PDA

View Full Version : TR for Mount Jackson and Mount Webster 08-07-10

KSearl
08-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Hi Everyone,

Jill and I hiked Mount Jackson and Mount Webster this past weekend, as my earlier posts with regards to trail conditions suggested. Everyone who posted the comments regarding the brooks most likely draining out, was absolutely correct. The Flume Cascade Brook was a trickle of water.

Date: 08-07-10
Start Time: 8:10am
Trail Route: Webster-Jackson Trail - Jackson Branch - Webster Cliff Trail - Webster Branch - Webster-Jackson Trail (6.5 miles per Map Adventures WMNF, 4th Ed.)
Temp: 58-62 degrees
Weather: Sunny and Beautiful

The trail was pretty dry at the bottom and our pace was pretty fast moving to the split. Once on the Jackson Branch, it was a bit steeper and a bit more wet with standing water in the trail. I can't even explain how green and mossy the forest was on this portion of the trail. It was amazing and quite a site.

The summit of Jackson was great and the views of the Presidentials are the best I have ever seen. There was cold westerly wind on the summit, but nothing a sweatshirt didn't break. I also had a bit of fun with Gray Jays, since I have never seen them before.

The trip over to Webster, via the Webster Cliff Trail was a bit boring and flat, with no views. Webster was very nice with great views of the Notch. The Webster Branch trail descending was pretty tough due to some steep sections, and made us pretty tired after hiking the two peaks.

I've written this report up with a bit more detail at my blog. If you'd like read more about it, please feel free to visit. I have also posted some pics below.

My Blog: Mt. Jackson and Mt. Webster...We Came Back!!! (http://livefreeandhikenh.blogspot.com/2010/08/mt-jackson-and-mt-websterwe-came-back.html)

91991891792092192292392492591991891792092192292392 4925

KSearl
08-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Okay, so I tried to insert images and had a really hard time. Somehow I attached them as thumbnails, but then couldn't remove them and ended up adding them twice. What I wanted to do, was insert the pics into the body of the text, like all the other TR's. Sorry for this. Any help on how to do this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Karl

Snow Miser
08-12-2010, 09:05 AM
Karl, Nice TR! A better way to plug the photos into a TR is to insert the URL of the photo that's hosted on a site like Flickr. Or there are many others to choose from. Many are free for limited photo uploads, or they charge a small yearly fee for unlimited hosting. I believe there are some very easy instructions in the forums help section on how to do this.

KSearl
08-12-2010, 09:33 AM
Bob,

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense. I now recall that I have seen a lot of people have albums on Flickr...maybe I will investigate this possibility today. Hopefully, this one isn't too much of a pain since you have to click on each picture (and then there is the redundant set). I'll try to embed the larger size pictures from a URL next time.

Thanks,
Karl

Snow Miser
08-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Bob,

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense. I now recall that I have seen a lot of people have albums on Flickr...maybe I will investigate this possibility today. Hopefully, this one isn't too much of a pain since you have to click on each picture (and then there is the redundant set). I'll try to embed the larger size pictures from a URL next time.

Thanks,
Karl

Good luck! It's very easy after a couple of times. If you have the photos in your FB albums, you can probably use those links to insert in your TR. Just make sure it's the link for the photo only, not the webpage that it's viewed in. And often times you can choose among a few different size photos, medium usually looks best in the TRs. Let us know if you need any help.

Jimmy Legs and Little d
08-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Karl,
It was good to see that you and your wife completed this hike. Jackson was also one of our first 4000 footers many years ago. The gray jays are always a lot of fun and it doesn't take much to entice them to come to you.
Also, we just discovered your blog a few weeks ago (listed on Tom and Atticus' blog) and enjoy reading your posts! Keep up the good work.

Donna:D

KSearl
08-16-2010, 09:51 AM
Hi Donna,

Thanks very much for the kind words. I know, the gray jays were a lot of fun, but I have certainly read in other forums and articles that it is because of people like me, that they harass hikers so much...so I will do my best to refrain from feeding them in the future.

Thanks very much on the reading my blog. I just started it a few months ago and I am having a blast with it. It's a lot of fun. I've been reading Tom and Atticus for a very long time (great blog) as well as Jim Salge's now for a few months. Really, I was inspired by those two blogs, to start my own.

Thanks again!
Karl

Brad
08-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Karl, Nice TR! A better way to plug the photos into a TR is to insert the URL of the photo that's hosted on a site like Flickr. Or there are many others to choose from. Many are free for limited photo uploads, or they charge a small yearly fee for unlimited hosting. I believe there are some very easy instructions in the forums help section on how to do this.
I have used www.fotki.com for years. That is where my personal photos are hosted and where we have the MWO web camera image archive set up. They used to charge $45 a year for the service. Then it was on special for $30. The last special I grabbed was $15 a year. Unlimited storage and the types of services I need - can assign an email address to albums - can FTP to albums - can created folders and albums - and move them around easily. So, the MWO image archive is an automatic process to FTP to the photo site. My personal web cameras send directly from the cameras to my personal site.

To put an image here in a post you copy and paste the URL for the .JPG file on the hosting site - and add in front and add at the end - with no spaces. On Fotki they have a "Share" button under each image. I use the first of the options to paste an image here. Click on the URL and they copy it for you to your clipboard ready to be pasted here.

http://images116.fotki.com/v715/photos/5/8235/8955728/IMG_2516_7_8f-vi.jpg

And with no spaces =

http://images116.fotki.com/v715/photos/5/8235/8955728/IMG_2516_7_8f-vi.jpg