PDA

View Full Version : A Fall Foliage Finale as Viewed from Frankenstein Cliff (13-Oct-2010)

1HappyHiker
10-18-2010, 02:38 PM
This past Wednesday (13-October), I did the short trek up to Frankenstein Cliff in the Crawford Notch. I witnessed a colorful display which perhaps was the fall foliage finale for the 2010 season (at least for most locations up here "above the notches"). As a result of the recent rain and gusty wind, many of the colorful leaves seen in the photo below have fallen from the tree branches and now rest on the forest floor, soon to be covered with a white blanket of snow.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_jMddpAdzX0E/TLnVCkfckRI/AAAAAAAAICY/iUtUBfyzghw/s800/P1070634.JPG

While I was there on Frankenstein Cliff, I bushwhacked a few hundred feet behind the cliffs in order to try to get a view up the Dry River Valley toward Mt. Washington. I managed to get a view which would've been pretty nice if it had not been for a big white tree that sort of blemished the vista.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_jMddpAdzX0E/TLnVEwEpUBI/AAAAAAAAICc/yumMYFru9Dk/s800/P1070645.JPG

KathyC
10-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Just beautiful John, you captured the mix of color perfectly. The aumtumn is my favorite, sad that it is so short.
I like the tree, it make the photo unique...:)

Snow Miser
10-18-2010, 04:17 PM
I agree, beautiful pictures John! Even though most of the leaves have fallen, there's still some nice color to the landscape.

KSearl
10-18-2010, 09:21 PM
John - Incredible Pictures!!! Beautiful colors. Thanks so much for sharing. Love see stuff like this!

Karl

Jimmy Legs and Little d
10-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Absolutely gorgeous, John. It was a spectacular foilage season this fall with winter arriving early once again.

Donna:)

mtruman
10-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Your title says it all. And you got it! (as usual) Great stuff John.

Anna LeBlanc
10-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Beautiful Fall pictures John!Looking forward to your Winter bushwhacking ones to come.

1HappyHiker
10-20-2010, 09:23 PM
Kathy; Bob; Karl; Donna; Mark; Anna: This is just a short note, but it contains a BIG thank you to each of you for your generous comments.

forestgnome
10-23-2010, 09:23 PM
saweeeeeet! John, very nice! You're killin' me if these were taken with a point'n'shoot camera. ;) Thanks for posting awesome stuff!

1HappyHiker
10-24-2010, 06:00 PM
saweeeeeet! John, very nice! You're killin' me if these were taken with a point'n'shoot camera. ;) Thanks for posting awesome stuff!
Well, with the greatest humility, I must say that all my photos within the past year have been taken with my "point & shoot" camera (Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1).
It seems to do a good job for the type of photos that I take.

To get the type of photos that you take Patrick, then I'd need to graduate to a "real" camera. And even with a "real" camera, it would take years for me to reach your skill level. Just because I can drive a passenger car around town, doesn't mean I could drive a race car in the Indy 500!:)