PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Gift Ideas

Brad
11-30-2010, 09:11 PM
It is that time of year when we all scratch our head trying to come up with a good holiday gift idea. But, it is easy this year!

Give a Mt Washington Observatory membership as a gift.
For a member move them up a level or two or three.
Have someone on your list who has everything? Give a donation to the Observatory in that person's name.
Give an EduTrip or a DayTrip to a friend.
Have a child who wants something really, really cool? Give his or her class an online Distance Learning session with an observer at the summit of Mt Washington!
Take a child to the Weather Discovery Center in N Conway - have fun together - then ask them to find a gift in the shop right in the WDC.
Give an extra donation to the Observatory. There is always a need.

If you want to talk about donation ideas and ways of helping provide extra funding for key initiatives - or Planned Giving - call Kerry MacDougal at HQs in N Conway. She would love to talk with you.

If you want to give yourself a gift, sign up and become a member. Or if you are already a member, move to the next higher membership level. You will love it!

Snow Miser
12-01-2010, 07:51 AM
Great ideas Brad. Thanks!

crudio
12-01-2010, 09:24 AM
Yes Brad, these are great ideas! ;)

And, in case any of you didn't know, we are also offering a special promotion right now for gift memberships. Buy a gift membership at any level, and YOU get a free box of chocolates from New Hampshire's own Van Otis Chocolates. I may have sampled them... a few times... and they are REALLY good!

(We can also mail them to the gift recipient, if you're not a chocoholic like me...)

Gift memberships really are a "gift that keeps on giving," since the recipient will be able to use the many benefits -- free admission to 200+ science museums, premium content on the website, discounts on trips and in the stores, etc. -- all year long.

BAXTERCA2
12-01-2010, 09:29 AM
I'll take #2 Brad ;)

DollarBill
12-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Brad,

Thanks for starting this thread! These are all wonderful ideas.

Another way to help out the Obs is to purchase items from one of our retail efforts. There are many good deals to take advantage of this time of year.

-Local folks can shop in the Weather Store (our retail shop within the Weather Discovery Center in North Conway, NH).
-Keep checking in with the online shop https://www.mountwashington.org/shop/ We are always running specials and adding new items. Today, in addition to the discounts, we are offering free shipping on any order over $100.
-We are offering a 20% discount on most Washburn Gallery prints! http://www.washburngallery.org/ (signed prints are not on sale, all others are) If you've ever wanted a Washburn White Mountain print, this is the best time to buy.

All profits from these retail sales go directly to the Observatory and help us fund our operating expenses and ongoing programs. :D

Trivia Question: How many tee shirts would Bill have to sell in order to pay the electricity bill for one month? (October/all locations, to be more specific)

I'll give you the answer tomorrow.

Bill Grenfell
Dir. Museum Operations
MWO

Brad
12-01-2010, 01:59 PM
I'll take #2 Brad ;)
Chris just did it - so, I am sure others can too.

Santa
12-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Brad and Bill, thank you for all the great Christmas gift ideas! Not only do they help the Observatory, they also help me by lightening the load in my sleigh (since most of them go through the US Mail, and not the North Pole)!

If you do give a gift membership, and don't want the chocolates, just give them to Cara, and you'll have a friend for life!

Santa

Brad
12-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Trivia Question: How many tee shirts would Bill have to sell in order to pay the electricity bill for one month? (October/all locations, to be more specific)

I'll give you the answer tomorrow.

Bill Grenfell
Dir. Museum Operations
MWO

Let's see - the only number that really matters is profit on a t-shirt. If the answer is small, then the electric bill is smaller than my house electric bill. If the answer is big or huge, the Obs is either making more profit than the price of a t-shirt (I doubt) or the electric bill is "big".

Brad and Bill, thank you for all the great Christmas gift ideas! Not only do they help the Observatory, they also help me by lightening the load in my sleigh (since most of them go through the US Mail, and not the North Pole)!

If you do give a gift membership, and don't want the chocolates, just give them to Cara, and you'll have a friend for life!

Santa
Santa, thanks for reining in here. Do you have other suggestions that would help the Observatory, us folks, or lighten your load even more?

BAXTERCA2
12-01-2010, 06:11 PM
I'm going to guess Bill would need to sell 250 t-shirts to pay the October electricity bill for all locations.

Brad
12-01-2010, 06:13 PM
I'm going to guess Bill would need to sell 250 t-shirts to pay the October electricity bill for all locations.
My guess is that will get you a hardy Ho Ho Ho. I am guessing they make $2.00 on a shirt. So, the number is big - huge too.

BAXTERCA2
12-01-2010, 06:20 PM
My guess is that will get you a hardy Ho Ho Ho. I am guessing they make $2.00 on a shirt. So, the number is big - huge too.

Bill said October...Hardy Ho Ho Ho.

You know I like these silly reindeer trivia forum games :)

CHRIS
12-01-2010, 06:20 PM
I am guessing for all locations @ 2.00 a shirt = 5000 shirts...

BAXTERCA2
12-01-2010, 06:31 PM
I am guessing for all locations @ 2.00 a shirt = 5000 shirts...

I wasn't the best at math but are you saying the electric bill for all locations totaled $10,000

CHRIS
12-01-2010, 06:46 PM
I figured all locations. Maybe it would be expensive.

h2oeco
12-01-2010, 07:21 PM
From spending time on the summit as a volunteer, I know that the consumption of electricity is a big deal - apparently, it is quite expensive. I'm not privy to exact numbers, but I suspect that the electric bill for all locations in total is quite high. All the servers and other electronic equipment probably would generate a pretty big bill on their own, even w/o all the other stuff.

