PDA

View Full Version : New to the Forum - Planning a move from SF, CA!

ashyuik
12-26-2010, 04:05 PM
My wife and I are moving to VT early next year... We know MT Washington is close by and are excited to hike, bike and explore! Horrah!

We are also both snowboarders, but we're not sure if there are any runs... :confused:

Knapper
12-27-2010, 12:28 AM
Welcome to the forums. I'm from CA as well, grew up around Tahoe.

As far as skiing/boarding on the summit itself, it is all backcountry skiing/boarding. So you will have to hike it to go down it in the winter. But there are more than enough resorts around the New England areas to fulfill your needs. But note that east coast snow is not west coast snow by a long shot. Get ready to sharpen those edges and seek out the powder days or fresh cordaroy days. Icy slopes are much more abundant here. But there is great skiing/boarding to be had if you know where and when to go.

Bill O
12-27-2010, 08:35 PM
Too bad about that snowboarding thing. Maybe you'll sort that out one day.

Yes, Mount Washington has some great backcountry skiing. Tuckerman Ravine has been popular for decades and western type ski touring is really beginning to take hold out here.

Brad
12-27-2010, 10:19 PM
To give you some idea of ski places in NH, check out http://www.skicentral.com/rpt-newhampshire.html

smithtim
01-02-2011, 11:53 AM
My wife and I are moving to VT early next year... We know MT Washington is close by and are excited to hike, bike and explore! Horrah!

We are also both snowboarders, but we're not sure if there are any runs... :confused:

Hey & welcome to the forum...... if you like backcountry snowboarding check out the ravines; Tuckermans is nice like Bill O said. Also, Hunningtons ravine is great as you can walk in the AM, hike up the fan, pull out a pair of ice tools rope up and head up one of the gullies (central is only W II) then either descend the escape hatch and snowboard down the fan (or do both if the conditions and ability are good) Or if you are brave once topping out central head over the garden, talk to the tourists heading up Lion's head then tell them all to get out their cameras as you drop in at the top of tuckermans. Hers a link http://www.summitpost.org/central-gully/168446 .
Of course there are tons of other mountains in the area such as Crawford Notch & Franconia Notch state park area.

BTW you said you are from CA, do you frequent the High Sierra?? As we're heading out there next May ( planning: Palisades Glacier, Kersange Pass and of course Whitney) and any info / local advice would be appreciated!! We're thinking about staying at Glacier Lodge near Big Pine to acclimate a bit, the place seems nice & reasonable rates??? $90 weekday night for cabin