PDA

View Full Version : Nice Aurora Borealis Predicted For 8/3 and 8/4

Snow Miser
08-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Just read this article (http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/08/03/spectacular-northern-lights-signals-sun-waking/) and thought some on these forums may be interested if you're outdoors the next two evenings.

Brad
08-03-2010, 04:49 PM
We need someone to move the clouds out of the way here in Maine.

Breeze
08-03-2010, 06:00 PM
I'd love to see it, hope tomorrow night is more favorable.

My last memory of watching the Aurora Borealis here in Maine goes way back to August 1984 from the Eastern Promenade in Portland ME. It was fabulous, I parked in the upper lot, got settled on the car hood leaning back against the windshield and just gaped for several hours. There were other cars, and watchers, but you could have heard a pin drop, it was that attention grabbing. Dancing fireworks in green, purple and white with no sound effects.

Goosebumps just remembering.

Breeze

Snow Miser
08-03-2010, 07:11 PM
They are spectacular to watch. Hopefully the clouds move out here in PA tomorrow as well as up there.

Brad
08-04-2010, 05:26 AM
At 2:30 AM we had clouds and I went back to bed.

Snow Miser
08-04-2010, 07:36 AM
Went out at 11pm. There were a few small breaks in the clouds, but didn't see anything either.

spyboy
08-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Here's the auroral oval report for the Northern Hemisphere.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/pmap/pmapN.html

Where's a good place in NH to see it? I'm in the Lakes Region and it's pretty dark at my house, but I don't mind driving north a bit to get a good shot.

I'd think on the summit would be great if it's a clear night. I expect pictures from the OBS staff (if it's clear)!!!! :)

Kirk

Snow Miser
08-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the report Kirk! It shows at least minor activity stretching down as far as here around Philadelphia. Hoping for some partial clearing, but forecast says it's unlikely.:(

mtruman
08-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Went out tonight. Clear sky with many stars! Looked north. Saw the lights! Turned out to be the lights from Walmart :-<

Bill O
08-04-2010, 08:55 PM
I'm in Avalon, NJ. Skies are clearing, but there is a lot of haze along the coast.

Snow Miser
08-05-2010, 07:38 AM
Went outside again last night. It was hazy, but with some stars shining through. Thought I saw some of the lights, but it turned out to be an approaching storm with lightning.

Brad
08-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Haze to our north - some stars overhead - but no northern lights except for the town 2 miles up the lake from us. So, I snagged a long exposure for the fun of it.

http://images52.fotki.com/v733/photos/5/8235/8787143/IMG_2509f-vi.jpg

Jeremy
08-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Hi...newcomer here.

I was thinking of packing up the dogs and heading to Mt Washington just in case the northern lights made an appearance tonight. But it seems that I may be too late, and that the weather is not cooperating. But just in case I do go, is there any place near by to stay that allows dogs?

ADVthanksANCE

jlm

One_who_waits
08-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Wife and I were lucky enough to be in Chisasibi CA on Tuesday night.

HOLY COW!!!!!! Once in a lifetime.

Our tent was pitched on the shores of the Arctic Ocean and when the sun set........the lights came out. My little digital camera didn't pick up pics, :(

They went on all night. They were al around us. To the East, West, North, and South. And directly over our heads. Absolutely amazing.

Bill O
08-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Wife and I were lucky enough to be in Chisasibi CA on Tuesday night.

HOLY COW!!!!!! Once in a lifetime.

Our tent was pitched on the shores of the Arctic Ocean and when the sun set........the lights came out. My little digital camera didn't pick up pics, :(

They went on all night. They were al around us. To the East, West, North, and South. And directly over our heads. Absolutely amazing.

Wait, what? I was confused when you wrote CA as in California, but you said Arctic Ocean. So I looked up that location. Is that on the shores of James Bay? Yes, seeing the Aurora must have been awesome, but tell us more about this camping trip. Feel free to post about it in the general discussion or hiking forums. I'd love to hear more about it.

Snow Miser
08-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Ya, I'd love to hear more about your camping trip up to James Bay. That's pretty far up in the interior.

Bill O
08-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Ya, I'd love to hear more about your camping trip up to James Bay. That's pretty far up in the interior.

See ongoing thread with many photos in the general discussion forum. What a great trip.