PDA

View Full Version : Meeting of MWO members & Forum Folk - N Conway

Brad
12-17-2010, 12:51 PM
There are several people who will be around the N Conway area near the end of January. I am at a Board meeting the weekend of January 22 & 23rd (in Florida). So, that weekend does not work for me. Friday Jan 28th, Sat Jan 29th or Sunday Jan 30th would work for me.

Chime in here whether folks want to plan a get together in N Conway for the 22-23rd without me (which is fine). Or would there be interest the following weekend?

Brad
12-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Another possible date would be the weekend of Feb 12th - which is Lincoln's birthday.

BlueDog
12-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Weekend of the 22nd-23rd happens to work the best for me. I typically drive up on Friday and drive home on Monday. Need to check off two more 4k'ers, so a GTG would need to be in the evening. (Which works better for beer time too!)

Snow Miser
12-17-2010, 05:19 PM
The weekend of the 22nd and 23rd would be best for me too. We're driving up that Friday, so an early evening that day would be good. And a beer would be mighty tasty too! Sunday evening would work also, if we get off the Rockpile early enough. One thing about this weekend is, how can we have a meeting without the chairman (Brad) being present? :D

mrohssler
12-17-2010, 05:28 PM
I could do friday night the 21st or Sunday the 23rd

Brad
12-17-2010, 08:16 PM
It sounds like Sunday evening the 23rd is a good date for folks. Would we get more folks on a Friday evening or Sunday? Was I was guessing Friday.

Charlie
12-17-2010, 09:28 PM
if im coming up it will be on a fri so fri is good and i will drive home sun or mon

Snow Miser
12-19-2010, 09:02 AM
if im coming up it will be on a fri so fri is good and i will drive home sun or mon

If this meeting is still being considered, Friday early evening would work for us. We're driving up that day, arriving around 5pm. Motel check-in, then free time the rest of the evening.

Brad
12-19-2010, 09:04 AM
It is hard to see a preference yet on Fri vs. Sunday evening.

Snow Miser
12-19-2010, 09:07 AM
It is hard to see a preference yet on Fri vs. Sunday evening.

We will keep both Fri and Sun evenings open just in case.

Charlie
12-19-2010, 12:31 PM
If this meeting is still being considered, Friday early evening would work for us. We're driving up that day, arriving around 5pm. Motel check-in, then free time the rest of the evening.

where are you staying

Charlie
12-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Brad when do you depart for Florida

Brad
12-19-2010, 04:35 PM
I go to FL on Friday morning. My return flight lands in Manchester at about 4PM. If on schedule on Sunday I could be in N Conway a few minutes after 6PM.

Brad
12-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Is Sunday Jan 23rd the date folks want for N Conway? If so, can we pick 6PM meeting time so I have a chance to get there? Or do you need to start earlier?

Someone want to select a location to meet?

Snow Miser
12-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Sunday Jan 23rd, 6pm or slightly later should be good for us. We're just staying in Bartlett that night. How about Moat Mountain? They have a killer Texas Style Brisket that I can't get enough of.

Brad
12-23-2010, 09:39 PM
Lets see what Erich says. That is fine with me. I just have to get there from Florida.

BlueDog
12-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Sunday would work for me.

Brad
12-24-2010, 09:40 PM
The N Conway gathering is set - Sunday, January 30th at 6:00 PM at Moat Mountain. Start without me if I am late. I will keep Erich posted on my status as I have his cell number.

Now to build the list of who is coming:

Erich
Brad
Bob

Who else can join us? Forum members and lurkers are all welcome.

Snow Miser
12-24-2010, 10:24 PM
The N Conway gathering is set - Sunday, January 30th at 6:00 PM at Moat Mountain. Start without me if I am late. I will keep Erich posted on my status as I have his cell number.

Now to build the list of who is coming:

Erich
Brad
Bob

Who else can join us? Forum members and lurkers are all welcome.

We will be there. Add:

Gary (my brother - not on the forums)
John (my friend - not on the forums)

Snow Miser
12-24-2010, 10:37 PM
We will be there. Add:

Gary (my brother - not on the forums)
John (my friend - not on the forums)

Oh shot. Brad, just realzed, is it Sunday Jan 23rd? That's when we will be up in NH, getting down off the summit from our EduTrip.

