PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Goals for 2011

BlueDog
12-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Following up from last years post (http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?5699-Hiking-Goals-for-2010).. how'd everyone do on their goals?

What's everyone's goals for 2011?

As for mine.. 2010 was a good year. I strayed from my list set up at the beginning of the year, but I got a lot more hiking in than I had planned, as well as being bitten by "The List" bug!

I knocked off 5 more 48s, making the total count of 8 (and right now I'm counting them the hard way, one peak per ascent.) Late snow in Yosemite forced me to change my plans for a first 13k peak, but I did get to spend several days in the backcountry and have breakfast on the top of el Capitan. Finally got to hike a local favorite, Old Rag Mountain, for the first time and decided to make my own grid and working on hiking it every month of the year. (Got two months done, this weekend will make three.) Made some dear new hiking friends and had the best time yet at Seek the Peak this past year.

So... on to 2011

2011 Hiking Goals
Mount Washington, NH - July 2011
Flags on the 48, NH - September 2011
Yosemite National Park - ?
Acadia National Park - ?
First 10k+ summit
10+ NH 4k's
Complete Old Rag Mountain grid (9 to go)

Near Future Goals
Prepare for John Muir Trail thru-hike (280 miles/30 days)
Prepare for Kilimanjaro (2012)

smithtim
12-23-2010, 05:39 PM
Nice goals & best of luck.....

You say you had bkfst on top of El Cap so I gotta ask how did you get up there? Gully or waterfall trail or did you spend the night before sleeping in a climbing harness

I guess for my goals this last year worked out OK as my primary goal was to learn to work with ice screws and I did that last week through an IMC class on Willey's slide.... For next year we're going to be out in Yosemite & Sequioa, so I guess I should at least say a goal is trail crest on Mt. Whitney (or possibly some alternate route to reach the crest / ride of the Eastern Sierra) and of course keep checking on numbers to help me get closer to joining the AMC 48 in winter committee

mtruman
12-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Considering everything that was going on with us this year we wound up doing quite well against our 2010 goals (http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?5699-Hiking-Goals-for-2010&p=38456#post38456).

Made it up to the Whites only twice in the winter (Jan and Mar) but managed to bag our first three winter 4Ks (Liberty, Pierce and Waumbek) as well as a few other great winter hikes. Technically Waumbek didn't count as a W4K since we took our time and were only back on the summit of Starr King when spring officially arrived (and we couldn't have cared less). The March weekend was a belated birthday weekend for me as planned and although we didn't stay at an AMC lodge as planned we had a great weekend staying at Moat Mountain Inn and great company for our hikes.

In June we spent our 6 days in Yosemite and I got to check off my #1 life list item. Still haven't decided what the next #1 is. We did several nice hikes including the Mist Trail and JMT to Vernal and Nevada Falls, Sentinel Dome and our favorite - Hetch Hetchy. We also met up with Erich (Bluedog) and spent a great day driving across Tioga Road and stopping at every interesting feature between the valley and Mono Lake. No hiking but a fantastic day!

Our week of "urban hiking" in San Francisco the following week was everything we'd hoped as well. We trekked just about every neighborhood in the city, walked across the Golden Gate Bridge and took a short hike to the summit of Mt Tamalpais. Best vacation ever!!

In July we did our third Seek the Peak and spent a long weekend camping at Moose Brook and sneaking in a couple of other hikes including one more 4K with Tim and Val (Mt Moriah) the day after STP.

We managed to sneak in a few day trips up north as well and got in some great hiking with friends. We also got in a great long weekend for Columbus day with four straight days of hiking. In all we grabbed 8 new 4Ks this year - just what we'd hoped - and are now at 21.

Life did get in the way just a bit and our hopes for some backpacking and the fall trip to Baxter and Katahdin didn't come to pass this year, but we've got plenty of time for those ahead.

So the goals for 2011...

- At least two winter weekends up north and a couple of new winter 4Ks

- Another attempt at the spring weekend with a night at Lakes and the Alpine Garden in bloom

- Seek the Peak #4 with a couple of other peaks thrown in for good measure

- At lease 9 more 4Ks total this year to reach the 30 mark

- A couple of backpacking weekends in the Whites this summer (I think Nat is intent on this since I got a bunch of freeze dried trail meals for Christmas)

- Another shot at the late summer or early fall trip to Baxter. This was supposed to be Nat's self-chosen birthday gift last year so we need to really try to make it happen this time.

- Flags on the 48. Really hated to miss that one this year.

A shorter list than I would have hoped this year, but with summer vacation most likely being occupied with looking at colleges with Jamie it's probably ambitious enough.

Hope to see you on the trail in 2011!

Snow Miser
12-27-2010, 08:40 PM
The 2011 hiking goals I will shoot for are:

- as many winter and spring hikes in the PA and NJ area as possible (not really a goal, but...)

- try to do Mount Katahdin in June

- STP 2011 in July

- Flags on the 48 in September (missed last year by one week)

- Franconia Ridge loop in early October

- and any other hikes that are sure to come up.

ow2010
12-27-2010, 09:22 PM
Well, 2010 has been a huge success for me. I returned home to New England in May and decided I was going to conquer Mt. Washington (after a failed attempt a year earlier) and I did. I also discovered the 48, and bagged 9 others so far (hopefully one more before 2011).
My goal is always to enjoy everyday as fully as I can, and I definitely feel like I've done that this year...I hate feeling like I wasted a good day doing nothing.

