PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Barefoot Climb

HANDYMAN
09-28-2010, 12:15 AM
Made the summit Sunday with seven friends. Via the Caps Ridge, Cornice, Gulfside Trails. Did the Jewell last year. The colors are spectacular now. A must see if you can. I must say being kicked out of the gift shop for bare feet was disappointing. Would have loved a shirt. I am barefoot climber who's feet would truly hurt no one. All the way to the top of our New England World barefoot twice and still no shirt. The climb was Great!http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/photo.php?pid=1661842&fbid=1624990028508&id=1349240155

BAXTERCA2
09-28-2010, 11:35 PM
Perhaps you could just buy a shirt on-line...?

Rich
09-29-2010, 07:38 AM
bring something to put on when you get there.

Snow Miser
09-29-2010, 07:55 AM
Congrats on your second barefoot climb. That must be a challenge in barefeet! Just like Cody Lundin's adventures. :)

HANDYMAN
09-29-2010, 08:56 AM
The Guy's on the rock via facebook suggest I shop downstairs next time and will hook me up shoes or shoeless. I guess the shops are not one in the same. Thank you!. I thought about an on line purchase but it wouldn't be the same. It gives me a another good reason to come back sooner than later. As far as shoes, I do pack them with me. I may be crazy but I'm not crazy crazy. lol. I Love That Mountain. Thanks for the congrats Bob I have learned much about the Mountain through you and the people of this forum. See you all at the next seek the Peek. I shouldn't be hard to find. Now I need to become a member. As soon as I return today from this thing we call work.

Brad
09-30-2010, 07:32 AM
The summit of Mt Washington is a NH State Park and they have several things on the main floor of the building. But, once you pass the hiker registration desk and bathrooms one enters a "food area". They serve food and there are tables for people to eat. Therefore, NH State health laws apply - must have a shirt and shoes on. This applies especially since it is a State owned and run facility. So, if one wants to go in that area or get to the gift show on that floor by walking through that food area, they need to have something on their feet. If a small business owner who just got fined for allowing a customer to come in his food shop sees the State not abiding by its own laws, it would be a big stink.

The State does provide a "hiker area" downstairs. It is the stairs down on the left as you enter the building. One can change clothes there, leave your pack just like we do at Pinkham (for a short while) and there are bathrooms there. A barefoot hiker can come in and go directly downstairs - unpack some flip-flops - and then be able to wander through the food area.

TrishandAlex
09-30-2010, 08:21 AM
I love that you hike barefoot! My youngest daughter, Sage, would love to hike barefoot, but I don't let her. Mmmm, perhaps I should let her give it a go and carry shoes so she can put them on later if she wants to...

Brad
09-30-2010, 10:21 AM
Made the summit Sunday with seven friends. Via the Caps Ridge, Cornice, Gulfside Trails. Did the Jewell last year. The colors are spectacular now. A must see if you can. I must say being kicked out of the gift shop for bare feet was disappointing. Would have loved a shirt. I am barefoot climber who's feet would truly hurt no one. All the way to the top of our New England World barefoot twice and still no shirt. The climb was Great!http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/photo.php?pid=1661842&fbid=1624990028508&id=1349240155
Please check your Facebook messages as I left one for you.

BlueDog
09-30-2010, 11:52 AM
You could have picked up a t-shirt in the old wooden obs building. (The one with the chains.) Wouldn't have to pass through a "health code" area as brad mentioned.

Brad
10-04-2010, 08:51 PM
The Guy's on the rock via facebook suggest I shop downstairs next time and will hook me up shoes or shoeless. I guess the shops are not one in the same. Thank you!. I thought about an on line purchase but it wouldn't be the same. It gives me a another good reason to come back sooner than later. As far as shoes, I do pack them with me. I may be crazy but I'm not crazy crazy. lol. I Love That Mountain. Thanks for the congrats Bob I have learned much about the Mountain through you and the people of this forum. See you all at the next seek the Peek. I shouldn't be hard to find. Now I need to become a member. As soon as I return today from this thing we call work.
You bring up a good point that makes sense to document here. The gift shop on the main level of the summit building is State of NH run. Downstairs in that same building is the Mt Washington Observatory Museum and Gift Shop. This gift shop is run by the Observatory and members get a discount in this store. There are several items that are different in the two stores. But, the one downstairs is the one we are all associated with.

It would be great to have you join us next year for Seek the Peak - and hope you are able to take your passion for the mountain and get to the $1,000 level to get a highly coveted fleece jacket. And we do hope you will join the Observatory as a member. That is another great way to help. The forum folk have been trying to move to a higher level of membership "each year" if we can. We get a lot of satisfaction out of being members, participating on these forum, watching the web cameras daily, and having the ability to interact directly with the Observers and staff.

HANDYMAN
10-05-2010, 12:46 AM
Today I am still not a member but have started to send money to the MWOBS via my ebay account Goingonce-twice with giving works. 10% of all sales now go to the Top of the Rock. My way of saying thanks to that Beautiful Mountain.

BlueDog
10-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Excellent post Brad! After years of walking to the top of the pile, I never realized the difference between the two shops.

I also extend the invitation to our barefooted friend to join us for STP11! Get to the $1,000 mark and you'll take home the most coveted souvenir that you can't purchase in ANY gift shop. :)

Bill O
10-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Tell them being barefoot is your religion, nobody can stop you then. At any given point on a busy day I'm sure that somebody is in the process of being shoeless within the cafeteria.

Have you ever seen "Dual Survival" on Discovery? That guy has been barefoot since the mid 80's.

mahony
10-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Without getting too political...the whole barefoot thing is just hipocrisy. You can go in with flip flops that are little more than a sticker on the sole of your foot and your good, but not barefoot! You can walk in with mudddy boots, Moose Poop jammed into the deep soles or soaked in Giardia infested beaver pond water, but don't you dare come in with naked feet. If you put on a sock made of deerskin shaped like a foot and painted the color of human skin you are OK. If you wear plastic wrap on your feet your OK, but don't think barefoot. I guess I'm just missing the whole health hazard thing....nothing grosser than a hiker (esp barefoot).

HANDYMAN
10-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Until your post Snow Miser I did not know of Cody Lundin. A quick google and there he is. Making a living barefoot. Only in America. Now I have to see his show. Maybe we can climb together some day.

Heading back up the mountain next week. One more climb before winter sets in.

I for one have never understood the no shirts no shoes no service policies. Why are people so afraid of skin when shoes track in so much more?

Snow Miser
10-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Until your post Snow Miser I did not know of Cody Lundin. A quick google and there he is. Making a living barefoot. Only in America. Now I have to see his show. Maybe we can climb together some day.

Heading back up the mountain next week. One more climb before winter sets in.

I for one have never understood the no shirts no shoes no service policies. Why are people so afraid of skin when shoes track in so much more?

You will love his show! I try to watch all of them. I always wear shoes or boots, but more power to you and him. And like you said, only in America can someone like him make money off of it.

A climb sometime would be cool.