Charlie
12-25-2010, 08:12 AM
i will see if i can make this one bit i will make the other one a little south of NH

TrishandAlex
12-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Alex and I might be able to come, if you don't mind kids attending.

Snow Miser
12-25-2010, 02:20 PM

Trish, that would be great if you and Alex can make it! I look forward to meeting the two of you. :)

Brad
12-25-2010, 02:25 PM
That sounds wonderful. Then we can get her autograph - on the menu maybe. The book comes later.

BlueDog
12-25-2010, 03:48 PM
I think I might be able talk Mackmommy to join us.

Mackmom
12-26-2010, 09:23 PM
I think I might be able talk Mackmommy to join us.

Count me in :)

Brad
12-27-2010, 05:39 AM
Count me in :)
Wonderful.

I heard on Facebook that Joan E is coming from Cape Cod. Not sure yet if her daughter will be able to join us or not. Many times when you go to the Seek The Peak Hiker page the daughter's picture shows up on the right in the rotation. She is looking up at the camera as she climbs the summit cone for her first STP and she has a big smile on her face.

hobbes
12-27-2010, 12:21 PM

Might have to bring my kids then. Alex can regale them with her hiking stories.

Brad
12-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Might have to bring my kids then. Alex can regale them with her hiking stories.

That would be great if you all could join us! We are getting a good turnout for the RI/Mass/RI gathering too.

mrohssler
12-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Confused now.I too will be in NH the weekend of the 23rd. I was thinking that is what was planned?

Brad
12-27-2010, 10:18 PM
Confused now.I too will be in NH the weekend of the 23rd. I was thinking that is what was planned?

There are two different threads here in this forum section. One is for the N Conway gathering on January 23rd (this thread). And there is another thread for a gathering in Franklin, Mass aimed at folks in the southern Mass, RI, CT area. That one is scheduled for January 30th. Please post in the right one which event you will plan to attend so we can have a close count as we get into January.

mrohssler
12-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Cool If the North Conway one is the 23rd I will be there. I will up north that weekend. I got confused because in your posting on the 24th you said the North Conway one was set for the 30th at Moat Mountain. I am also going to try to go to the Franklin Mass one on the 30th also

MOAB149
12-28-2010, 02:32 PM
I want to get back to the mountain soon so I may be in. Bob and/or Charlie, want to ride along? The Jeep is currently in the shop having the tranny rebuilt but I should be good to go by the end of January. Will there be any hiking involved? I'd really like to trek up to the base of the headwall in winter conditions.

BlueDog
12-28-2010, 03:10 PM
Maybe turn this into a group hike/dinner GTG?

Brad
12-28-2010, 03:30 PM
The N Conway gathering is set - Sunday, January 30th at 6:00 PM at Moat Mountain.
This is INCORRECT. The date is January 23rd for the N Conway event.

Snow Miser
12-28-2010, 04:37 PM
I want to get back to the mountain soon so I may be in. Bob and/or Charlie, want to ride along? The Jeep is currently in the shop having the tranny rebuilt but I should be good to go by the end of January. Will there be any hiking involved? I'd really like to trek up to the base of the headwall in winter conditions.

Dave, we're heading up Friday 1/21 to do an EduTrip the 22nd and 23rd. Then we have to drive back to PA right away on Monday because my brother has to fly out to a conference. So unfortunately, we won't get to do any hiking. If we could hike to the base of the headwall, we'd love to team up with you.

mrohssler
12-28-2010, 04:46 PM
Cool I will be there

MOAB149
12-28-2010, 05:02 PM
A shucks!!!

MOAB149
12-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Will kilts be the uniform of the day?

BlueDog
12-28-2010, 05:04 PM

Did you mean to say... "Kilts will be the uniform of the day" ?

Snow Miser
12-28-2010, 05:30 PM

You guys are brave!!!!

MOAB149
12-28-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm in!!!!!!

mtruman
12-28-2010, 06:12 PM
We'll be at the MA/RI/CT event on the 30th. Wish we could make this one too but we're currently shooting for being in NH the prior weekend (MLK Day holiday). Sounds like the NH event is going to be fun - particularly if a winter kilt hike is included. Please supply plenty of photos. ;)

Charlie
12-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Im not going to make this one but i will make the MA/RI/CT

Brad
12-28-2010, 08:59 PM
With having to be in FL that weekend, the only time I could do a headwall hike would be the prior Wednesday or Thursday. So, my guess is we will have to plan for a different time or you can find another partner. Hmmm, I might be able to do the following day - Jan 24th

Brad
01-03-2011, 09:46 AM
This is the thread for the gathering in N CONWAY on January 23rd at Moat Mountain Smoke House & Brewing Co. to start at 6PM.
http://moatmountain.com

Lets get a count of who will be coming to this one.