Ed

Santa
12-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Santa, thanks for reining in here. Do you have other suggestions that would help the Observatory, us folks, or lighten your load even more?

Brad,

There are many things that you can do to help lighten my reindeers' load, and lighten the Observatory's financial load. You've already mentioned some of the significant tangible ways in which to do this - gift memberships, renewals, donations, and retail items - but there are many more, including some intangible ones...

1) For those of you on the forums who aren't already Observatory members, please join up! It is a gift to you, and to the Observatory...
2) Volunteering - help the observatory out in person, whether in the office, the Weather Discovery Center, at the summit, or at events...
3) Publicity - if you like what the Observatory does, help spread the word! Tell family, friends and colleagues about the Observatory and its mission. This can be done in person, or via Facebook and other means...
4) If you own any Observatory logo gear, and someone asks you about it while you are out and about, chat them up - tell them what the Observatory is and does, and why it is important!
5) And, if you're all out of gift ideas, and have someone very special left on your list, give them a Winter Daytrip! They'll enjoy it (and have many memories and stories to tell), you'll enjoy giving it, and it helps the Observatory too!

Some of my fondest memories are of my late night Christmas visits to the summit of Mt. Washington. The sights, sounds, and weather are impressive, even at night. Sometimes, I see Ryan struggling against the wind, going out to collect the precip can, but so far, he hasn't caught me in the act of making my Christmas deliveries (though, a few times, it has been very close!)!

Santa

Brad
12-01-2010, 09:33 PM
I figured all locations. Maybe it would be expensive.
Remember Bill said for the one month - October.

Brad
12-01-2010, 09:37 PM
The last I heard there were a few remaining tickets to the New Years Eve Extravaganza Overnight Soiree Special Deal Event. If you to give that something special, sign up for two - if there are any left.

kbrown5523
12-02-2010, 01:35 AM
Great ideas Brad, Bill and Santa! These truly are the gifts that keep on giving and I'll try to spread the word as well. Happy Holidays!!

Brad
12-02-2010, 09:16 AM

Ok, my guess, assuming $2.00 in profit per shirt, is 3,500 shirts.

DollarBill
12-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Hey now, folks... I never confirmed that the profit on a single tee shirt is $2. In retail of this type (gifts and souvenirs) the general markup equation is (cost X 2) = retail. Then we have to add in just a little bit to cover the freight costs, which can be pretty high these days. We buy our tees in fairly large volume (thousands every summer) so we can usually get a slightly better profit margin than (cost X 2). So... if the regular retail of a tee shirt (at the Summit gift shop) is $20.00, and the cost is about half that, then we might make around $10 on the average per shirt.

I'll check back later to see if there are any more guesses. :)

ejo142010
12-02-2010, 11:38 AM
thank you for all the great Christmas gift ideas Brad and Bill.

Brad
12-02-2010, 11:42 AM
With that cost structure my answer is 700

CHRIS
12-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Ok then I will change my answer to about 1000 t's.

Snow Miser
12-02-2010, 12:39 PM
I will guess 500 tees.

BAXTERCA2
12-02-2010, 12:51 PM
I was wondering where the $2 profit came from. Thanks for clarifying that Bill.
I'm sticking with my original guess of 250 t's

DollarBill
12-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Bob is the winner! It would take 500 tee shirt sales to clear enough profit to pay the $5000 electric bill for The Mount Washington Observatory for the month of October. YIKES! I hope Brad's electric bill is smaller than that!

Brad
12-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Bob is the winner! It would take 500 tee shirt sales to clear enough profit to pay the $5000 electric bill for The Mount Washington Observatory for the month of October. YIKES! I hope Brad's electric bill is smaller than that!

I am just used to everyone whinning about the electric bill. If it is "only" $5,000 a month . . . Sure am glad it is not mine. But, any way we can help cover that cost is a big deal.

Snow Miser
12-02-2010, 02:58 PM

That's quite a heftly bill. Glad we can all help ease it through contributions, memberships, etc.

h2oeco
12-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Bill,

Since you brought it up, how many T-shirts do you sell in the average month? Just curious. I suspect that T-shirt sails aren't going to cover the monthly electric bill... :-)

Ed

Brad
12-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Didn't I hear they sell them in minimum quantities of 500?:cool:

Thom01
12-09-2010, 01:47 PM
From spending time on the summit as a volunteer, I know that the consumption of electricity is a big deal - apparently, it is quite expensive. I'm not privy to exact numbers, but I suspect that the electric bill for all locations in total is quite high. All the servers and other electronic equipment probably would generate a pretty big bill on their own, even w/o all the other stuff.

I wonder if anyone there has ever thought about generating their own electric? There are plans for machines that one can build which, according to their pomoters, can greatly reduce or even eliminate consumer energy costs.

Just an idea to maybe look into.

Brad
12-15-2010, 10:11 AM
I wonder if anyone there has ever thought about generating their own electric? There are plans for machines that one can build which, according to their pomoters, can greatly reduce or even eliminate consumer energy costs.

Just an idea to maybe look into.
One big issue is always the winter weather. It is windier in the winter - but the icing conditions mean the Observatory's weather instruments are heated and still freeze up. Anything that tries to move in the winter at the summit just will not work. Last year there was a small wind turbine product that was tested in the summer. Could not destroy it - heavy duty - and all those words. I am not sure it even lasted a day.

It would be great if this could be a source of power. But, I have not heard of a practical solution.

Brad
12-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Still doing last minute shopping? Check out the Observatory's online store and place an order. You know they will work hard to get the items to you quickly.

betsy042
12-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Christmas spirit is on the air :)

AlexaF
12-21-2010, 11:24 AM
It's December 21st and I have not begun Christmas shopping yet.
I'm really bad at this.