PDA

View Full Version : Nine miles in November?

ow2010
09-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Hey guys,

I'm going to be back in the White Mountains in November and I'm looking to bag a four-thousand footer or two. I've been looking into the Kinsmans and I'm considering Lonesome Lake Trail to Fishin' Jimmy Trail to South Kinsman and back. I've done a lot of summer hiking in the Whites and I know that wouldn't be too much in summer, but I'm not sure about late November. Any advice/personal experience with similar hikes?

mtruman
09-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Late November can bring a variety of conditions in the Whites. We hiked Mt Avalon a few years ago on the last weekend in October and had snow from about 2500' up with nearly a foot at the summit. Last year we did Moosilauke on Nov 2nd and had warm sunny skies, no wind - the perfect day (better than many in summer). So.... watch the forecasts before your hike, be prepared and enjoy the best season of all!

mahony
09-04-2010, 11:30 PM
You never know what the conditions will be, but the Southern Whites especially the ones with a southern exposure will likely be snow free. Whiteface up the Blueberry Ledge Trail is a southerly exposure, Osceola from Tripoli rd is also South exposed. The rockpile was mostly snow free last November, but you can't count on that.