Dave Brown
mrohssler
Snow Miser (Bob)
Trish and Alex
BlueDog (Erich)
Mackmom
Joan E.
Gary (w/ Snow Miser)
John (w/ Snow Miser)

All are welcome and the more the merrier. Let us get a good count and I will contact Moat Mt to warn them.

Brad
01-05-2011, 03:27 PM
I stopped at Moat Mountain this afternoon. Being a Sunday they have a dining room they normally do not use. So, they are holding that one for us. If we need a long table - or two - they can set us up fine. So, adding folks to this one will work well. There may be some Obs folks who will want to join us.

Special Hopeful Announcement: There is a good chance the EMS store manager in N Conway or one of their folks from the store will join us for this event! I will keep you posted on this.

BlueDog
01-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the footwork Brad! I'm looking forward to getting together with everyone.

Brad
01-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the footwork Brad! I'm looking forward to getting together with everyone.
The expression on the woman's face when she thought this group was coming on a Saturday! Priceless. Then she understood it was a Sunday - and no problem. A good thing to remember.

hobbes
01-06-2011, 08:31 AM
I used to have a monthly meeting in the Moat's backroom. It's a decent spot (away from other diners except on busy nights), and they threw in munchies for free with everyone paying for drinks.

Brad
01-06-2011, 05:30 PM
In case you were looking for it, here is the current Moat Mountain menu.

http://www.mainelylakeproperties.com/files/moat-mt-menu.pdf

Brad
01-06-2011, 05:32 PM
This is the thread for the gathering in N CONWAY on January 23rd at Moat Mountain Smoke House & Brewing Co. to start at 6PM.
http://moatmountain.com

The current list of who will be coming to this one.

Dave Brown
mrohssler
Snow Miser (Bob)
Trish and Alex
BlueDog (Erich)
Mackmom
Joan E.
Gary (w/ Snow Miser)
John (w/ Snow Miser)
Hobbes
Brad

All are welcome and the more the merrier. Let us get a good count and I will contact Moat Mt to warn them.

smithtim
01-08-2011, 10:40 PM
wish I could be up there as I'd love to have a beer, but I'm working down here in Florida for the whole spring term until may. Hope you all have a great time :)

With having to be in FL that weekend, t

Brad, just out of curiosity where do you go in Florida. Also I am sure you know the place well and all that but just in case if you need any local info about Florida ( central or southeast) please just me a PM.

p.s. totally random here, but if you are in SE Florida and looking for something different to do I just stumbled on this state park last weekend that's pretty unique to visit & may be of interest. I wrote up this MBpost

http://www.mbpost.com/trail/279940/oleta-river.html

Best, Tim

Brad
01-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Brad, just out of curiosity where do you go in Florida. Also I am sure you know the place well and all that but just in case if you need any local info about Florida ( central or southeast) please just me a PM.
Best, Tim
Tim, I have a Board meeting in Tampa all day on the 22nd. So, fly down from Manchester, NH on the 21st - meeting on the 22nd - fly back on the 23rd and drive to N Conway in time for this event.

I worked in Boca for a year and had an apartment in Delray Beach - and commuted back home in NY 2 to 3 times a week. So, I got to see a lot of the SE part of Florida and the Keys when I was there. There are some really nice places and great spots to eat.

Brad
01-14-2011, 03:25 PM
The 23rd is NEXT WEEKEND! Put this date on your calendar and join us in N Conway for a fun informal get together.

