PDA

View Full Version : What foods in your hiking pack?

KSearl
08-10-2010, 03:15 PM
I was thinking this weekend, while packing my lunch for a day hike, how my choice of foods to bring along has evolved over time. Some food items, I have always taken with me on hikes where as others, I have seen other hikers eating and thought it would be a great item to have for lunch while hiking. In some of those cases, I have adopted them as normal items I bring along. So, my question to you forum members is what are your favorite food items that you consistently take on a day hike (not an overnight hike as I'm sure your choices would be different)?

This is what you can commonly find in my rucksack:

2 Clementine's (adopted)
1 Banana (have always brought along - my wife substitutes in an apple)
1 Peanut Butter Sandwich (have always brought along, but I experiment with different breads to mix it up)
1 Small Bag of Chex Mix (have always brought along)
1 Small Bag of Flavor Blast Gold Fish Crackers (adopted)
1 Fiber One Bar (have always brought along)
1 Small Bag of Trail Mix (the good, but bad kind from Target, with chocolate covered caramel balls, m&ms and cashews! very, very delicious)

Please understand that my wife and I share all of the bagged food and we typically carry food back with us too. I didn't want anyone out there to think I ate ALL of this food in one hike!:) I just ensure I have more than enough...just in case.

So what do you bring?

Karl

mtruman
08-11-2010, 07:55 AM
Our trail food standbys generally consist of some combination of the following:

Peanut butter and honey sandwiches or Fluffernutters.
Small jar of peanut butter with pretzels to dip in it
Apples
Cheese (either the Crackerbarrel individually wrapped, string cheese or Laughing Cow minns) These all last for several days just fine without refrigeration
Fruit and nut trail mix with either M&Ms or chocolate chunks
Granola bars or some kind of energy bars
Chex mix or chips (to go with the sandwich)

In the winter (or cold spring/fall days) we usually carry a thermos of lemon herbal tea with lots of honey in it. Great for warming up and an energy boost.

Snow Miser
08-11-2010, 09:06 AM
In my pack, I usually carry the following:

peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
some type of trail mix
high energy sports bars
dark chocolate
dried fruit

Some of these items will vary depending on the length of the hike, but usually this is it. Great idea for a thread Karl!:)

JimS
08-11-2010, 01:28 PM
I have a few standards...
1) Powerbars or Larabars
2) M&M's or Peanut Butter Cups
3) Trail Mix
4) Cheese and Meat Logs (3 season not summer)
5) Peanut Butter Sandwich or Tuna Salad Pouch
6) Goo Shots

In autumn and winter, I chew sunflower seeds to ensure that I keep drinking...I tend not to otherwise in cool weather...

Also in autumn, I'm always with apple...well worth the weight!

My standard overnight meal has become Annies Mac and Cheese with pouch chicken or tuna mixed in, though Backcountry kitchen is usually good too!

Plus...I like foraging along the trail...lots to eat in the woods!

KathyC
08-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Sorry Jim, but I have to ask. What do you find to eat in the woods?

Also another question to ask anyone, I was wondering this and I think this would be a good thread to ask....
I've been reading that there are a lot more bears coming out, we saw one last week on Passaconoway Rd. and one at our hotel too. Couldn't they smell the food on you while hiking and attack?

JimS
08-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Lots of stuff...roots, nuts, berries, leaves, shoots...anyone who has hiked with me has gotten a mealfull...

There are a number of books on foraging and wild foods...but it's important to REALLY KNOW what you are about to eat and make a 100% sure positive id. For that reason, I don't forage for mushrooms alone, even though there are some very good ones out there...the risks are too high, and I just don't know enough.

This time of year is getting close to pickerel weed seed season...cattails too...quick google search will fill ya in!

Alao, to get started...I like this guys youtube site:
http://www.youtube.com/user/EatTheWeeds?feature=chclk

mtruman
08-11-2010, 09:36 PM
Sounds like some great foraging! This time of year you could get by just on the berries. Mmmmmm.

Kathy - I don't think there's much danger of the bears attacking in NE. Rooting around the campsite at night for food is another matter but pretty unlikely that a black bear is going to go for your backpack while you're wearing it. Out west may be a bit of a different story...

Snow Miser
08-12-2010, 08:58 AM
Also another question to ask anyone, I was wondering this and I think this would be a good thread to ask....
I've been reading that there are a lot more bears coming out, we saw one last week on Passaconoway Rd. and one at our hotel too. Couldn't they smell the food on you while hiking and attack?

Kathy - I've recently started hiking at night with food in my pack, and I don't worry about the black bears doing anything. I have yet to see one at night when they may be more active than in the day, I think, but if we run into one, I am sure they will try to avoid us. Here in PA, I would be more concerned with a small pack of coyotes giving us a hard time. I have heard them howling as close as what might be 100 yards away, but maybe they see the lights from our headlamps and just keep their distance.

