PDA

View Full Version : Snow!

KD Talbot
02-13-2007, 08:21 PM
C'mon! No chatter about New England finally getting a significant snowfall? Or are we jaded and waiting to see if the weathermen got it right this time? I for one hope we get buried! The brown and gray landscape is just too depressing. What is more wonderful than snow?

"I am younger each year at the first snow. When I see it, suddenly, in the air, all little and white and moving: then I am in love again and very young and I believe everything."

- Anne Sexton

KDT

Brad
02-13-2007, 08:44 PM
They keep on saying it is coming. We had to replace the controller for the driveway heat system. And all winter we have been trying to get the settings adjusted right - but, no snow to do the testing. This will be the first time all winter with any real snow. Might be a slow melt if we do not have things right.

Bill O
02-13-2007, 09:11 PM
There's a raging virga storm going on at my place in CT right now. The atmosphere is so dry nothing is reaching the ground yet. Looks like it is going to change to rain tomorrow for my location, but I'm not ruling a significant ice storm.

VT looks to get hammered, 1 to 2 feet at my place up there. Hopefully more.

As for Mount Washington...who knows. Nor'easters tend to slip right under the mountain.

Bill O
02-14-2007, 07:13 AM
There's talk of 3'+ in some sections of Vermont. Which means locally over 40".

Watch out for the National Weather Service website in the northeast. They were completely overloaded yesterday, and now their digital forecasts aren't updating. Most forecasts are from Tuesday.

Brad
02-14-2007, 07:36 AM
7:30AM in western Maine and we have 2-3 inches of snow. It is coming down as very fine flakes. Temperature is about 9 degrees and not much wind.

Bill O
02-14-2007, 07:46 AM
In CT we have a coating of snow, sleet, and ice. Temps are still in the low 20's and I'm expecting several hours of freezing rain before we go briefly to all rain.

The story in VT looks much better. I'm looking forward to watching the webcam change throughout the day.

Brad
02-14-2007, 08:22 AM
Here is a picture from the house looking out to the lake.

http://images19.fotki.com/v292/photos/8/8235/242566/Woodrising220070214-vi.jpg

Here is a view of the driveway with the road going across up the driveway.

http://images22.fotki.com/v519/photos/8/8235/242566/Woodrising420070214-vi.jpg

billysinc
02-14-2007, 08:31 AM
We're going hiking in the Whites on Friday, can't wait to try my new snow shoes.:)

Bill O
02-14-2007, 08:47 AM
The summit recorded 2.9" of snow this morning. Should be exciting to see how this storm plays out up there.

Bill O
02-14-2007, 01:10 PM
Another 4.8" in the past six hours. That brings the storm total to 7.7" with much more to come.

That doesn't sound like much, but for the summit its fairly heavy snow. Especially for a nor'easter which often leave the observers disappointed.

Bill O
02-14-2007, 02:21 PM
SN+ in Sudbury, VT:

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/5826/snapshotjpegxg0.jpg

KD Talbot
02-14-2007, 06:51 PM
That photo is pretty much what I saw all day between my work in Andover, Mass. and home in Kingston, NH. I spent pretty much all day outside clearing walkways, using the snowblower to clear what the plow couldn't in the parking lots, running a few trucks back and forth to the shop for better tires, etc. When I got home I did it all over again. It was awesome outside! Everyone else I work with thinks I'm nuts. I'd say we got about a foot. Hard to tell because it blew and drifted all day. The snow was granular and very compact. Never did turn to rain as they kept saying it would along the seacoast. It never got over 20 degrees! Tough to turn to rain at that temp!
KDT

AlpineHikerFan71
02-14-2007, 09:18 PM
Well for my first snow as a New englander, a little dissapointed but the way this winter has been I will take the 8.3 inches of snow and sleet. the way my snow blower was acting you thought I was trying to cut through 3 feet of snow, Just having some wrap around now. Those 850 MB levels were all over the place today. But still happy:)

Bill O
02-15-2007, 07:46 AM
Sorry, but the mountains, and even the valleys in Vermont are the winners in this storm.

