PDA

View Full Version : Mt Adams

Tparnes
07-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Hey everyone, I have not posted in a while so I thought I would do so!
I am planing on hiking Mt Adams this Saturday 7/24. I am not sure what trail I want to take and am looking for some suggestions. This will be my second time on the mountain and the first was a few winters back and for the life of me I can not remember what we took to the top.

I was thinking of these three:
Lowe's Path
King Ravine
Airline

What does everyone think?

Also if anyone is interested in coming along for the journey feel free to contact me.

-Tyler

Jimmy Legs and Little d
07-22-2010, 01:51 PM
Several years ago we hiked up the Valley Way to the Airline, which takes you over Durand Ridge. It's a 10 miles roundtrip. Any of the trails should be spectacular. Have fun!

Donna:)

krummholz
07-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Here's my take on it:

Valley Way--most boring
Airline--nice, you're up on a ridge with good views in the upper part
Lowe's Path--don't know, haven't done that
King Ravine--Super classic! Challenging, a very steep section up the headwall, lots of scrambling, but incredible!
Great Gully--No one goes this way, but amazing! One tricky spot. You'll be going up a moist gully with interesting plant life, with a great contrast to the surrounding tundra. Like King Ravine, lots of scrambling. In other words, you should be comfortable climbing with hands as well as feet.

And there you have it.

Tparnes
07-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Sounds good, thanks for all the suggestions! I will post a TR sometime this weekend.

-Tyler

Bill O
07-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Just curious, why aren't you hiking Mount Washington and doing Seek The Peak?

Tparnes
07-23-2010, 10:05 AM
Bill -

I actually thought I was going to have to work this weekend so I didn’t sign up, and just found out the other day that I will be free.
You think it would be worth going to Washington even though I am not signed up for seek the peak? I figured everyone and the brother will be there so maybe I would skip the crowd and hit another peak.

What do you think, is it worth going even tho it is to late to sign up?

Tparnes
07-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Does anyone know the address or coordinates for the Lowe's Store? I was told there is parking there but I cant find an address for it. I think I will do the Lowe's Path.

billysinc
07-23-2010, 12:08 PM
The Lowes store is almost directly across Rt2 from the trailhead about 2 miles or so West of the Appalachia parking lot. Nice people and super friendly to hikers.

Bill O
07-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Bill -

I actually thought I was going to have to work this weekend so I didn’t sign up, and just found out the other day that I will be free.
You think it would be worth going to Washington even though I am not signed up for seek the peak? I figured everyone and the brother will be there so maybe I would skip the crowd and hit another peak.

What do you think, is it worth going even tho it is to late to sign up?

I was just giving you a hard time. Mount Washington is certainly still open, but is also going to be more crowded than normal. Its a good chance to meet some people from the forum and socialize on the hike, but if you are looking for something quieter then Adams would be the place.

Tparnes
07-26-2010, 09:30 AM
Just a quick TR because I said I would.

Took the Airline trail up and down Adams.

Was not much of a view but it added some drama to the hike. Im sure everyone at Seek The Peak and the same great views!

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh153/tparnes/IMG_4769.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh153/tparnes/IMG_4756.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh153/tparnes/IMG_4757.jpg

Snow Miser
07-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Nice photos! We had the same views. Hope to see you next year at STP11.:)