PDA

View Full Version : Thirsty on Mt. Washington

Aprilschatz82
07-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Hello everyone. I am about to make the jaunt up the big guy in a few days with my husband, and I am wondering how much water would be sufficient to two adults for the hike. Any suggestions? Are there water sources at the summit to refresh for the hike back down? Any help would be very much appreciated. Vielen Dank an Alle!

Bill O
07-07-2010, 09:12 PM
There is water at the summit, Lakes of the Clouds hut and Hermit Lake Shelters. None of these water sources need to be treated.

Knapper
07-07-2010, 11:25 PM
This varies for person to person but I would say it is 2-3 liters per person to do the summit. In other words, two to three liter sized nalgene bottles or one large camel pack bag. A 20 oz bottle from the 7-11 on your way here is not the right amount and is what is causing the heat related issues rescuers in the range have been dealing with the past few days. So on a hot day like the past few days, if you sweat a lot, pack more. I usually will carry four liters with me on a day hike just to be safe. There are opportunities to get more water though like Bill O said. If you are coming from Pinkham Notch, there is potable water at the Hermit Lake Shelter. If coming up the ammonoosuc ravine trail there is water at Lakes of the Clouds shelter. There is water during the summer season at the summit as well so long as you get here while the building is open. If you need water between established sites, there are a few springs available on other trails as well as creeks or run off. Springs are usually marked on maps and run off is come and go. But if you are looking at getting water from these, treat it or use a filtered pump. If you are coming from Pinkham Notch, each of you can pack 2 liters of water and have 2 empty bottles in your bag that way when you get to the shelter at the base of Tux, you can asses the situation and either just refill your 2 liters or fill all four.

BlueDog
07-08-2010, 10:49 AM
I don't think I've ever regretted carrying TOO MUCH water. :)

smithtim
07-08-2010, 01:52 PM
I always take one gallon water jug per person and I've never returned from a full day hike with anything less than a nearly empty... if you get the square bottled water from the grocery they fit nicely into the backpack :)

Yes it will be heavy at first but gets lighter as the day goes on & always better to have to much than not enough

Gorque
07-08-2010, 02:01 PM
There's also the option of bringing a water purifier with you in case you don't like the weight and bulk of carrying a lot of water with you.

Bill O
07-08-2010, 09:13 PM
I'm probably with Tim in that I could easily consume a gallon of water on a dayhike. But that is quite a load to carry, especially when there is dependable access to potable water along the route. Over the course of breakfast and getting ready at the trailhead I could easily down a liter of water. From there I would leave the parking lot with 2 liters in my backpack. Or just one liter and refill at Hermit Lake if that was my route. I think you get my point.