PDA

View Full Version : Mark Truman's Blog Posting

KSearl
01-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Hi Everyone,

I typically don't post my blog write ups on here unless it is in conjunction with a trip report for a hike. However, today, I've decided to share the latest post on Live Free and Hike New Hampshire with you.

Mark Truman was kind enough to be my first guest blogger of this year and wrote up a great article for me and the readers. Since I know many of you are good friends with Mark, I thought that you would appreciate it as much as I did.

http://livefreeandhikenh.blogspot.com/2011/01/journey-to-mountains-guest-blogger-post.html

Thanks again Mark!

Karl

BlueDog
01-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Wow! What a fantastic read Mark. So many good visuals and memories its hard to comment on anything but the entire post.

Last paragraph really hits it home...

Every day in the mountains is a good day and each time I drive into Franconia Notch and feel the mountains reaching out and wrapping themselves around me, it’s just like that first time. We’re also planning for our retirement (which is still too many years away) and know that there’s only one place we want to be. The mountains have called us. This journey will be complete and we will be home.

ow2010
01-10-2011, 07:12 PM
I really enjoyed reading your column, Mark. What a great story! I definitely have to agree with the section about winter in the mountains - I used to hate winter as well, but once you discover winter hiking, it's a whole other world.
I can also relate to that feeling you describe when driving into Franconia Notch - there's no other feeling. Maybe it's just me, but I always roll my window down as I pass Cannon so I can really take in the mountain air.
And you're right...I always wonder if the drive is worth it just to hike a mountain or two...and it's always worth it. No such thing as a bad trip to the mountains (barring any serious injury of course).

Really enjoyed the read. By the way, great blog, Karl!

Snow Miser
01-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Great story Mark! I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks for writing and sharing it. Thanks too to Karl for a really nice blog covering the mountains we all love so much. :)

Trailsend
01-10-2011, 09:10 PM
What a wonderful story Mark, I really enjoy the read. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Jimmy Legs and Little d
01-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Karl,
That is a great idea to have guest blogs.

Mark,
As a famous radio personality of years gone by used to say "and now we know the rest of the story". We both thoroughly enjoyed reading yours and Natalie's history as to how you became hooked on hiking in Maine and New Hampshire. What a wonderful story. I always find it interesting reading about how others get started in hiking and especially those who share our favorite hiking areas too.

Again, a great job.

Donna:):)

Anna LeBlanc
01-12-2011, 09:02 PM
What a wonderful story Mark.It made me remember how I felt the first time my parents brought me to the Whites on vacation.I've been in love with them ever since and introduced Gary to hiking here too.
Karl -this is a wonderful idea that you have.

KathyC
01-13-2011, 07:50 PM
What a Great read, I enjoyed it so much. I worked a fun 12 hr. day today and that really took me away for a bit and made me smile. Though I am not much of a hiker.........YET......you captured the way myself and I think many of feel about NH and especially the Whites. I Love taking that 6+ hr. drive, I just LOVE it there, the feeling is just hard to describe.