PDA

View Full Version : Looking to see how the tuckermans ravine trail and lions head trail are!!

vettechjamie
11-16-2010, 11:17 PM
Hello a friend and I are planing on hiking to the summit of mt wash on either sat or sunday 11/20-11/21. I have not climbed mt washington befor and was curious how the trails are during this time of the year. Any information will be helpful including gear for this time of the year. I have insulated boots and clothing. I have a backpack with 2 liter bladder, and trecking poles. Plenty of food. Cell phone with 2 spare batteries, compass, matches, space blanket, whistle. My cell phone has a gps tracking app. and I have a printed topographic map.

If anyone can recommend any additional gear please let me know.

Jamie

smithtim
11-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Jamie, for the higher elevations I would expect varying snow conditions probably not that deep, but I would absolutely bring at minimum an ice axe & crampons.....I'm down in Florida until mid December so I've haven't been on the trail recently, but from prior history I would guesstimate the snow level near 4000' maybe lower

stay safe out there & best of luck for a fun climb, Tim

p.s. probably reinventing a wheel here but:
hiking this time of year very much depends on the weather the day of your climb! It could be nice 40ish degrees, but then again could be negative degrees with wind chill.... so look into all that for the days leading up & plan accordingly.
Here are a couple of links to monitor http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/forecast.php AND http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/summit_forecast.php

FisherCat
11-18-2010, 09:05 PM
I would also suggest taking advantage of the great info provided here:

http://www.mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org/

Throughout the winter the picture library will grow.

vettechjamie
11-18-2010, 09:21 PM
Thank you for posting that information. I have all the nessasary equipment. I have looked at the weather reports daily and so far it seems to be in the upper 30's (still chilly):)
I hope the weather holds.

When you get back here and would like to climb mt washington again, please drop me an email. I would like to join the 4000 footer club and this climb starts it. I am also willing to climb in the winter because i would like to get the winter patch too.

Jamie

mtruman
11-19-2010, 07:28 AM
Today's higher summits forecast pretty much says it. Highs around 10F with wind chills 10 to 20 below. Winds 40-55 today and 70-90 with higher gusts tomorrow. In those conditions it's beyond insulated boots and clothing. Full face protection and goggles for sure. Multi-layer hand protection (gloves with over mittens). Definitely need to take the ice axe and crampons as well. The tricky thing this time of year is that the conditions are transitional. You may be in snow or you may be on icy rocks with little other cover. Also remember that the summit buildings are officially closed for the season so there is no place to get inside at the top. Be safe and don't be afraid to turn back if you feel you're getting to your limit.

Brad
11-19-2010, 07:47 AM
To see how the conditions have been the past few days, check out the image archive. That also includes web camera images and Conditions page for the past several years. These can be found at http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2010/

freighttrain
11-19-2010, 11:03 AM
I agree with everyone else I would also bring microspikes you can walk on snow ice and rocks with out worring about damage. also bring a bivy sac or sub zero bag. If you are stuck up there and the weather the basement of the lake of the clouds hut is unlocked and you can take shelter there in an emergcy

smithtim
11-19-2010, 07:07 PM
not so sure if I'd be comfortable with just spikes?

If you are worried about damaging your crampons that is one thing, but I'd be more concerned with keeping good safe footing. I'd much rather mess up a pair of $70 crampons than go sliding down the side of tucks..... anyways a good file and a little TLC can repair most rock damage done to the crampons

Brad
11-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Thank you for posting that information. I have all the nessasary equipment. I have looked at the weather reports daily and so far it seems to be in the upper 30's (still chilly):)
I hope the weather holds.

I am not sure where you are looking for the weather conditions. The Observatory's Conditions page shows the temp never got above 8 F all day today starting at day light. Wind chills have been -20 F and lower most of the day. And the wind hit 69 MPH this morning.

http://images51.fotki.com/v1560/photos/2/1002902/9204346/20101119_140659_conditions-vi.png

freighttrain
11-20-2010, 09:20 AM
not so sure if I'd be comfortable with just spikes?

