PDA

View Full Version : Technology Leads More Park Visitors into Trouble

spyboy
08-22-2010, 03:53 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/22/science/earth/22parks.html

And last fall, a group of hikers in the canyon called in rescue helicopters three times by pressing the emergency button on their satellite location device. When rangers arrived the second time, the hikers explained that their water supply ?tasted salty.?

Charlie
08-22-2010, 08:30 PM
thats a good story and how funny and dumb people are

Brad
08-23-2010, 07:04 AM
Send them a bill is my view.

MOAB149
08-23-2010, 07:05 AM
I hope they were billed accordingly.

Snow Miser
08-23-2010, 07:46 AM
Some people? :rolleyes:

Brad
08-23-2010, 07:58 AM
We drove 3 young "ladies" down off Mt Washington the other day. They had hiked up. No water - no food - no extra clothes - no rain gear - no money. No clue. They were supposed to meet a parent back at PNVC at 4pm. They were smart enough to know they could not make it down. I know - there is no bumming a ride on the Auto Road. But, these 3 were toast and they needed to get off the mountain.

They had no idea what they were getting into when they started up the trail. There needs to be a toll gate at the bottom of the trail. Answer a set of questions right and the gate opens. Have no idea what you are doing and the sign says to go home. :-)

mtruman
08-23-2010, 08:19 AM
The stories like this never cease to amaze me. Not only can people be so dumb, but so arrogant in thinking that rescue services are there to provide whatever they need for any reason. I agree - bill them!! Brad - what you did for those 3 young ladies was very nice. They would most likely have been fine (although pretty unhappy and with very upset parents) but they presumably learned a lesson. Sure would be nice if the kind of "gate" you suggested was actually possible. I don't advocate anything like that for real (permits, tests, etc) as it just wouldn't be practical - however some sort of education program wouldn't hurt. Very fine line here...

Gorque
08-23-2010, 08:30 AM
There needs to be a toll gate at the bottom of the trail. Answer a set of questions right and the gate opens. Have no idea what you are doing and the sign says to go home. :-) Sort of like this? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWS8Mg-JWSg

Brad
08-23-2010, 08:59 AM
My post was certainly tongue in cheek - but it would sure help. I agree we do not want more regulations. But a selfserve sanity meter would be nice.

Mark, I am not sure these 3 would have gotten down without someone having to help on a trail which would have been a lot worse. I do hope they learned something and warn everyone back home in NYC

Snow Miser
08-23-2010, 11:43 AM
Brad, that was a very nice thing you did for them. Did they say if they came up the Tuckerman Ravine Trail? If they did, it's clearly posted a few times I believe what dangers may lie ahead. Although, I know that many people do not read signs these days, whether on the trail or on the road. I'm sure they were very grateful for your help.

Brad
08-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Yes, they went up Tuckerman Ravine trail to the summit. It was a good thing they had a pretty good day. They had no wind breakers or rain gear. It could have gotten very nasty for them and they were not in any shape to take any steps going down.

Charlie
08-23-2010, 09:09 PM
im glad you helped and im sure you gave them some advice all the way down

mahony
08-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Brad, very kind of you to help them out. I'm sure that there are many people who manage to get down the mountain and still don't realize how close they were to having a major problem.

When I took drivers ed. as a kid we watched a movie called the Final Factor. The basic premise is that accidents are caused by a stacking of factors and many, many times we are driving around with enough stacked factors and only the final factor remains.....the one that causes the accident. How many MW hikers have stacked factors against themselves (t-shirts, no water, cotton etc.) and only miss the Final Factor by the grace of God or luck. Gates, signs, bridge trolls, permits, classes, and trail quizzes won't help; people will get themselves in trouble regardless...glad you were ther to bail them out (and to recognize that they had a problem in the first place).

Knapper
08-24-2010, 11:16 PM
Similar story was on NBC Nightly News with footage of the Touron getting chased by the buffalo that was also in the NY Times piece. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/38840373#38840373

hague8
08-25-2010, 08:06 PM
About 35 years ago an acquantance invited me on a hike up Mt Washington. A real last minute thing. The plan was to go half way up as a tuneup for him to run the road in a few weeks. I had no clue. I had done a few hikes in my teens. Also had hiked Tuckermans in the spring coming off a 3 day party to watch the skiers. No problem. So up we go me in new Nike sneakers (not the nice ones they make today) shorts t shirt no pack no nothing although my friend had a few snacks and a sweater. We headed up the Jewell trail well after noon. And we flew. The halfway hike turned into a summit hike done in about 2 hours and 20 minutes according to my older but not wiser friend. It was 93 at the bottom and starting to snow at the top. And I was spent. I think my friend duked one of the Cog guys and we rode down. Another close call in my foolish youth. I just started hiking again a couple of years back. Try to carry appropriate items etc. Jeeze what an idiot!

Charlie
08-25-2010, 08:45 PM
when i was taking SAR classes they had a film of mom,dad ,2 little kids and a dog hiking .the kids were talking the parents to hike to the next hill that looked close but was over 3 miles away . so off they went it was sunny and nice ,well the weather turned and they did not have any thing with them . the person talking in the film said a search team found them the next day and they were found dead of hypothermia but the dog survived
i wish i could find this short clip so they could play it for the people that need it before they head out

BAXTERCA2
08-25-2010, 09:12 PM
Similar story was on NBC Nightly News with footage of the Touron getting chased by the buffalo that was also in the NY Times piece. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/38840373#38840373

Saw that piece last night too. Love the Griswold's movie clip.

Snow Miser
08-25-2010, 09:14 PM
About 35 years ago an acquantance invited me on a hike up Mt Washington. A real last minute thing. The plan was to go half way up as a tuneup for him to run the road in a few weeks. I had no clue. I had done a few hikes in my teens. Also had hiked Tuckermans in the spring coming off a 3 day party to watch the skiers. No problem. So up we go me in new Nike sneakers (not the nice ones they make today) shorts t shirt no pack no nothing although my friend had a few snacks and a sweater. We headed up the Jewell trail well after noon. And we flew. The halfway hike turned into a summit hike done in about 2 hours and 20 minutes according to my older but not wiser friend. It was 93 at the bottom and starting to snow at the top. And I was spent. I think my friend duked one of the Cog guys and we rode down. Another close call in my foolish youth. I just started hiking again a couple of years back. Try to carry appropriate items etc. Jeeze what an idiot!

We all did stupid, crazy things when we were teens. Fortunately, we're among the lucky ones still here to talk about them.