PDA

View Full Version : Black bear

spyboy
08-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Sunday night I went out to get dinner, turned back onto my road (we're the only house on the road) and a full size adult black bear walks out of the woods.

I stop the truck in the road, about 30-40 feet from him. And we just stare at each other. He was by the telephone pole closest to me.

All I had was my iPhone, and it took forever to get the camera part running (thanks iOS 4.01 + iPhone 3G for the slow speeds now) but I managed to get this shot:

http://www.spyboy.com/pix/bear.jpg

He ran up the hill by the big rock to the right, past that, there's a small group of trees, then it opens up into a hilly area behind the Route 104 diner. Maybe he was heading for the dumpsters?

KathyC
08-10-2010, 04:58 AM
I was in North Conway two weeks ago. We were driving on Passaconaway Rd. and saw one going through the garbage on someones porch. There was one in the back of our hotel too, we heard that when they shut the lights off at the pool it came out and tried to get into the garbage, but it was enclosed. It was right outside of our balcony too, but we were sound asleep. You could see his big paw prints on it though and he left pile of something behind too, if you know what I mean.

Snow Miser
08-10-2010, 09:32 AM
That's a good photo! Don't you hate when those great shots present themselves and the camera either isn't ready or you don't have one at all.

KSearl
08-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Hey, I think that is a pretty good shot considering he was running, it was an I-phone and were in a truck. I would have been lucky to have remembered to stop the truck if I saw a bear (have never seen one)! Nice shot.

Karl

spyboy
08-12-2010, 03:14 PM
As commercial photographer Chase Jarvis says, "The best camera is the one you have with you" which usually ends up being my iPhone. It's true!

Great Guinness Ghost
08-12-2010, 07:47 PM
And my good friend and photography mentor always uses this one: "F8 and be there!"

forestgnome
08-14-2010, 08:22 PM
As long as you captured a moment you have accomplished the most important thing, IMO. Nice!