MOAB149
01-14-2011, 08:04 PM
I'm gonna make it on the 30th but not the 23rd. I'll be on a trail with the Scout Troop on that weekend.
Cheers,
Dave

mrohssler
01-15-2011, 04:01 PM
Brad, Have you spoken to a particular person in North Conway. I will most likely be stopping by there sometime friday and would be happy to give someone a nudge

Brad
01-15-2011, 04:33 PM
Brad, Have you spoken to a particular person in North Conway. I will most likely be stopping by there sometime friday and would be happy to give someone a nudge
A nudge is always nice. I spoke with Tracy Marnich - Assistant Store Manager. She can not come but she was trying to get the Store Manager to come. One of the Sales folks from the floor might enjoy coming in the Manager can not come. I will be in N Conway on Monday and will swing in then too.

mrohssler
01-19-2011, 06:00 PM
Brad, Did you get a chance to go by EMS. I will be going by on friday

Brad
01-19-2011, 06:08 PM
Brad, Did you get a chance to go by EMS. I will be going by on friday

Yes, and Tracy recognized me. She said they had talked about it and they know it is this Sunday - and will try to have someone there. Another person rolling in with the same question would be nice.

mrohssler
01-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Will be their to nudge away

Brad
01-19-2011, 09:20 PM
Will be their to nudge away

Wonderful to be able to meet you in person

TrishandAlex
01-23-2011, 08:53 AM
I'll either be there with Sage (and not Alex) and leave around 7:30, or I'll be there late with both kids. Hugh made plans with Alex after I told him we weren't hiking this weekend (too cold to hike!). We didn't coordinate well and now I'm trying to figure out how to make the dinner with both kids without messing up Hugh's plans. My bad! Will try to be there with one or both kids.

Trish

TrishandAlex
01-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Okay, should be there around 7pm with both kids, sorry we have to be late, hope all of you are still there when we arrive!

Brad
01-24-2011, 08:02 AM
We had a great get together. Thanks to everyone for coming. It was nice to meet new folks, meet up with friends, and to have dinner at Moat Mountain. My dinner (steak) was excellent.

Here is our group photo:

http://images47.fotki.com/v1499/photos/5/8235/9434278/IMG_3595a-vi.jpg

KathyC
01-24-2011, 06:30 PM
What a Great picture, everyone looks Happy! I'm going to try to make one when it comes further south.

Ales and Sage are adorable, who are the other two little boys?

Brad
01-24-2011, 06:44 PM
What a Great picture, everyone looks Happy! I'm going to try to make one when it comes further south.

Ales and Sage are adorable, who are the other two little boys?
The two boys are Hobbes' sons. Robert is the MWO web site webmaster/developer/problem solver.

Snow Miser
01-25-2011, 11:21 AM
Excellent group photo Brad! We all had a great time getting together with familiar faces, and meeting new ones as well. :) The Texas Style Brisket always keeps me coming back.

At this meeting, I also had a realization of what a small world we live in. Back in 2004, a few of us were up on Moosehead Lake in Maine and took a float plane sightseeing ride of the area. One thing I always remembered was how nice the pilot and woman in the office were to us. During the flight we spotted a couple of moose on the edge of the lake. We tapped the pilot on the shoulder and pointed down to them. He quickly banked the plane into a circle a few times so we could get a better look at them. We all thought that it was very nice of him to take the extra time to do that for us.

Well, when we got to the dinner, we sat across from a very nice couple whose names were Roger and Sue. We were chatting about various subjects like their recent adventure to the summit for the famous New Year's Eve dinner. After some more talk, he mentioned his flying service on Moosehead Lake. I told him that we took a plane ride up there a number of years back. He told us that there were only three services on the lake, and asked me what the plane look like that we took. I tried to describe it from memory, but it had been a few years ago. Low and behold, my friend John put this photo (http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5216/5387834492_88b94ff93b.jpg) on his credit card because he liked it so much. He pulled it out of his wallet and showed it to Roger and Sue who instantly said "that's our plane"! Oh my gosh, what a coincidence to be sitting across from them after all this time. It was very nice to meet them again! What a small world we do indeed live in.

In the photo, Roger and his wife Sue, are second and third from the left.

Mackmom
01-27-2011, 03:56 PM
I had a wonderful time meeting everyone on Sunday, thank you!!! Good food and great conversations around the table made for a very enjoyable evening. :)

Brad
01-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Alison, it was great to get a chance to meet you. Very glad you were able to join us and Erich did not leave you out there breaking trail.

Snow Miser
01-28-2011, 06:52 AM
It was very nice to meet you Alison. Good food and conversation with a great group of people! :)

Mackmom
01-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Alison, it was great to get a chance to meet you. Very glad you were able to join us and Erich did not leave you out there breaking trail.

Thanks, Brad! I am glad too, I might be a bit chilly and hungry by now ;)