PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christmas

iceclimber
12-25-2010, 07:30 PM
It looks like it is a chilly night on the mountain again. I will be flying up on Tuesday to do winter camp/hike up Mt. Washington on Wed/Thurs. I was going to to this a few years ago with my brother in law, but he got sick and we turned back. I think the min. temp that December was in the mid to high 30s.

Well, I have my warm gear ready and am willing to give it a good try. If I'm socked in, I'll read a good book in my cozy bag at the hermit lake shelters. One question I do have for you who have done a winter ascent.

As for toilets, are there any at Hermit lake shelters? I don't have a CMC (clean mountain can), so if there are none, I'll be sure to bring along some green bags. Thanks and have a Happy Holiday season. I'll be sure to post some pics of my trip when I get back. Thanks Tim for your advice as well.

Here is to hoping the weather will be splitter on Thursday.

ow2010
12-25-2010, 07:55 PM
Well I don't have an answer to your question, but best of luck with your attempt! The weather looks like it should be pretty great Wed/Thurs judging from the long-term forecast. I plan to be on Mt. Jackson Thursday, so I'm praying for good weather as well.

iceclimber
12-25-2010, 08:12 PM
Thanks. Hope you have fun on Jackson.

mtruman
12-25-2010, 09:43 PM
There are toilets at Hermit Lake but I'm not sure that they're open in winter. I'm sure that someone else here knows. Good luck luck with your hike. And good luck with #11 Owen. At your current rate you're going to be caught up with us and pass us before we get our boots on again!

iceclimber
12-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Thanks. I'll be prepared either way.

Brad
12-26-2010, 09:12 AM
Trying to remember the toilet situation at Hermit lake. If I remember right there are "winter toilets" available - yes, still indoors.

iceclimber
12-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Well, that would be nice. It was cold up on Denali at 17'000 using the CMC.

smithtim
12-26-2010, 04:40 PM
they were open last march when I was up there, so I'd assume they are open year round...you could call Pinkman AMC if wanted to be 100% sure

best of luck :)

iceclimber
01-02-2011, 01:09 AM
Just an update. I had a wonderful time in NH and in the White Mountains. I had splitter weather on Thursday and made my summit. I camped at Hermit lake on Wed. night and with the winds, didn't think I would get a chance on Thurs., but it turned out to be a beautiful day. I think I could see all the way to Florida. I broke camp on Friday morning and flew back today. It was a great trip.

iceclimber
01-02-2011, 02:04 PM
I can also put to rest the question I posed about winter toilets. Hermit lake campsite does have winterized toilets.