PDA

View Full Version : Looking for good hike/nature walk in the Whites for me and my pregnant wife on Friday

KSearl
12-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some hike/walk suggestions for Friday. My wife is currently 3.5 months pregnant, so she can certainly handle a good walk. I want to stay away from a lot of elevation, large stepping and squeezes...I'm really looking for a good, nice walk. I was thinking of Cave Mountain since it is fairly short and the elevation looks minimal.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Karl

freighttrain
12-08-2010, 10:21 AM
I dont know if this is to steep its 1600 ft of gain over 4.4 miles. It is recomended for families with small children I would bring micro spikes.

http://www.summitpost.org/welch-dickey-loop-trail/156252

KSearl
12-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Hi freighttrain,

I've thought about Welch-Dickey, although I think it is a bit more aggressive than what I'm looking for. The elevation is a bit more than I wanted and I'm concerned about the slabs near the summits of both peaks. I'm trying to approach this from a very cautious standpoint...thanks for the suggestion, though.

We will definitely be using our YakTraks...which brings up another good point regarding a comparison of YakTraks, Micro Spikes and Stabilicers...I may bring this up in a new thread to see what people think of them all.

Thanks,
Karl

freighttrain
12-08-2010, 12:53 PM
my other thought was pack monadnock in temple nh there are 2 trails both 1.4 miles to the top about 900ft of gain and a 1.2 mile auto rd that you could use. I hike these trails quite often because of they are a lot closer to my house than the whites I usually hike up the wapack and go down the auto rd its a nice 2.6 mile loop. the auto rd may be you best bet for the ascent because its not steep and traction wont be a problem the views from the top are nice and depending on were in rockingham county you are in

KD Talbot
12-08-2010, 03:31 PM
If you're not really looking to gain any elevation then I would suggest Echo Lake or Diana's Baths off of Westside Road in Conway, or Around the Lake Trail behind the Highland Center in Crawford Notch. Also in Crawford Notch are Arethusa and Ripley Falls, but some uphill hiking to each.

In Franconia Notch a lot of people visit The Flume. There's a nice trail around it, just don't try to go into it. Then take the round-about way back, across the bridge above The Pool, beautiful this time of year, and easy hiking. There's also The Basin.

In Pinkham there's LosT Pond trail, Tuckerman Ravine up to the Crystal Cascade, and the hikes to Lila's Ledge and Lowe's Bald Spot are pretty low key with good views.

Hope this helps.

KDT

d.b.cooperisalive
12-08-2010, 04:20 PM
To me you can't get easier then Zealand Trail with minimal elevation gain but has great scenery including beaver bogs. Continue after about a hour onto Ethan Pond Trail which also has terrific views without elevation gain. I never hiked the full length of EPT. I hike about a hour to Thoreau Falls and then returned via ZT. I really like this trail when I want to get some exercise and enjoy the Whites but don't want to hike a mountain. The only kicker is at this time of year they close the road down so you have to hike the road to get to the trail which you may not want to. Congrats on your upcoming addition.

Addicted
12-08-2010, 06:06 PM
I agree that Arethusa would be nice. My 80 year old grandmother did this in the summer and was fine, although she never forgave me for suggesting it! You may even get to see ice climbers in the winter if there's enough ice. I'm not sure we're there yet.

I too hike Pack Monadnock a lot and it's great and not too long. We have hiked the auto road in the winter up and down and it's not steep. The last section is, but nothing to worry about.

Let us know how it goes.

You could consider Mt Willard in Crawford Notch as well. Short, but I can't remember if it was awfully steep.

mtruman
12-09-2010, 06:47 AM
Some good suggestions here already.

Around the Lake at Highland Center is a favorite for me. There is a spur at the far end that goes to the Red Bench overlook which has beautiful views on Mt Washington on a clear day. It is a great walk in the winter and the AMC post yesterday says they currently have 17" of snow in Crawford Notch. The trail gets enough use that you should be able to just bare boot it.

Arethusa Falls is definitely a great winter walk. A few more ups and downs and a bit longer. Probably want light traction

Zealand is another wonderful option as long as Zealand Road is still open. Since they don't plow it there's a good chance that it's already closed. Too bad - this would be a perfect winter walk.

Mt Willard is probably good too. Definitely not steep but you are going up hill. Gorgeous views into Crawford Notch in the winter. This was one of our first snowshoe hikes.

Lincoln Woods is another option. The first couple of miles of the trail are dead flat. Should be a pretty walk in the woods if there's snow (but perhaps a bit boring otherwise).

Stets
12-09-2010, 10:02 AM
A pleasant nature walk in North Conway is The Pudding Pond Trail.

Easy to get to and a nice walk around the pond.

Combine this with The Moat Mountain Trail to Diana's Baths (as Kevin Suggested) and that will keep you busy for a few hours.

With more time you could always continue on The Moat Mountain Trail to pick up The Red Ridge Trail at Lucy Brook.

If you proceed a bit more on The Red Ridge trail you may pick up the Red Ridge Link which will connect you with White Horse and Cathedral Ledges.

Great views into the town of North Conway with little elevation gain.

Isn't is wonderful to have choices?

Good Luck

KSearl
12-09-2010, 11:26 AM
Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions.

I think I have decided that I definitely want to stay away from any hill climbing, regardless of the steepness, for now. So, I think I have narrowed it down to Kevin and Mark's suggestions of Around the Lake Trail (detouring down to Red Bench Trail) or Echo Lake Loop in North Conway. These both seem like good fits for what Jill and I are looking for.

I think the Zealand Trail would have been ideal...too bad the road is most likely not accessible right now. I'll also be looking into the Pudding Pond Trail too, since I've never heard of that before.

Does anyone know much about the Church Pond Loop, up on the Kanc? That looks like a good option from the map, but I think I've read you have to rock hop Swift River??? If that is the case...that's definitely out too!

Thanks again everyone for the help. Greatly appreciated!

Karl

KSearl
12-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Hi Everyone,

So again, thanks for all the suggestions. We decided on heading up to the Crawford Notch to hike the Around-the-Lake Trail that was suggested. Unfortunately, we didn't bring the snowshoes because we "assumed" the trail would be packed down...if not a bit bare...gosh, were we wrong!!! The winds had drifted one to two feet of snow into the trail. After almost twisting our ankles on rocks under the snow, we retreated and headed to Echo Lake for a quick loop. Unfortunately for us, there was no snow in North Conway. Honestly, the drive was the best part, making a loop up 93, over 302 and down 16...we saw many beautiful, snow covered mountains! My full trail report is here, if you're interested: http://livefreeandhikenh.blogspot.com/2010/12/cold-day-around-echo-lake-state-park.html

Here are a few pictures from around the lake.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs738.snc4/65865_1548587992163_1158978130_31263528_3235755_n. jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1235.snc4/156762_1548589392198_1158978130_31263539_7062566_n .jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs598.ash2/155002_1548592432274_1158978130_31263558_3808327_n .jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs601.ash2/155387_1548593112291_1158978130_31263563_8298025_n .jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs715.snc4/63566_1548594152317_1158978130_31263572_2125710_n. jpg

Karl

Stets
12-16-2010, 11:52 AM
Hey!

You guys were out there and that's what it's all about.

Tricky time of the year for hikes.

You take what you can get.

Thanks for the report.