Stowe currently has an avalanche warning for their backcountry. They are reporting 3-4' in the past 24 hous. Jay Peak is reporting close to 60" but they admit some drifting in that total.

Bill O
02-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Burlington, VT set their 24 hour record with this storm. 2nd biggest snowstorm all time, biggest February storm.

There is also an unprecedented avalanche advisory for the mountains of VT:

...RISK FOR AVALANCHES IN THE NORTH COUNTRY...

YESTERDAYS RECORD SNOWFALL HAS CREATED THE POTENTIAL FOR
AVALANCHES IN THE BACK COUNTRY OF THE GREEN MOUNTAINS IN VERMONT
AND THE ADIRONDACKS IN NORTHERN NEW YORK...ACCORDING TO STOWE
MOUNTAIN RESCUE OFFICIALS. OUTDOOR ENTHUSIASTS HEADING INTO THE
BACK COUNTRY THROUGH THE WEEKEND NEED TO BE AWARE OF THE AVALANCHE
DANGER...AND RISKS INVOLVED. STEEP...OPEN SLOPES WILL HAVE THE
HIGHEST AVALANCHE RISK.

THE CONDITIONS CREATING THE AVALANCHE POTENTIAL WILL CONTINUE INTO
EARLY NEXT WEEK.

IF YOU GO INTO THE ADIRONDACKS OR GREEN MOUNTAINS TO SNOWSHOE...
SKI...OR ICE CLIMB...BE AWARE OF THE AVALANCHE DANGER...AND TAKE
APPROPRIATE PRECAUTIONS.

AlpineHikerFan71
02-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Burlington, VT set their 24 hour record with this storm. 2nd biggest snowstorm all time, biggest February storm.

There is also an unprecedented avalanche advisory for the mountains of VT:

...RISK FOR AVALANCHES IN THE NORTH COUNTRY...

YESTERDAYS RECORD SNOWFALL HAS CREATED THE POTENTIAL FOR
AVALANCHES IN THE BACK COUNTRY OF THE GREEN MOUNTAINS IN VERMONT
AND THE ADIRONDACKS IN NORTHERN NEW YORK...ACCORDING TO STOWE
MOUNTAIN RESCUE OFFICIALS. OUTDOOR ENTHUSIASTS HEADING INTO THE
BACK COUNTRY THROUGH THE WEEKEND NEED TO BE AWARE OF THE AVALANCHE
DANGER...AND RISKS INVOLVED. STEEP...OPEN SLOPES WILL HAVE THE
HIGHEST AVALANCHE RISK.

THE CONDITIONS CREATING THE AVALANCHE POTENTIAL WILL CONTINUE INTO
EARLY NEXT WEEK.

IF YOU GO INTO THE ADIRONDACKS OR GREEN MOUNTAINS TO SNOWSHOE...
SKI...OR ICE CLIMB...BE AWARE OF THE AVALANCHE DANGER...AND TAKE
APPROPRIATE PRECAUTIONS.

Bill,
that is some incredible snowfall up there. they even had a mini avalanche yesterday in the Pocono Mtns on Rt 209 area. but they only received 10-14 inches of snow there but helluva mess on the I 78 and 81, Natl Guard was brought out to help

Bill O
02-17-2007, 08:54 PM
I can personally attest to a weak snow layer from the latest storm that is driving the current avalanche statement in VT.

I was snowshoeing across farm fields when I heard a distant explosion. I stopped with no guess at what made that noise. I kept moving and heard it again and again. I finally realized it wasn't a distant explosion, but the snow collapsing under my feet. I was hearing the dreaded "whoomp" they teach you about in avalanche classes. All my years skiing in the Wasatch backcountry and I never heard a sound like this.

It wasn't just the snow at my feet that was collapsing, the weak layer was failing in a large radius from my tracks, maybe 20 to 50 feet. Occasionally I could see the snow collapsing and crack lines in the snow.