - actually sound pretty good. What site do you use?
Still, it would be nice to have a few back-up ideas for hikes just in case. I'm thinking maybe Mount Eisenhower from the west, or Mt Madison from the north. Mt Chocura always looked like a cool mountain to hike, but I've never been there. That might be another possibility.

Knapper
07-04-2010, 05:43 PM
Intellicast, weather.com, accuweather, etc all pull their long range data from MOS: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/mos/getall.pl?sta=KMWN Apart from NWS Grey, ME and Mount Washington Observatory (who produce daily 36 hour forecasts) the numbers you see forecasted are purely model numbers with very little to no human interaction. But, they can give you a rough idea of what is going on but keep in mind the further out you go, regardless of the model/forecast, the less accurate you get.

Currently in the models, winds are to be less than 30-40 mph the whole week. Thats low for the summits. I would say your bigger concern should be the daily thunderstorm possibility from Monday on.

Knapper
07-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions of some lesser hikes with some good views in the Pinkham Notch area?

Forgot to add that some nice hikes though with the 360 views in Pinkham you want:
Wildcat Mt.
Mt. Moriah
Middle Carter
Imp Face
Lowes Bald Spot
The ledge off of Liebeskinds loop
Halls ledge
Lions Head

If you go to Crawford Notch, the Sugarloafs are a quick hike with bald 360 summits.