If you are worried about damaging your crampons that is one thing, but I'd be more concerned with keeping good safe footing. I'd much rather mess up a pair of $70 crampons than go sliding down the side of tucks..... anyways a good file and a little TLC can repair most rock damage done to the crampons

I agree with you tim i would bring crampons as well for the ravine but I bet there isnt much snow on summit cone and the micros would be ideal for that part of the ascent in my mind I hope vetechjamie goes up lion head instead of the ravine and If this is his first climb I hope he knows when he should turn around. I was in gorham yesterday and there wasnt much snow up on madison but those winds are gonna be killer

Brad
11-20-2010, 06:23 PM
I am waiting to hear how he did - and hoping he turned around to do the summit another day. Could not see much all day in the Deck camera. This is about as good as the view got all day.

http://images57.fotki.com/v80/photos/2/1002902/9204348/20101120_141828_deck-vi.jpg

Brad
11-20-2010, 09:56 PM
The Conditions page shows a tough day to be out up there. Wind peaked at 91 MPH and the temp go to about 18 F. Wind chill now that the wind has died down is around minus 22 F. I hope he back okay.

http://images57.fotki.com/v81/photos/2/1002902/9204346/20101120_214706_conditions-vi.png

smithtim
11-21-2010, 02:38 PM
yeah hope he's OK also... usually in weather like that people turn around quickly once they get a full feeling of the wind after popping over the top of the bowl ( if not in the parking lot )

vettechjamie
11-21-2010, 10:47 PM
Hello thank you all for your posts on the trail location. A friend of mine and I climbed mt washington via the tuckermans ravine trail to lions head trail on saturday 11/20/2010. there was a small amount of ice on the 2.5 mile trail/road up to tuckermans ravine. spikes or yak tracks are recommended. we used screws screwed into the bottom of our boots which worked great and cost 5 bucks 1/2 inch stayed out of boot and stayed in sole.

If you didnt see the weather on that day it was 10 degrees with a chance of snow and wind chills 10-20 below and wind 70-90 mph. the hike to the top of lions head was enjoyable limited wind below the alpine zone. Once in the alpine zone we were in heavy fog and a steady snowfall which was made into white out conditions due to the wind. we ended up turning around due to the weather on the bowl. on the top back on tuckermans ravine trail heading toward the summit there was a fair amount of Ice and certin spots it was hard to go up even with the spikes. We had all the ness. gear (clothes, spikes, food ect.) and having it be our first hike up and due to the white out conditions and not knowing or seeing the summit, we feel it was the safest thing to turn back better safe then lost. We will return and complete this climb befor the weather gets to bad.

Jamie

Over all it was an enjoyable climb and had it not been for the whiteouts we would have made the summit. There were many other climbers that had gone up befor us and all made it down safely.

vettechjamie
11-21-2010, 10:58 PM
Here is a gps map of my hike and the spot where we turned around :( aghhh so close :)

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=106741243220676676578.00049588142d3ba179b2d&t=h&z=14

Please let me know if this link works and if it shows the trail.

Jamie

cjthehiker
11-22-2010, 01:58 AM
hey jamie, sorry to hear about missing the summit but i know how you feel because my dad and i had the same issue with the weather on saturday and we too had to turn around at the top. But dont worry we will get to the top.

Hannah

Snow Miser
11-22-2010, 07:38 AM
The link works great. Man, you guys were so close. But you did the right thing under the circumstances. Good luck on your next attempt. Look forward to hearing about it and seeing a few pics.

Brad
11-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Jamie, the link works well. You made it past the big junction at the Alpine Garden - through the scrub and almost to the next major junction. So, you made it a lot farther than I figured you could. My rule is if we have trouble seeing the next cairn, turn around. The conditions could get worse and then you are in trouble. Glad you turned around and got down okay. The mountain will be there and it is a beauty.

mtruman
11-22-2010, 08:01 PM
Ditto what Brad and the others said. You had quite the introduction to the mountain! Hope you have smoother sailing next time. Good luck with your pursuit of the other 4Ks too...

smithtim
11-23-2010, 11:53 AM
thanks for the post and link.... pretty useful to see the exact track!

Glad to hear you had a safe hike