PDA

View Full Version : Guides for Mount Washington

madd121
01-04-2011, 07:17 AM
Is there a possibility to arrange a guided tour to some spots on Mount Washingtion. We are a bunch of german and austrian guys, which want to visit the area. But we will need a guide. Are there some adresses where we can arrange something like that?

iceclimber
01-05-2011, 03:24 PM
http://ime-usa.com/

Try these guys, though all you really need is a map and compass and some good weather.

Brad
01-05-2011, 03:34 PM
The folks at EMS in N Conway could be another option. They are a new key partner of the Observatory and they do guided hikes in the winter some of which include overnight at the summit. www.ems.com

For first time trying to summit in the winter you certainly need good weather and a guide can be very important. In the summer a guide is not that important.

gpetrics
01-05-2011, 04:24 PM
what are you guys looking to do?

technical climbing in the gullies that require rock/ice protection?

skiing backcountry terrain?

just hiking to the summit and back via a trail?

knowing what you plan to do would help in picking a guide. The folks at IME (reference earlier) will be very good for guiding technical climbing. If the weather is fair, I'd say you can probably ski and hike on your own sans a guide... and not to mention the price of a full guide might be overkill... however if you don't want to worry about doing the research yourself that certainly is a fine option!

have fun!

iceclimber
01-05-2011, 04:59 PM
I would say go with IME. EMS is a commercialized guiding company and IME is a local guiding company which has been around longer. Give them the support. Just my opinion though.

mrohssler
01-05-2011, 05:09 PM
IMO I would go with EMS They are great and lets show some support for our new corporate sponsor

iceclimber
01-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Nothing against EMS, but IME let me do something which I highly doubt EMS would do. I couldn't take my camping stove on the plane, so they they let me mail my stove to them and kept it for me. I walked in and picked it up and took it up the mountain.

Brad
01-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Nothing against EMS, but IME let me do something which I highly doubt EMS would do. I couldn't take my camping stove on the plane, so they they let me mail my stove to them and kept it for me. I walked in and picked it up and took it up the mountain.
That was certainly nice of them to do that. You could have mailed it to General Delivery in N Conway and picked it up there. Or just mail it to me and I would drop it off. Anyone local would help out if we could.

iceclimber
01-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Thanks. On the way back I stopped in at the train museum off HWY 16. I was in there looking around and asked where the nearest post office was located. I made it 5 mins before closing to mail my stove back to FL. It arrived safe just yesterday. I thought about chancing it and checking it on my luggage, but am glad I did not. It is an MSR whisper lite intl. Not the most expensive, but I don't want to have to replace a perfectly good stove.

climbabout
01-06-2011, 04:58 PM
You guys looking to do a winter or summer climb?
Tim

smithtim
01-07-2011, 10:45 PM
You guys looking to do a winter or summer climb?
Tim

if they are taking a guide and it is winter I think they should at least do Central Gully as they'd have an opportunity to learn multiple things such as ropes, tying into harness,screws etc, yet Central isn't really that tough. I think most places would actually call it "a guided ice climb" on their price lists. Of course if there is absoultley no prior climbing experience then maybe not such a good idea.

smithtim
01-07-2011, 11:00 PM
Also, just to clarify something here to hopefully avoid people getting mixed up.While they are housed together the websites are split: IME is Rick's school which does all of the big international trips. Then IMC is the local "international mountain climbing school" which does climbs on Washington and local ice/rock! Here's the linkee to the local climbing school as the one give prior was for Rick's http://www.ime-usa.com/imcs/index.html

BTW if you guys do choose IMC and are doing something technical I'd recommend Craig Taylor as I just did a technical ice climb (well WI) with him and he was by far the best guide I've ever hired!

Best of luck on the mountain and enjoy your trip to the US

iceclimber
01-08-2011, 08:31 PM
I'd like to go up Hillman's Highway the next time I go up Washington. Once I saw that, I was kicking myself for going up Lions Head, but being my first time on Washington, nothing to complain about.

smithtim
01-09-2011, 04:04 PM
I'd like to go up Hillman's Highway the next time I go up Washington. Once I saw that, I was kicking myself for going up Lions Head, but being my first time on Washington, nothing to complain about.

I worry a bit about going up the central tuckermans headwall in winter as you never know if a random skilled ( or unskilled) skier will drop in at the top and send a nice pile of fluff if not a slab down on the climber :(

I've noticed in hunningtons ravine the problem kinda solves itself due to the pretty much not skiable ice gullies up top

iceclimber
01-09-2011, 06:11 PM
That is true. I guess if I were to do it, I would camp at Hermit Lake and wake up really early and that way, I would be up before too many people had even hiked up to that point.

smithtim
01-09-2011, 08:02 PM
alpine start is the way to go :)