As for 2011...
I'm reluctant to set super specific goals because I think it's more fun when the plan isn't set in stone...as long as I'm having a good time throughout the year, I'm fulfilling my goals for the year.
But I do hope to bag some peaks in the Whites in January, March, May, August, November, and December. I'll be spending my summer in the Flatlands outside Chicago, so I'll be starved of the mountains unfortunately. Just looking forward to more hikes that bring me to views that literally make my jaw drop, and bring me that huge feeling of accomplishment knowing I got there on my own two feet. Perhaps an autumn hike in the Whites? I've definitely been missing out since I haven't been able to do one of those yet.

MelNino
12-29-2010, 11:04 AM
For 2011:

Get more of the 48s crossed off my list. I get an extra week vacation next year....so maybe I'll think about heading up to Katahdin as well...*dreams*

BlueDog
12-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Nice goals & best of luck.....

You say you had bkfst on top of El Cap so I gotta ask how did you get up there? Gully or waterfall trail or did you spend the night before sleeping in a climbing harness

I was hiking the north rim, started out from Big Oak Road, up across Devils Dancefloor and around. The night before I was on el Capitan, I had camped near Ribbon Creek just west of el Cap.

MOAB149
12-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Sixty miles during the week of my 60th birthday. Maybe I'll join Corey on his way north through PA.

Addicted
01-03-2011, 01:13 PM
My goals for 2010 were to reach 12 more summits and be half done with the list, which I achieved! With the list half done, my goals for 2011 (and 2012) were 12 summits a year, finishing the list on my 40th birthday.

However, it looks like my 2011 goals will have to be altered, as well as my goal of finishing on my 40th birthday. I found out that I am pregnant, which will likely slow down the process a lot! I'm still debating if I can manage a couple of spring summits before I get too big, but if not I won't be hiking again till late August most likely. My winter 4K's will be on hold this winter for sure, just for the sake of safety precautions.

So, with any luck I can manage a few summits this year, but I'm doubting it will be 12, as I have a lot of the 'short' and 'easy' ones already completed. This was the summer for Owl's Head, the Bonds and Wildcats, but they will just have to wait :)

smithtim
01-03-2011, 07:01 PM
I was hiking the north rim, started out from Big Oak Road, up across Devils Dancefloor and around. The night before I was on el Capitan, I had camped near Ribbon Creek just west of el Cap.

nice... sounds like you had a great time & thanks for the update

We're heading to yosemite for the first time in may; no camping though as we rented a condo but hopefully with early alarms and good daylight we'll get in a few good hike ( one that is on my list is maybe up the gully or maybe up the falls trail then traverses over.... time will tell)

FisherCat
01-03-2011, 07:31 PM
My wife finishing her 48 and more Historical Treks. This year I'm gonna do a winter version of Historical Trekking, circa King George's War! Should be a great year!

BlueDog
01-03-2011, 09:18 PM
nice... sounds like you had a great time & thanks for the update

We're heading to yosemite for the first time in may; no camping though as we rented a condo but hopefully with early alarms and good daylight we'll get in a few good hike ( one that is on my list is maybe up the gully or maybe up the falls trail then traverses over.... time will tell)

2011 will be my 4th year in a row going back to Yosemite. If you have ANY questions or want advice on hikes, terrain, etc I'd be more than happy to help. Once I start talking about Yosemite it's tough to stop. If you are considering a trek up Half Dome, the park has started requiring permits just for that one hike every day now.

smithtim
01-03-2011, 11:32 PM
Thanks that is appreciated & we're excited to finally get out there.

We're probably going to avoid half dome as it sounds like it gets a little busy..... I've been reading SummitPost & looking at NatGeo trail map and so far: Sentinel Dome from Glacier Point, El Cap Gully?? & Trail up Yosemite Falls ( possible descent if do Gully).......
and Matterhorn is tempting as the high point

Staying for five days so anything else you'd recommend?

Also, how are the "non tourist trails" out there? are they clearly marked with signage and/or markings on trees or does one need to bring some route finding skills with them?

And, what do you think about the snowpak & conditions at higher elevations in mid may? As we're also going to the eastern sierra for a few days (Whitney & Palisades).... Geussing dry trail head, slush snowshoe type approaches at mid elevation, then firming up at 10,000 ish?????

Thank you in advance,Tim

sdways01
01-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Goals for 2010:
- I did good on local hiking goals this year, but not as well for 4K goals
- I wanted to hike Mt. Monadnock (3,165ft) at least once in each month and was able to do that hiking it a total of 20 times and completing every single trail on the map
- I was able to get 6 of the 10 4Ks I had planned on (Kinsmans, Osceolas, and Lafayette & Lincoln for Flags on the 48) getting me up to 8 completed on the list
- I did get some good hiking in on camping trips that I hadn't planned on at the start of the year

Goals for 2011:
- My first Seek the Peak.... I wanted to this year but couldn't
- Mt. Whilley, Mt. Field, and Mt. Tom in a single hike
- Possibly my first winter 4K
- My second flags on the 48 (no set mountain yet)
- I would really like to do the Presidential Traverse this year as well, but we will see
- Basically I want to get a good junk more 4Ks checked off the list
- Also I plan on exploring the abandoned trails on Mt. Monadnock around home

LucyWiig1
01-09-2011, 10:14 PM
My goal this year is to get back to Washington and do a lot of hiking. I have some catchin up to do!