KSearl
08-12-2010, 10:47 AM
It sounds like a peanut butter (and jelly or fluff) sandwich is pretty standard across the board. I think the dried fruit is a very good idea. I may also start looking into power bars as most of you mentioned them.

A couple questions for Jim S.: What are goo balls? What are cheese and meat logs? I'm not sure if these sound appetizing or not!

Kathy, I worry about the same thing regarding a bear wanting what's in your pack if they are really hungry. Although I have not heard of it happening.

Karl

JimS
08-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Goo Shots, Gu, Clif Gel...all the same...quick rush of energy through carbs and caf. Gets me going for sunrise hikes better than anything, and on par with chocolate for a midday pickmeup.

Info...
http://www.mynextrace.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1166

Meat Logs...any snack sausage...just part of the arsenal, and vernacular...though we could/should probably call it something better...

MOAB149
08-13-2010, 01:54 PM
I break apart MREs and mix and match the best contents. Plus peanut butter packs, protein water mix, trail mix, Special K protein bars and chewing gum. And, everything double sealed in zip lock bags. The MRE foods are already sealed up tight. Almost forgot, Starbucks VIA instant coffee packs. It's better than brewed.

One_who_waits
08-14-2010, 09:51 PM
Wife and I are not too fussy about what to bring on dayhikes.

But, more often than not, there is the following...

PBJ
Water
Mini Clif Bars
Drink mix (Gatorade, Tang, or Iced Tea)
Home made trail mix
and banana or apple

Trailsend
08-15-2010, 07:49 PM
No peanut butter for me I don't particular care for it....so for a day hike a normally carry the following:

---Stinger energy chews & honey packs
---Granola Bars
---Energy Bars
---Some kind of protein like beef, venison jerky or a Tanka Bar
---Organic Trail Mix

It can vary depending on weather conditions,etc.

Snow Miser
08-15-2010, 08:13 PM
No peanut butter for me I don't particular care for it....so for a day hike a normally carry the following:

---Stinger energy chews & honey packs
---Granola Bars
---Energy Bars
---Some kind of protein like beef, venison jerky or a Tanka Bar
---Organic Trail Mix

It can vary depending on weather conditions,etc.

Armando, I like the idea of beef/jerky. Will have to add that to my list.

Brad
08-16-2010, 06:26 AM
Armando, I like the idea of beef/jerky. Will have to add that to my list.
I am not a beef jerky fan. But, have you tried buffalo jerky? A bit more expensive, but very good.

Brad
08-16-2010, 06:27 AM
Maybe we could have a MWO brand of buffalo jerky! Now, that would set us apart.

Snow Miser
08-16-2010, 07:49 AM
Maybe we could have a MWO brand of buffalo jerky! Now, that would set us apart.

Something like that could be sold in the gift shops, etc. (All this talk of jerky and trail food is making me hungry.:D)

KSearl
08-16-2010, 08:35 PM
You guys sold me on the jerky. Just picked some up at the grocery store for my hike this weekend!

Karl

Addicted
08-18-2010, 04:25 PM
They make turkey jerkey too. Yum.

MelNino
08-19-2010, 06:47 AM
Snickers
Apples
Oranges
Granola bars
Fruit bars
PB&J
fruit snacks (small packages I can carry in my pockets)

Ugh, I miss hiking....between this heat (ok, I am a wimp, lol) and hurting my leg....I've been stationary. Dull!! (and no excuse to eat Snickers)

Jimmy Legs and Little d
08-19-2010, 02:32 PM
Our standard list is includes:
Peanut Butter Sandwiches or Fluffernutters Sandwiches
Jalapeno Cheese Crackers
Fresh Fruit and/or Dried Fruit depending the season
Honey Stinger Bars or Power Bars
Cashews or Peanuts
Starbucks Doubleshots
Chocolate (bars or raisins)
Water and Gatorade

On our winter trips we take the JetBoil for coffee, hot chocolate and cup of noodles to warm up.

We've taken dinner leftovers a few times: cold pizza and a cold burrito :p (didn't appeal to me too much).

We always manage to take plenty along and bring something back. Don't want to get bonked on the trail at the end of the day.

Donna:)

Anna LeBlanc
08-20-2010, 08:18 AM
We are pretty basic in our food stuffs-

Peanut butter and cheese crackers
Bananas
Small containers of pineapple and peaches in natural juices
Trail mix with dried fruit and chocolate
Water and Gatorade G2
Separate container of water for Nigel
Nigel's dog treats

KathyC
08-22-2010, 08:33 AM
There is a lot of good information in this thread, Thanks!!

mahony
08-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Always have Snickers Bars!!! Great source of Fat, Protein and Sugar....and a great reward for making the summit (or for not dying along the trail).