PDA

View Full Version : Little Haystack

d.b.cooperisalive
07-16-2010, 11:18 AM
There is got to be an easy answer for this but can anyone tell me why Little Haystack Mountain isn't considered on the list of 4,000 footers? It is well over the required 4k. One can climb the Falling Water Trail to get to it and return by the same trail. You can climb FWT to to peak of Haystack and climb the ridge to Lincoln. You would have to return the same route to claim Lincoln as an official climb. Why can't this be true for Haystack. I find this absolutely stupid.

mtruman
07-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Here's the answer from the official 4000 footer FAQ:

Q. Why are some 4000-foot peaks not on the list?

A. To qualify for the list, a peak must rise 200 feet above any ridge connecting it to a higher neighbor. As a result, several notable peaks (including Clay, Guyot and the south peak of Moosilauke) are not included on the lists despite their height. Determinations are made according to the most current USGS topographical maps and peaks have been added to or deleted from the lists as newer maps became available. (By contrast, the Adirondack 46ers, which were developed using different criteria, do not change in response to updated surveys).

In this case I believe Lincoln is the 4K neighbor that takes Little Haystack off the list. The entire FAQ and 4000 footer info is here: http://www.amc4000footer.org/faq.htm#

This doesn't mean that by climbing Little Haystack you haven't climbed a 4000 footer - it just means you can't check it off a "list". Shouldn't make the experience any less enjoyable!

Bill O
07-16-2010, 01:20 PM
Can't add much to Mark's answer. It's all about prominence. Mt. Clay technically is not a peak either.

KSearl
07-25-2010, 07:41 PM
Isn't there a Trail Rights list too, which counts all 72 high points in NH, regardless of sag between peaks? I think I heard you have to climb them one at a time though, you can't consolidate more than one peak per hike. I think it is something like this. I thought I read about it in another post.

I'd be lucky to get half of the 48's under my belt, myself.

Karl