PDA

View Full Version : Flat Areas Near Mt. Isolation

DanPBD
08-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Hi All,

On this link (http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/mount-isolation.html), it mentions a primitive campsite near the junction of Isolation Trail and Davis Path. Anyone have details on that site? Are there other flat areas where I have good chance of finding flat ground for a tent 200ft from the trail? I'm looking to avoid established sites, and include an overnight somewhere after Mt. Washington on a North to South Presi starting around 4AM. I also heard there may be a decent area to the west of Dry River Trail and Oaks Gulf. Any suggestions for the best chance to find am area in the Dry River Wilderness?

I have the guides and I'm up to speed on the specific regs. I intend to camp legally no matter what, or go to an established site if I have to.

I don't post often, but I visit often, the information that all members provide here on the forum is greatly appreciated...

Thank you,

Dan

mahony
08-06-2010, 12:48 PM
There is an esatablished tent area near teh junction of the davis path and isolation trail. There is also a similar site on the East side of the river across the river from the Rocky Branch Shelter. The area to the East of the river from Rocky Branch Shelter #2 all the way up to Davis Path is reasonably flat. The bushwhack described in the AMC guide on the East side (to avoid water crossings) is partly over a ridge above the river that is dry and flat at the top.

The Davis Path from Isolation Trail to the summit of Mt. Isolation is relatively flat, but the vegetation is thicker than on the Isolation Trail.

All this said, there are many places to camp legally and on a decent surface in multitudes of places from the Trailhead of Rocky Branch Trail all the way to the summit of Mt. Isolation. Plenty of bear sign off the trail too.

Edit: I mistakenly thought you were doing a Mt. Isolation Trip. So at the East junction of the Isolation Trail and the Davis Path there is a signed campsite, but it's not advertised in the AMC book. Last weekend a NFS Ranger told me that they don't always keep up with the camping spots and that's not a bad thing because then people won't follow old maps to closed sites. Anyway, the site I'm referring to was there last October. The Davis path to Isolation Mt. from the Iolsolation Trail is fairly flat and I'm sure you could find a spot in the woods.