PDA

View Full Version : A 9 year old on Everest?

MelNino
11-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Ok, I did think the 13 year old could do it....but a 9 year old? Didn't Jordan have more experience?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/11/10/boy.everest.climb/index.html?hpt=Sbin

BlueDog
11-10-2010, 11:45 AM
I thought about this the other day when I was reading it on an Everest blog.

IMHO, I think that the 9 year old, being the son of a Nepalese Sherpa, is much more genetically disposed for such conditions that Jordan is. He's also born into a culture that has more experience with this mountain than any other.

When Jordan first announced he was going to do Everest, my thoughts were that it MUST be harmful to such a young developing brain. However, after discussions with a close friend that work in the medical field, she pointed out to me that a younger brain is much more resilient and able to repair/adapt to any damage than our old gray mellons. So, if anything, we should be more worried about the folks trying for the "oldest climber" records.

MelNino
11-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Good point, his being a Sherpa is definitely a plus. I hope he gets another peak or two before going to the Big E.

Rich
11-11-2010, 07:52 AM
My bet is he'll be fine and probably will run up the mountain. He practically lives at altitude already. Like Bluedog said, his brain is still developing and will develop out of any damage done. Good luck, buddy!

aloegel
12-01-2010, 11:38 PM
9 years of adaptation must be long enough :)

Brad
12-02-2010, 09:06 AM
I thought about this the other day when I was reading it on an Everest blog.

IMHO, I think that the 9 year old, being the son of a Nepalese Sherpa, is much more genetically disposed for such conditions that Jordan is. He's also born into a culture that has more experience with this mountain than any other.

When Jordan first announced he was going to do Everest, my thoughts were that it MUST be harmful to such a young developing brain. However, after discussions with a close friend that work in the medical field, she pointed out to me that a younger brain is much more resilient and able to repair/adapt to any damage than our old gray mellons. So, if anything, we should be more worried about the folks trying for the "oldest climber" records.
So, I guess I should call off my attempt.

TheZman1
12-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Growing up at that altitude and climate his body at 9 years old is probably better conditioned for the climb that most 20 year old men. I think it will be like a "walk in the park" for him.

BlueDog
12-02-2010, 09:52 AM
So, I guess I should call off my attempt.

But then you'll miss out on the never-to-be-outdone photo op for the "Where has your STP fleece been?" thread!

climatestudentuk
12-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Good on him, but I'm sure there are many more sherpas who have done this but it hasnt made it to press?

JohnStain
12-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I agree with BlueDog. People living there are genetically adapt to the weather conditions there so it is easier for them to stay warmer etc.

But still pretty incredible though.

davecanillo
12-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Its really amazing I cannot imagine how he did survive. Living in such same condition since birth might be the reason.

laozi
12-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Wow, really impressive! Those guys are really tailored for such a climate, and are hardy as mountain goats! :-) It's amazing how the body will adapt to the environment after generations of living in one place. Wonder how many generations it might take? Hmm...

Steve Oliver
12-17-2010, 10:40 PM
I think the human body adapts to different conditions but it takes time. My father was brought up in the tropics where it was very humid but now he cannot stand the humidity after spending 40 years in a colder climate.

Same with this 9 year old - he has probably lived in colder climates since birth and the body has adapted to the point it will allow him to do this.

davidvincent
12-21-2010, 10:04 PM
Another exceptional proof of how amazing a human body can be. Although genetics could highly be an important factor here, its still amazing just to think how a young human body could adapt so quickly to such a challenging climate.

MRidge
01-09-2011, 11:10 AM
They may be better adapted to doing this but it's still a great achievement - after all this is just a kid!