PDA

View Full Version : Winter hikes?

Addicted
09-29-2010, 08:26 AM
Looking for recommendation for good winter 4000 footers. I did Jackson, Pierce and Tom last year, and am starting to plan for my winter. I know that a lot of them are not accessible in the winter months, so if anyone knows of any good ones that I can actually get to without adding 3 miles of road walking to me trip, that would be great. Have snowshoes and microspikes, but no desire to go where I might need an ice ax or more than that, so I know which ones that rules out. I am doing Field and Willey as a fall hike, although I think those would both be great. Looking to add to the list, not repeat (although I'm sure we'll do Jackson and Pierce again). I heard that maybe Passaconaway or Whiteface would be a good winter hike (not sure which one I heard about). Any thoughts you'd like to share would be appreciated! I know it's early, but it'll be here before we know it!

spaull
09-29-2010, 03:17 PM
A hike where you are not exposed most of the way then get a great view is Garfield. I have done it in the winter and just recently in Sept. You do have a fairly long flat for 2-3 miles and then moderate switch backs for 2-3 before you summit at about 5 miles and 4500'. Steep really only at the end, the last .2 to the peak. also has the foundation at the top for protection. But...I don't know if the loop rd that takes you to the trail head is open yr around, it has been a while since I have gone up in the winter. If not I know that the Garfield trailhead is closer to the first right hand turn off of route 3 just before Galehead River.

Addicted
09-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Garfield is the one I left for this year, so maybe I'll make it a winter one! We were planning to do it as a fall hike, but maybe I'll put it off till Nov or Dec. I'll probably end up doing a couple of them this winter, weather permitting. Doesn't sound like it'll be a great (snow filled) winter, but I'm sure there will be snow up there! Thanks for the tip.

TrishandAlex
09-30-2010, 08:23 AM
They're all accessible during the winter, you just have to do some road walking for quite a few, since some roads are closed.

Cannon's another good one. You can even go to the summit building on the top and take a break in a heated room, drinnk some hot chocolate, etc.

smithtim
10-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Mt. Flume is one of my favorite winter hikes as it is a little challenging with some slopes near 40 degrees but rarley crowded like some of the others. Also, it has easy / direct access from I-93..... Just want to make sure you keep an eye on snow pak situations as you can't really retreat / descend the slide ( unless you belay) & also get an early start as the standard loop of up Flume slide & down Liberty can take easily 10 hours.

Not sure if Flume classifies as "ice axe territory," but I did use crampons when climbed last spring ( I'm very conservative and often put crampons on way early just to get practice as I don't climb that much living in FL) , however the group in front of me were bare booted.

Also if you want something a little less steep there are a few other nice hikes from that same access point ( Franconia SP of I-93) such as Falling Waters up & back, Liberty up & back..... I really like the views from the top of Liberty and the Liberty Springs trail was no problem

best of luck,Tim