PDA

View Full Version : Parking at the summit ....

thesubwaypusher
08-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Hi, my friend and I would like to take the Auto Road up to the summit of MW and hike from there to Madison, and stay overnight at the Valley Way tentsite. could anyone tell me if parking overnight at the top of the Auto Road is permitted?

Thanks, Chris

Trailsend
08-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Hi Chris,

No unfortunately overnight parking on top of the Auto Road is not permitted. One alternative for you if you don't want to hike up, is the Cog or the Shuttle Van up to the summit and used the same coming down. Hope this can help.

Armando

Breeze
08-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Whoa Armando! Not so !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes you MAY park overnight. You need to tell the Toll House attendant that you are parking overnight. The Toll House will record your car make, model, color, license plate info, your name and your destination, the dates of your arrival and expected departure, and the location on the road where your vehicle will be parked. No extra fee beyond the auto road toll, the information is given to Road Patrol at the end of the working day to help ensure that cars UP there are there for a reason, not just overdue hikers who may be locked in overnight or otherwise need assistance.

Folks park at the Madison Gulf TH, the Wamsutta TH, Nelson's Crag TH--, the summit----frequently. Its no big deal. CAR CAMPING is what's not allowed.

Chris, just as an FYI, the Valley Way Tentsite will be closed/ unavailable Aug 8 thru Aug 12 for site work.

Breeze

MWAR employee

BlueDog
08-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks for this info Breeze. My gut answer would have been that its not allowed, but I searched and didn't find the info to support an answer either way. Great to know this, and from a reliable source too. :) Though we may not want it to become too public, so that places like Lakes hut get jammed up with people that think a hike there involves coming down from the summit parking lot! :P

Breeze
08-03-2010, 12:14 PM
YW.

Actually, another piece of info needs to go into the mix, and that is to check the Auto Road Events schedule to ensure the AR is open for down-bound travel when one would be departing. TollHouse would be able to give you the info-- such as not coming down until XYZ time after a road race. We also will give heads up in possible "weather" scenarios about checking with MWSP before heading down.

HEHE- Lakes hut is already #1 reason for overnight parking on the summit, has been for YEARS. No secret, there.

Breeze

Brad
08-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Wow I had no idea about overnight parking. This could be a great intro to the mountains and AMC huts to a child.

BlueDog
08-03-2010, 03:18 PM
HEHE- Lakes hut is already #1 reason for overnight parking on the summit, has been for YEARS. No secret, there.
Breeze

In that case... for those that stumble on this thread, you should know its still a very treacherous long climb to the hut from the summit. One only fit for professional mountaineers! And its uphill... both ways!

Breeze
08-03-2010, 05:36 PM
don't get me going, here.... Bluedog...... you wascall, I'm LOLOL.

you can be sitting in your car with the AC on high at MWAR BASE, but the summit weather could be 40 degrees, 55-70 MPH winds, wind chill in the teens/low twenties and visibility of 15-50 feet. In which case, the hike to/from Lakes Hut might as well be uphill both ways. Especially for kids.

Brad, are ya with us on this?

Breeze

rockin rex
08-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Why would someone park on top to walk down?? The ammo is kid friendly to lakes and that seems a much better approach. I am trying to wrap my brain around why someone would want to drive up the auto road and park there to hike overnight. If the answer is so they have an easier approach to Lakes is it really an easier approach???? Try The summit to Lakes approach in bad weather and it can be deadly if not properly prepared. I would say overnight parking should not be allowed on the summit. With the A.M.C. and Auto Road hiker shuttles it is not needed.

Breeze
08-03-2010, 06:41 PM
Hey Rex, it is what it is, guy. C'mon up and job shadow with me for a week or two.

On the kinder, gentler, front.. Trish and Alex and Family took good advantage of the bottom- up /top -down approach last year and have lasting memories of a fabulous family weekend well spent together within the spell of of Agiocochook at Lakes of the Clouds.

Your ( or my ) common sense is another person's foreign language.

Breeze

Trailsend
08-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Breeze thanks for the info, I guess was misinformed !!!

I don't recall where and when I received the information that overnight parking was not allowed.

Snow Miser
08-04-2010, 07:44 AM
I would have thought overnight parking wouldn't be allowed too. But it's good to know that it is. For some people, it must work well to get down to the Lakes Hut.

KD Talbot
08-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Thanks for sorting through the myths and legends and posting the correct answers once again, Breeze!

Maybe they should extend the auto road right to lakes? Would save people a lot of trouble!

...but seriously, I'm thinkin' I might have never stood on the summit with my granddaughter if not for the auto road, it certainly has its place and is part of the rich history of the mountain.

KDT

thesubwaypusher
08-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Whoa Armando! Not so !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes you MAY park overnight. You need to tell the Toll House attendant that you are parking overnight. The Toll House will record your car make, model, color, license plate info, your name and your destination, the dates of your arrival and expected departure, and the location on the road where your vehicle will be parked. No extra fee beyond the auto road toll, the information is given to Road Patrol at the end of the working day to help ensure that cars UP there are there for a reason, not just overdue hikers who may be locked in overnight or otherwise need assistance.

Folks park at the Madison Gulf TH, the Wamsutta TH, Nelson's Crag TH--, the summit----frequently. Its no big deal. CAR CAMPING is what's not allowed.

Chris, just as an FYI, the Valley Way Tentsite will be closed/ unavailable Aug 8 thru Aug 12 for site work.

Breeze

MWAR employee

Thank you for your replies everyone. Breeze, great to know, thanks!

Chris

Brad
08-04-2010, 03:16 PM
My mother grew up in VT and then lived in RI followed by NC. But, she loved the "big sky" as she called it in NH and Maine. When she was in her late 80's I took her up to the summit and she was all smiles. She loved being up there - the views out over the range - the wind in her hair. She was like a little kid in a candy store with a credit card. It was a trip she always looked back on as something very special. Having the Cog and Auto Road available can provide a special occasion for folks they would never be able to experience any other way.