PDA

View Full Version : How Often Do You Check The MWO Website

Bill O
02-20-2007, 01:52 PM
How often, and what's your most favorite part of the site?

Bill O
02-20-2007, 02:02 PM
I picked more than once a day, only because "obsessively" wasn't an option.

As for my favorite parts...I'll take webcams, only slightly over observations, which narrowly beats out observer comments and obscasts. Like others have said, the entire site is awesome.

Patrad Fischroy
02-20-2007, 02:54 PM
I also check the website frequently, more than once per day on weekdays, and generally once on the weekend days.
Favorite places are the Observer comments, the cameras and this Forum

KD Talbot
02-20-2007, 03:38 PM
I check in several times a day and suffer withdrawal when I can't. The photojournal and then the webcams got me started and kept me coming back. The new views and time lapse videos are awesome, but I think the forum has taken over as my favorite as it is more of an instant gratification thing that we modern people crave these days.
KDT

Rich
02-20-2007, 09:09 PM
I look forward to the morning "read" with my coffee and then a few more times during the day. Can't beat those webcams especially with the new premium content!! Photo journal and forums tie for second. It's all good!

Steve M
02-20-2007, 10:47 PM
I too am a compulsive MWO website fan. I discovered it years ago and have become more and more addicted to it ever since. I used to check it mostly in the winter to see how insane the weather was, but now I check it several times a day if at all possible.
Usually when I hit the site I check out the current conditions, then the observers comments(if their new), then any photos of the day(again if new), then the webcams, and, if there is time, I visit the forums to see what ya'll have to say. I really enjoy the photo gallery from time to time as well.

I think it is great that this site has a place where people with a love of the mountains, the weather, and hiking can talk and share their experiences and knowledge with others with the same interests.

It rocks!

AlpineHikerFan71
02-21-2007, 09:25 AM
Well since we arew adding comments as well, I voted 2 days ago and visit 3-4 times a day, in the morning as I am getting my work together for the day, and then once during the day and then also in the evening and then again before I go to bed.
The membership benefits are superb with the new cam views and I love the forum the second most I would say. Love to hear what everyone is saying about the differ subjects here. Just all in all an awesome site with so much to offer and being a weather "geek" , this is great.
thanks to all who put this together:D

Brad
02-21-2007, 05:39 PM
Okay, I have to admit I am in the excessive category. Yes, I check the site multiple times a day. I go to the Observer Comments - the Daily Report in the morning - the premium videos on clear-ish days.

But, I have a Yahoo Widget running on my computer which cycles through the 5 web camera images and the Condition image. You give the widget (WebImages) the URL for the image and it will show the image in a small window. It cycles through the images every xx number of seconds/minutes. So, as I am working on the laptop I normally will grab that small window and put it over on the second display and the images cycle through - all day. It is like an electronic picture frame.

Trekker
02-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Yes, I, too, am one of the obsessive ones who checks into the "rock pile's" web site more than once a day. I have the MWO web site as my default web browser window. Every morning I log on and see what conditions are like, read the comments and check to see if any new photos have been posted - many of which end up as my desktop picture. That's probably my line-up of favorites, right there. (My current desktop photo is the shot of Lakes of the Clouds with the snow drift - Oh, if only I could be there) Nothing like a little snow to tunnel and play in. Every now and then, when work is slow - i.e. now - I get a chance to follow along with some of the forum threads. It's wonderful to share this space with others who share the same, deep love of Mt. Washington and the Whites in general. I'm saving up my dollars, bit by bit, for the family membership that will allow me to view the new content. I can't wait!

benytomato
02-22-2007, 10:02 PM
I have been fascinated with this website for many years, checking the weather at the summit sometimes before looking out the window at the local weather.
After a period of daily viewing I decided to try a hike, and then I REALLY began viewing the site for long periods, almost memorizing the photo journal.
After hiking, I have, as my wife says, become obsessed with this site, always sending her pictures from the journal, or even a temperature check.

My only concern is that I may be too old to qualify for an edu trip.

Trekker
02-23-2007, 07:53 AM
Is anyone EVER too old to learn something?
I can't imagine thinking that . . .
The only condition that would prevent you from qualifying is if you are SO old that you are unable to hike to safety in the event of an emergency. You are expected to be physically fit enough (and prepared clothing-wise) to hike down if something goes wrong.
If you have never hiked in the Whites and are just "starting out" in your hiking world - I'd LOVE to be there when you experience the summit of Mt. Washington! - It will BLOW YOU AWAY!!
You will be seriously hooked for life!! And you thought you were obsessive about the website before . . .
Good luck - but remember - age has NOTHING to do with it . . .

KD Talbot
02-23-2007, 08:12 PM
On my first Edu trip there were several people between 60-70. No problem!

A woman in her seventies spends a week at a time on the summit during the summer months running the museum. Her name is Sunshine and I think working up there keeps her young!

As was stated, I think the only thing that might keep you down would be illness or infirmity (is that the same thing?). I say go for it! Well worth it and the money goes to a great cause, keeping the Obs up and running.

Don't forget, there are overnight summer trips, too, which don't require buying or renting all the expensive gear!
KDT

Brad
02-23-2007, 08:16 PM
My goal is to retire and then be able to hike to the summit every other week for a whole summer. A couple of years ago I hiked to the summit two weeks in a row - and it was wonderful. It took 3 days to recover after the first hike. I was not sore or tired after the second hike.

Many times when hiking I see men quite a bit older than I - moving along the trail at a steady pace - and a lot faster than I am going. That is what I want to do. Where do I sign up?

PatriciaS
02-24-2007, 08:18 PM
I too thought I was the only one who checked the website many times a day! I am totally fascinated with the Mountain! I recently joined the MWO when I did an overnight trip with EMS in December. It was my first time to hike the mountain (summer or winter)..I still can not believe that I made it!
I joined the forum after I read this thread specifically....kinda cool to know that I am not the only one! Thanks for all of your stories, pictures, and advice! I can not wait to get back to the area to have more adventures and hike that beautiful mountain again!

Arthur Dent
02-27-2007, 06:16 PM
KD Talbot-"A woman in her seventies spends a week at a time on the summit during the summer months running the museum. Her name is Sunshine and I think working up there keeps her young!"...and she makes the best pies! She consistently wins blue ribbons for her cooking at the fall fairs.

Brad
02-27-2007, 07:28 PM
Hmmmm, where do I sign up?