PDA

View Full Version : Trekking Poles Opinions

hague8
09-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Hello everyone. I have been using old ski poles or a good stick but I am ready to buy up. I am especially interested in hearing from people that have used both regular and anti shock type. Thanks!

Snow Miser
09-12-2010, 08:14 PM
For a couple of years now, I have been using a pair of Eddie Bauer anti-shock poles that I bought at Target for $20 or $30. They have held up nicely, and have been up and down many mountains. One thing's for sure, I wouldn't do a moderate to difficult hike without them. They help save the knees, and have prevented falls quite a few times.

Anna LeBlanc
09-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Hiking with our dog Nigel and holding on to his leash I can only use one pole,which is of the anti-shock variety but it has definitely been a big help especially on descent.

Charlie
09-12-2010, 09:55 PM
i use the anti shock and would not hike with out them going up and more for going down
the ones i have 3 sections so they close up nice and small to strap to my pack when i dont need them

KSearl
09-13-2010, 08:57 AM
Hi there,

My wife and I have been using Leki Thermolite Antishock poles for a year now. They collapse nicely and are very light, which is great. The one thing I love about them is they have a concave, carbide tip, which grips even the smoothest of rocks. They have never slipped on me when I need to brace them. I did have a minor issue with the inner shafts corroding after using them in a rain storm. However, I found this was due to my lack of maintenance of them. They easily disassemble, and I should have pulled them apart to let them dry properly. Leki customer service replaced all the parts at no charge and gave me a lesson on how to maintain them properly. I've heard that they are really good with customer satisfaction. I was certainly satisfied.

Here's exactly what I have: http://www.leki.com/trekking/trekkingPole.php?pID=35

Thanks,
Karl

BlueDog
09-13-2010, 09:05 AM
I've tried several different ones and finally settled on a pair of Black Diamond poles that I really like. They are the carbon fiber poles with the flip latches, so they are super light and stay put on the adjustment.

One previous set had the anti-shock feature and I don't really miss it with these. I also had numerous problems with the Leki style twist locks. Enough so that I wouldn't buy another pole like that again. The flip latch on the BD are solid, fewer moving parts and just works. However, I'll admit that there are people that swear by the other style, but they aren't for me.

Brad
09-13-2010, 07:59 PM
I use the REI Hiker light poles - with anti-shock. The thing I like about them is they are extremely light and the top ball unscrews to become a camera mono-pod.

Jimmy Legs and Little d
09-14-2010, 07:35 PM
We've been using Leki Makula's for 20 years now. Features also include the carbide tip, anti-shock system, 3 part-twisting collapsible system and interchanging baskets (great for hiking in the snow). The poles have saved a lot of wear and tear on our knees over the years.

Donna:)

mtruman
09-14-2010, 09:43 PM
We have two pair of REI Shocklight Ascent poles that are now in year 4. I had to replace the expanders on one set and the carbide tips are pretty well worn but overall they've held up great over a lot of miles. Personally I don't care for the anti-shock system and would rather that they stay locked out. While these do have the lock out feature they tend to keep switching themselves back to anti-shock mode. Not a big deal.

Like Donna said, the switchable baskets for winter are good to have (we just leave the summer ones off). One thing to consider is what kind of grips are comfortable for you. There are lots of shapes and materials (foam, hard plastic, rubber, cork) and it's worth checking them all out and seeing what feels good. Make sure that they have nice wide straps with good padding as well or your wrists can get pretty irritated.

Finally, if I were buying new poles now I think I'd go with one of the models with the flip type locking system rather than the twist type. Seems more secure and less likely to either jam or worse, slip at the wrong time.

One thing is for sure, pole are going to make things a whole lot easier on your knees. I don't think I could do many of the hikes we've done without them.

hague8
09-14-2010, 10:15 PM
Great responses. Lekis and REI seem to get 2 thumbs up. I have talked to people that like Black diamond. I will look for the flip type and THANKS! for the heads up on drying them out.

hague8
09-19-2010, 09:59 PM
I ended up buying a pair of Colemans at Target for 29 dollars. So far so good for day hikes. So I have a story. My neighbor at Lake George NY, Bob, grew up in Queens, a real city boy. Real Big city boy. But he has been coming up here for years. He's hiked climbed hunted fished all over. He used to jog over the mt every weekend after a hard weeks work as a lineman(Con Ed) and a 5 hour drive. His kids were drug to the top of many mountains carrying blueberry buckets etc. The local old timers around here who have turned their hand at about everything named Bob "The Mountain Man". So Bob is in his 60's. Circulation and legs aren't what they used to be. He's exploring in a vehicle now, sometimes has to be towed off some old tote road but he's always exploring. When he gets out of the truck he uses a huge wood staff he made and can only go so far. Well tonight he tried out my trekking poles and took off like a race horse! An hour later he came by and said he did a loop around the campground for the first time in 3 years using 2 staffs. He was so excited he wants to try a hike. Stay tuned!

Brad
09-20-2010, 05:57 AM
Fantastic story. It is great to hear about him getting out and we can see his smile from here.